• 13-15 years old

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 15 years old and above

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

TheVmaxrider

As the law here in Ontario is, for now, that they have to be able to reach the passenger pegs the youngest person that has ridden with me is my step daughter who started at age 10. She is actually quite possesive of my pillion pad, in her words "That is MY seat" when I mentioned one of my other daughters would want to go on a ride when visiting.

Took her on a twisty, nasty stretch of road and layed the bike right on over in the turns, at the end asked her if she had fun. Her response "That was fun until I looked down and my knees were just off the road". Need to get her some knee pucks:thumbup:

klouseau

Canadian Hoserette
Reaction score
www.klouseau.com
My children have regularly rode with me since about 6 years of age.

My son rode from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Bar Harbor, Maine and back when he was 8 years of age, all back roads, no major freeways. My FZ6 had a backrest and trunk to protect him. He loved it!

W

wrightme43

The law in Kentucky is any DOT approved helmet. Thats it. I dont really give a crap about the law though. She has spine armor, shoulder/collarbone armor, elbow/forarm armor, knee/shin armor all in a cordura one piece suit, high top shoes, leather gloves with armor, and a full face helmet. Its as safe as I can make it.

My parents wouldnt let me do hardly anything, then I got old enough to leave and do what I wanted on my own. At 11 or 12 I started smoking, by 13 smoking pot and drinking, other drugs as I got to 15 or so. I know me now. I know how my brain works and the passions that drive me now. I dont drink or drug at all. I became obsesed with working on race cars, just for free showing up to help just to learn and be around them. That helped to move in a direction away from drugs and alcohol. I believe if you give kids something to be passionate about that excludes the use of drugs or alcohol, a reason to use them will not be there.

Also she loves riding with me now. Her eyes get that same crazy look I see in the mirror when I get to ride. I just cruise with her on the bike, take it easy and enjoy.

I also have these things called Pillion Pals. Its a thick web belt I wear with hand holds like a ski rope on each side for her.

Also take a look at statisics. I believe three passengers were killed on motorbikes last year in KY.

No children.

How many were killed in cars?
On ATVs?
Walking to school?
Skateboarding?
How many drowned in swimming pools?

Lifes a risk. Shelter either breeds weenies or over the top risk takers.
Balance is very difficult to find.

Whats really safer?

Just my opinions and I am a known opinionated crudgemudgeon. LOL :thumbup:

BKKFZ6

Regular Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Youngest Pilion Age

Reading the posts here, there is one thing that comes across as a general theme, and that is that M/C are definitely secondary modes of transport. Here in Asia the Honda Step through IS the family car and thus the M/C is the main means of transportation for many. That means that they ride with their kids on the bike is it quite "normal". Of course these are 125's but they can get up to 100 KM/hr. I am quite interested to find out that some countries will not even allow youngsters less than 15 years old on a bike. Is that a bit over-protective?

I have had my daughter on the bike since age of 3. Most of the time she perches in front of me laying on the tank. Most driving is all in the neighborhood, so I am not talking about highway and twisties here. I am talking about top speeds of 20-25 MPH and average speeds of 12 MPH. (My wife has a little electric bike from china, it tops out at 15 MPH, and in town I often cannot keep up with her because she can navigate narrower openings in traffic). My daughter will also ride on that bike with her mom.

No matter which vehicle she rides, she wears a helmet. So am I a negligent parent? Good question. By comparison, average bicycle speed is about 15 mph. Is taking her on the bikes putting her in higher danger than any parent that puts their kid into a bicycle carrier and pedals around the neighborhood? I am unsure. The bike is heavier, if it goes down on top of her that's definitely a bad point. On the other hand I argue to my wife that the bike has better brakes, is more visible and has the power to accelerate to avoid accidents that a bicycle does not.

Comments. (...law suits?:eek:)

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Youngest Pilion Age

Reading the posts here, there is one thing that comes across as a general theme, and that is that M/C are definitely secondary modes of transport. Here in Asia the Honda Step through IS the family car and thus the M/C is the main means of transportation for many. That means that they ride with their kids on the bike is it quite \"normal\". Of course these are 125's but they can get up to 100 KM/hr. I am quite interested to find out that some countries will not even allow youngsters less than 15 years old on a bike. Is that a bit over-protective?

I have had my daughter on the bike since age of 3. Most of the time she perches in front of me laying on the tank. Most driving is all in the neighborhood, so I am not talking about highway and twisties here. I am talking about top speeds of 20-25 MPH and average speeds of 12 MPH. (My wife has a little electric bike from china, it tops out at 15 MPH, and in town I often cannot keep up with her because she can navigate narrower openings in traffic). My daughter will also ride on that bike with her mom.

No matter which vehicle she rides, she wears a helmet. So am I a negligent parent? Good question. By comparison, average bicycle speed is about 15 mph. Is taking her on the bikes putting her in higher danger than any parent that puts their kid into a bicycle carrier and pedals around the neighborhood? I am unsure. The bike is heavier, if it goes down on top of her that's definitely a bad point. On the other hand I argue to my wife that the bike has better brakes, is more visible and has the power to accelerate to avoid accidents that a bicycle does not.

Comments. (...law suits?:eek:)

I have wanted some sorta Pillion Pal but never knw they actually sold anything like it? thanks and how much did it cost?

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you saying that you carried a \"fetus\" on the back of your fz? In a sandwich box? What is a sandwich box? Is that like a lunch box?

Nope, I'm saying I carried a "foetus".

foetus
<biology, embryology, obstetrics> A developing unborn offspring of an animal that gives birth to its young (as opposed to laying eggs).

From approximately three months after conception the offspring take on a recognisable form (all parts in place, etc.). In human development, the period after the seventh or eighth week of pregnancy is the foetal period.

No idea what a "fetus" is, some kind of made-up word?

A sandwich box is a box you put sandwiches in, similar to a lunch box in many respects, but made specifically to accomodate EU standard sandwiches (E-602249) rather than a general lunch, which could really be anything from an apple to nachos and cheese to a roast dinner and so may not fit entirely correctly.

The foetus developed into a perfectly healthy specimin once it was transfered into it's EU standard Gestation Unit (E-546672) and went on to grow up into a very succesful accountant for the Bundesbank :)

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
The foetus developed into a perfectly healthy specimin once it was transfered into it's EU standard Gestation Unit (E-546672) and went on to grow up into a very succesful accountant for the Bundesbank :)

Had me going until I read this. Grew up for 18 years hey? Last time I checked, FZ6's didn't exist 18 years ago...