Winter Riding

Just for laughs, this is my street last March, 2008, after it had been cleaned, deep in Southern Canada. No that cloud of snow is not an FZ rider trying to ride, it is my neighbour with a snow blower. My FZ was tucked in all coxy like under a blanket in the garage, just like a bear hibernating with a full tank. I would rub its belly every time I walked by to make sure it knows I still love it.

Yeah....no chance of winter riding here. We usually don't get hit by snow til December so I usually ride out the cold until then but once it starts snowing it rarely fully melts before the next snowfall and in the rare chance it does there's so much gravel and sludge on the streets I could never bring myself to subject the bike to it.

Make sure you wear adequate gear that keeps you warm. Riding comfort goes a long way in handling road hazards effectively. And keep a hour by hour watch on the weather everytime you decide to ride.

Well, I dont have to worry about that anymore moving from St. Louis to San Diego.

But if i was you, Id probably stick to riding in the others tire lane if that hasnt been said already, i didnt read all the posts!:eek:

Or put a side car on it.:D

I kept riding all winter last winter, and like you it was my first cold season as a bike rider. Utah is what they call "high desert", arid, so even though we get lots of snow the roads are pretty clear most of the time; plus, the sprinkler systems here on the Wasatch front run off reservoir water, which is turned off in October, so no sprinklers going after that to worry about.
Like you, the cold doesn't bother me (I snowmobiled in Minnesota growing up). I wouldn't ride when there was a good chance of snow, but what really limited my riding was my faceshield: anything below +23 degrees F. and my faceshield would frost over, and I'd have to take the cage. I'd almost like to go with goggles and an open helmet, but I've already met two local riders who've crashed in open helmets and had broken their jaws, so I don't want to go that route.
Never used a Battery Tender, I think as long as you can run her once a month, you'll be okay. :thumbup:

Just for laughs, this is my street last March, 2008, after it had been cleaned, deep in Southern Canada. No that cloud of snow is not an FZ rider trying to ride, it is my neighbour with a snow blower. My FZ was tucked in all coxy like under a blanket in the garage, just like a bear hibernating with a full tank. I would rub its belly every time I walked by to make sure it knows I still love it.
Man I don't know if you will believe this or not but maybe some in my area will back me on this. If it was to snow like that here the stores would be out of stock of everything. There would be mad chaos, ppl killing and rioting each other. The news would be claiming the world is coming to a end. It would be nuts. LOL

Last year was my first on a moto, and I rode through the Winter, though I usually confined it to the early afternoons. I bought a battery tender and drygas, but never had to use either. Here in southern NY there are plenty of moderate Winter days (though I think we're in for a tough time this year), so I generally got in a few days of riding each week.

Definitely be on the watch for ice. I've ridden in light hail a couple of times; wanted to go back but then I noticed that the hail was melting right away and the clouds were localized, so it was something I could forge through.

Also be on the watch for the effects of road salt. On my baby nija a lot of the bare metal parts lost their sheen due to salt, and the chain rusted a bit. I'm not sure what to cover these parts with, maybe an occasional coat of oil. Not sure what the fz's exhaust pipes will do with the salt.

Temperature-wise, I wore a neck protector, and was pretty good except for my hands. I really need to get some deflectors this year.

All in all, riding in the crisp Winter air is really great. Very invigorating, and I believe good for strengthening the metabolism. Just watch out for ice.

I ride year long, but my commute is only 9 miles one way. Boston does snow, so when there is white stuff on the ground or a lot of ice I don't ride. I wear full protection with thermal liners and bought BMW Pro Winter gloves which seem better than the Tourmaster Cold-Tex in protecting under 30 degrees. I also don't "winterize" my bike. I just ride. occassionally, it gets buried under some snow and I have to wait for it to melt which can take some weeks. As someone mentioned before, the key is to have very soft transitions, easy on the gas and brakes and use the momentum through corners and slides. I'll see how this winter goes.

I also want to ride in this winter. Lets see how we gonna do.... :) First I am thinking to change my Mobil 1 15w-50 to 5w or 10w fully syntetic oil then buy some gear; gloves, pants and boots... We see how winter freezes :D

Last edited:
Thinking about wearing my ski pants over my regular riding pants once it starts to get cold. I have to agree about not riding below 32. That whole ice thing sounds kind of scary...

Lately the winters here are just wet, not cold enough for real snow and ice (which is a pitty). However during nights temps do get below freezing so roads can get slippery. The biggest problem with that is the salt they put on the roads to keep it from freezing. That salt really eats your bike, so'd I have to clean it after every ride. So my solution is to ride the Fazers grandpa, my old FJ600. I'm preparing it now for the winter, putting grease and tectyl on it to protect it from the salt. Have to be finished at the end of october, before they start putting salt on the road. :rolleyes:

I rode all year round in Tasmania and it was damn cold,worked on a farm and didn't have a car for about 4 years so had to ride.Long underwear is the way to go and inner gloves are a big help also.Get good gear and watch out for the ice and above all ride to the conditions and you will be fine :thumbup:

I ride all year round, in winter, it gets quite cold where i live....I use the following, and dont get cold.

Thermal Pants & Top, lined leathers, with removable quilted jacket insert, Neoprene Neck-a-clava, Decent winter gloves (wind, water, and cold proof), Decent lined boots (water & wind proof). Heated grips, a decent screen, and some Wind deflectors for your handlebars.

Only other thing i add is a fleecy jumper under my jacket, when it's real cold.

just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:

I ride more in the winter months.... :rockon:

just have to watch out for those old cagers from NY & Mich :rolleyes:

our riding season is just getting started in a big way

I plan on it as well.

This morning it's in the 50's! I might have to put a long sleeve shirt on.

Back