Wind Deflectors...the perfect Winter Mod!

Looks really good! I run that same style PowerMadd on my snowmobile and they work pretty good. You can kind of see them around the windshield in the picture. Those have a snap off cover over the top part so if it gets warm you can snap those off and get some air flow to your hands. Very slick. When it gets really cold I even put nylon gauntlets over the powermads to deflect even more wind. You know it's cold when you've got those two things plus the hand warmers cranked to the max and wearing lined gortex leather gloves and your hands still get cold. Oh well, bike will be long put away by that time :)

mmmm yamaha attack! rode one for two years it was a 2006, loved dad being a dealer got to ride it as a demo. Smoked many F6,F7,and F8's :thumbup: nothing like 150hp of pure 4 stoke thumper power to blow away the competition. wish we still got decent snow round here in ny...... anyway was gonna say yeah we have sold tons of powermadd hand guards and mount kits for snowmobiles. Our departed salesman (R.I.P.) used them on all of his sleds!

Here's some convincing wolf from the photo's they dont look bad at all, actually look like they were meant to be with those mirrors.

Thanks Jules, i have grown to like them more today, the work a treat, and yes do sorta match the mirrors.

Will look even better when i get the Black Handguard Extensions....you can see them on the Pwermadd link i posted earlier in this thread.

Gotta catch up with everyone for a ride...am itching to get out there.

mmmm yamaha attack! rode one for two years it was a 2006, loved dad being a dealer got to ride it as a demo. Smoked many F6,F7,and F8's :thumbup: nothing like 150hp of pure 4 stoke thumper power to blow away the competition. wish we still got decent snow round here in ny...... anyway was gonna say yeah we have sold tons of powermadd hand guards and mount kits for snowmobiles. Our departed salesman (R.I.P.) used them on all of his sleds!
It is an awesome sled. The engine is just so awesome, there's no better way to describe it. It may be a heavy beast, but for trail riding and the occasional boon-dock, it's just awesome. Not to mention the GYTR shocks up front and electronically adjustable Ohlins in the rear. It's pretty cool to be able to look ahead and go "oh crap, big dip!" push a button and have your shock stiffened up by the time you get there so you don't bottom out. And once you're past it, return it to a nice plush ride. I've ridden an Kitty Cat F7 and Rev XP 600 SDI as well. Both were nice, but I've always been more than happy to get back on the Attak. I think of the Yamaha 4-strokes as Corevettes, go like hell off the line, awesome ride, not the most nimble but still able to handle while the two stroke are like a Subaru, light weight and very easy to throw around in the super twisties but not quite as at home on the straits.

Last edited:
Ok, here are a few photo's taken during the day of the wind deflectors. It gives you a much better idea of how the wind deflectors look. The photo's at the start of this thread were taken at night with poor light and a crap flash!

Oh and in a couple of the photo's you can also see one of my other little cheap mods, my recently acquirred rim stripes. cost me $20 for the tape, took me 45 minutes to put on. Was a lot easier to do than the bike shop made it out to be...guess they wanted me to part with the $100 they quoted me to get it done by them!

Just ordered a pair. Thanks for sharing this mod.

My hands were killing me last winter riding to work in the low 20s F.

Even with glove liners and winter gloves. Finger hurt like h*ll and they were dead numb by the time I got to work.

Ouch,

I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

I remember reading a post from someone in this thread, but didn't really understand what they were asking :confused: until after I made the purchase.

Now I understand the question is "Will this mod work on the FZ6 version with the fairing?"

Looking at my bike right now and the bar clearance during turns I think the answer will be no. But since the order is already in, I will see what can be done and let you all know.

When I was riding my XT225 early last year (started in January), my fingers nearly froze solid. I installed Acerbis handguards and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It stopped the flow of air over my fingers and I was comfortable all day long on the little Dual Sport.
Quite honestly, I don't know why more riders don't install them in cold weather. Some of the BMW road bikes have them as OEM on their bikes. Remember that they also do duty against flying rocks and may just save a finger or two in a crash. If I do find that I'll be riding my FZ6 in cooler weather, I will install the PowerMadd handguards.

