Yamaha FZ6 2004 Radiator Cap

bogdan192

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. Has anyone dabbed in the black art of using non-OEM radiator caps for their FZ6? If so, which one worked best for you?

Mine just kicked the bucket a few weeks ago (engine got really hot) and now I'm riding with a loaner from an R6, but I have to give it back.

Problem is that the Yamaha part (4FL-12462-00) is insanely expensive (~$70 shipped). So if you found any non-oem part that worked well for you, please do share.

bogdan192

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately it's used, I was looking for brand new. Radiator caps, in my experience, tend to lose their sealing/mechanical properties with age. And in the US. I'm located in Romania so shipping really screws me over for US stuff. That item has a $25 shipping cost :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was Partzilla;

https://www.partzilla.com/index.php?pcsid=oa0nvk1sein91o9qsiasnbr137&p=cart

That if you ask, you can have it shipped first class. About a third the price posted on the site.

PM Fazil, I believe he ordered some stuff from the states.

BTW, I'm getting ready to ship some helmet lock brackets (for an FJR) to Switzerland (weighs about the same as your cap), first class is $10.00 US.

Keeping the weight DOWN is critical.

[MENTION=6038]fazil[/MENTION]

Last edited:

bogdan192

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=24491]ozgurakman[/MENTION]: Radiator did not spill coolant, it just overheated (blinking last line on the dash) and caused the level in the expansion bottle to drop. Running in traffic with the old cap kept causing the coolant level to drop every single day (I had to refill it constantly). Engine temperature was getting to 4 lines on the dash after ~5 minutes of running the engine on idle and it would constantly stay there despite fan running. No external leaks were detected upon close investigation, oil was pristine, no white smoke on exhaust. My mechanic replaced the coolant in the expansion bottle then replaced the old cap with one from a 2006 (I think) R6. After this, no further drop in coolant level was observed for more than 2 weeks. Engine temperature is OK-ish now (3-4 lines in heavy traffic/stoplights).This led him to recommend changing the old cap as it may have lost it's capacity to properly seal the radiator.

[MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION]: TYVM. I sent them an email asking for a quotation.

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Now everything is clear. You would try to buy from eBay.de or another eu sellers from eBay for low shipping cost.

I'm using German eBay site for second hand purchases. Shipping is fast and cheap than UK or US

Last edited: