Wing mirror arm corroded

gamestone

Reaction score
www.gamestone.co.uk
Excellent news:-

They are replacing both mirror arms under warranty. :cool:

They've ordered the mirrors and are now in stock, trouble is they are fully booked for the next week, they can only fit me in next Saturday (7th March), not too much of a problem.

They will be fitting them as I wait as it's only a simply job (I know because I removed them when I fitted my Knuckle Visors).

I guess their hoping I hang around the shop waiting and buy something like a new bike. ;)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great to hear they are changing them for you, only right considering its a manufacturing fault :thumbup:

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Those red ones are poor quality alright.
I am gutted for you mate. One of the problems of covers is that they are just like having a warm body breathing inside a tent. The condensation will kill your bike + the salt on the roads. I used to also use a cover and have suffered the same problems on previous bikes. You could try putting the cover on once the bike has cooled.

I agree completly. Before i had a garage i had a yamaha V-star 1100 and it stayed outside all the time. I used a cover and it got rust spots and corrosion all over it. My first FZ stayed outside next to the v-star, but had no cover. I rope it just about everyday, and it didnt get anything a little soap and water couldnt remove.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent news:-

They are replacing both mirror arms under warranty. :cool:

They've ordered the mirrors and are now in stock, trouble is they are fully booked for the next week, they can only fit me in next Saturday (7th March), not too much of a problem.

They will be fitting them as I wait as it's only a simply job (I know because I removed them when I fitted my Knuckle Visors).

I guess their hoping I hang around the shop waiting and buy something like a new bike. ;)

Why not just put them on yourself and save time? Or is it the only way they will do it under warranty?

gamestone

Reaction score
www.gamestone.co.uk
Why not just put them on yourself and save time? Or is it the only way they will do it under warranty?

If I fitted them myself I would'nt be covered for the work and if something breaks I would have to foot the bill.

The dealer claims back any warranty work from the manufacturer (Yamaha) so it's not costing the dealer anything to fit them and it only take 10-15 minutes to do anyway.

No rush as the mirror's still 'work'.

Lucky they are replacing them as they cost $74.00 (about £50) each.

If they weren't replacing them I would have just shock blasted, cleaned and resprayed them myself.

I've had a few bikes over the years and have never had paint flake off like that, some of the bikes where over tens years old.

If it happens to the mirrors what's stopping it happening to the engine or frame. :eek:

Last edited:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Yesterday I removed my Motorbike cover (carefully) and I saw a few pieces of peeled paint flutter down. To my surprise (shock) I saw that the paint had come off my wing mirror arm (for want of a better word), not only had some paint come off but it was also corroded underneath.

I bought my bike at the beginning of June 2007, I can't believe it's already disintegrating. Now I know my bike is outside nearly all of the time, but I do use a motorbike cover, and wash it regularly. Before the winter I had sprayed most of the engine parts and bare metal with anti corrosion spray, but I didn't think it was necessary for the wing mirrors.

Well I'm going to go to the dealer on Saturday and see what he says about it.

I have exactly the same problem on my LHS mirror. Let me know what they say.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my LH Stalk has now gone :( my dealer will be replacing it when he gets the parts in. The Fazer has a 2 year warranty on body work (in Holland anyway).
I met up with Ton (Thulst) at the weekend and he has the same problem (on both mirrors).
So this is one to look out for the guys 'n gals .
This only happens with the aluminium stalks (2007+)

Last edited:

Rev-A

Reaction score
Visit site
My mirror arms are also corroded, FZ6 2005. Not really bad, but it is clearly visible. I think it looks cheap :(

Unfortunately the bike was no longer under warranty when I bought it (was 2,5 years old) so I have 2 options.

1. buy new ones. I can buy them from Bike-Design for 50 euro's a piece, but they are from a replacement company named Vicma. I hope the quality is the same? They say they are exact replica's... Yamaha originals are 75 euro a piece!

2. Do a little DIY and re-paint the mirrors myself. I am terrible at DIY though :p

or off course option 3, do nothing :p

I also have some scratches (from previous owner) on the plastic end of the mirrors which bother me. I don't know if that is repairable (sanding and painting?)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my LH Stalk has now gone :( my dealer will be replacing it when he gets the parts in. The Fazer has a 2 year warranty on body work (in Holland anyway).
.......... .
This only happens with the aluminium stalks (2007+)

I take back my words on this one it is not only the 2007+ models that have aluminium stalks.

My mirror arms are also corroded, FZ6 2005. Not really bad, but it is clearly visible. I think it looks cheap :(

.........I also have some scratches (from previous owner) on the plastic end of the mirrors which bother me. I don't know if that is repairable (sanding and painting?)

Robin I was surprised to see that your aluminium stalks were also corroded as everyone else seemed to say that the Pre 2007 bikes have plastic stalks.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got my new wing mirrors on last week just before the 2 year body work guarantee ran out. Hopefully it will stay uncorroded this time.