Ok, here are a few photo's taken during the day of the wind deflectors. It gives you a much better idea of how the wind deflectors look. The photo's at the start of this thread were taken at night with poor light and a crap flash!

When you get a chance, could you post a photo of each side of the handlebars from the rear, showing how/where the PowerMadd mounting kit installs on the bars? :) I really like the look/functionality of the Star visors, particularly in black/black.

Ouch,

I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

I remember reading a post from someone in this thread, but didn't really understand what they were asking :confused: until after I made the purchase.

Now I understand the question is "Will this mod work on the FZ6 version with the fairing?"

Looking at my bike right now and the bar clearance during turns I think the answer will be no. But since the order is already in, I will see what can be done and let you all know.

Uh oh...good point. I look forward to your report before I order. :D

On my bike, i mounted the 10mm wide bracket between my grips, and the switch block on each side. I did have to loosen my switch blocks, and move them in towards the middle of the Bars the required 10mm to accomodate the bracket on each side.

had to goto pt lincoln to do some work and decided id ride over to see what it was like on distance(took the ferry from walleroo) so 200km 1st leg and 175 2nd leg unfortunately it rained for the full first leg and had rain , hail and gale force winds on the 2nd leg lol was not pleasant.

heading back to adelaide tomorrow so hopefully its a little more mild.

anyway the original aim of my post was to say omfg i will never ride a long trip in winter again until i have got myself a set of the hand grip heaters and wind deflectors lol

had to goto pt lincoln to do some work and decided id ride over to see what it was like on distance(took the ferry from walleroo) so 200km 1st leg and 175 2nd leg unfortunately it rained for the full first leg and had rain , hail and gale force winds on the 2nd leg lol was not pleasant.

heading back to adelaide tomorrow so hopefully its a little more mild.

anyway the original aim of my post was to say omfg i will never ride a long trip in winter again until i have got myself a set of the hand grip heaters and wind deflectors lol

Well for $170 for the grips and the deflectors, you will be a happy chappy! Worth every penny i reckon.

An update on Wind Deflectors, have now taken them off for Summer, as i have also done with my screen. Bike is in Summer clothes now.

It took about 5 minutes to take the Wind Deflectors & Screen off.

They did their job perfectly all winter. No more Chill blains for Wolfman!

:Flash:

ironically, had the same idea before I ran into this thread looking for advice....some pics below. I kinda bought em on a whim, but the color matches perfect and they look cool.....I think. Hard to tell with the lighting, but they match the dark blue pretty dead on, so they don't stand out too much. Depends watcha into....

Last edited:
ironically, had the same idea before I ran into this thread looking for advice....some pics below. I kinda bought em on a whim, but the color matches perfect and they look cool.....I think. Hard to tell with the lighting, but they match the dark blue pretty dead on, so they don't stand out too much. Depends watcha into....

Took me a couple of days to get used to the look, but it grows on you, especially when you add in the benefits of having them in cold & wet weather.

:thumbup:

I do believe you've just cost me money! My hands are the biggest complaint about the beginning and end of the riding season here. This may extend that with comfort! I don't care about style at that point!

Thanks Wolfman! :thumbup:

Everyone.... \"Clap for the Wolfman!\"

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that he's got a naked. You'd need to factor in bar clearance to the front fairing at full lock. You may not be able to use the steering lock if you can't get the bars turned all the way.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that he's got a naked. You'd need to factor in bar clearance to the front fairing at full lock. You may not be able to use the steering lock if you can't get the bars turned all the way.

I did forget to mention this, as soon as I got everything straightened and tightened up, I realized the fairing steering clearence issue. I went with mounting them OVER the brake/clutch levers, but the more I look at it, perhaps going under would give me the necessary clearance for the fairing. I'll get back with more.......right now, I CANNOT* use the steering lock with the current set-up

BTW...I'm losing about an inch of steering in both directions....any potential safety hazards here? I figure the only time the bars ever get that way is when I'm at a stop/parking, but I'm inexperienced?:eek:

I did forget to mention this, as soon as I got everything straightened and tightened up, I realized the fairing steering clearence issue.

Doh! I just ordered these before reading the end of the thread. :banghead:

Any luck getting them to fit better on a stock FZ?

Back