Your experience before your Motorcycle safety class: Please help :)

nanner6282

Reaction score
Visit site
i rode dirt bikes for awhile and then i got into quads and had a race yfz450 until i traded it for my fz6. it was a good transition from quad to a bike since i knew all the controls, clutch, etc.

i highly recommend the class. i think you learn a lot more than you would on the street. i wasn't the only girl in my class and it was a lot of fun meeting other girls that like to ride. it's definitely worth the money :thumbup:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My first time on a motorcycle was the MSF class. It's a great way to start. I think there are two reasons why: a) the student listens better to an instructor than a friend/husband, and b) class moves at a much slower pace than any non-professional instructor ever would think to move at. Probably an hour elapses between sitting on the bike the first time and riding it with both feet off the ground. I can't imagine an non-instructor having enough patience to go that slow. But it's very good for the student to have such a slow learning curve when there is so much new stuff to get used to.

Brandon78

Reaction score
Visit site
My MSF class was my first time on the bike. I was really worried beforehand about not being used to the clutch. The pace of the class was so slow that I easily had each skill down before we moved on to the next skill. They spent as much time with the experienced riders un-teaching bad habits as they did teaching us the skills in the first place. I wouldn't even try to get experience before the coarse. Let the pros get you started on a closed coarse and on their bike!

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to thank all who responded and keep them coming, Its interesting to hear your thoughts and experiences.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Summer 2000 I bought a Suzuki GZ250 and spent 3wks riding pillion waiting for my MSF class. We went to the local school parking lot twice before the class and I had to use the WHOLE lot to make a simple turn and spent half my time restarting after stalling :confused: while my 17yo son made it look easy. After the class I gradually went from my quiet local streets (30mph) to the busier 45's then on up..... now an occasional 140mph rush occurs :spank: My ex was very-very patient with me, he never pulled from an intersection unless we both had room to go safely but sometimes I just wasn't ready in my head, :scared: so he would go up to a safe spot and pull in to wait for me to catch up. I didn't want to lead, it freaked me out. My first year I rode 10,000mi and upsized from the 250 to a 650 then to my 900cc Triumph. The class is the best tool, I actually taught my ex something when we went to the mountains.... to look where you want to go and turn your head not just power pull the bike... he rode a cruiser so more work in those twisties Good luck to you both.... just relax, she will be fine & out riding you before you know it ;)

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
Her class starts May 4th - 6th, she is dieing with the bike in the garage and not being able to ride it.

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site
I only had some experience with minibikes. I talked my wife into taking the course so we could ride dirt bikes (dual sport). I purchased an XT225 and I passed the course with no problems and got my license. When my wife took the class (2.5 days), she started out very well, but when they started getting into the more advanced riding techniques (figure 8's, higher speed braking, etc.), she felt she needed more time with the fundamentals and wisely dropped out of the class. I think she could do it again, but since moving down here to Florida our riding areas are much different from Illinois. I simply could not ride the XT225 in the "sugar sand" and moved up to a KDX200 which works well for this area. Totally inappropriate for her though. I commuted once or twice on the little XT, but it scared the heck out of me. Its top speed is about 65 mph and just too light to ride with the SUVs going 70 mph around here. I got a taste of riding on the street and traded the XT for my FZ6. No way could she ride/ learn on this bike. She is only about 5'2". I wish I kept that little XT. It would have been perfect for her. Low seat height (for an offroad bike). If I come across a TW225 or such, I will encourage her to try it again. Those big tires would be a little better in the sand, and she could learn on the many miles of 'forest roads' out here. If I remember correctly, she was riding a honda 250 shadow (or some such cruiser) and it was a perfect size for her.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only experience I had was as a passenger. The first time I ever road alone was during the MSF course.

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
MSF course is the way to go. Before I took the course, I had been a passenger less than a half dozen times and I rode my own bike (brand new) around in 1st gear only about a 100 yards back and fourth on an empty street w/ my brother (an experienced rider) watching. I bought my bike about a month before I could ride it. My brother rode it home from the dealership and to the DMV to register it.

Not to knock my brother, because he's a very patient teacher and has a lot of insight based on experience, but a classroom is the way to go. 1) If you drop the bike, it's not yours. 2) You're among peers who likely know as LITTLE as you do; you don't have to feel like the village idiot amongst a bunch of experienced riders. So you lose the inimidation about asking questions. 3) Not only do you learn from your own noobie mistakes, you learn from other noobie mistakes because you're spending as much time (or more depending on how large the classs is) watching your classmates as performing yourself. 4) I don't know if this applies to all states, but in my state, successful completion means you get your license. You don't have to go through the DMV licensing process. My MSF instructors informed me that the pass rate for the riding portion of the Nevada DMV license exam is less than 10%! 5) Passing the course is a tremendous boost in confidence and that's very important.

In a 3-day class, there really isn't much time to practice. So afterwards, let her get lots of practice time in on empty roads before she plays in traffic. :cheer:

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Just speaking from what I've seen - people with mountain bike or dirt motorcycle experience tend to do better. People who have ridden before are sometimes a little ahead, but sometimes have built terrible habits that hold them back. People who hop on the bike for the first time ever can do brilliantly. Some people aren't comfortable the first time around, then come back and do brilliantly. Some people take the course, do well, pass, and realize that riding a motorcycle isn't the right thing for them, and those people will not die on a motorcycle.

Make sure she gets the details of her score if she goes through the course and passes. That is a good starting point for things-to-work-on.

I can't recommend dirt motorcycle experience enough. It's a way to get comfortable on the bike and build your skills without the distraction and danger of cars, dogs, pedestrians, etc. It's a way to get comfortable with loss of traction and developing the ability to handle and control it at speeds and in contexts where loss of traction is low-consequence.

ngriffin02

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend taught me on a little LTD550 3-4 times before I took the class. That gave me the confidence to even take the class. The class was VERY worth it and taught me a lot.

katlikeafox

Reaction score
Visit site
MSF basic class was definitely worth it. I had no experience before I took the class and got the highest scores on the riding and the written tests of anyone in the class.

In my opinion it is less stressful and scary than learning with a coach like a boyfriend. My guess is the class would avoid any yelling or hurt feelings. :)

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year my dad and I took the MSF Advanced Ridercourse class. Its the 3rd class in the series. He and I have both been riding for about 12 years, and did not take any other classes prior to this one. I have owned many bikes, from a 50 cc scooter to a Bandit 1200 as the largest displacement bike.

I actually took the class on the Bandit, and had a BLAST! We both really learned a ton of tips, refreshers, pointers, etc. Plus in the advanced class you get to do all of the riding on your OWN bike. I felt like a better rider in a lot of areas after I left. I can't say that I got a TON from it, but I definitely got some outside perspective on how I cornered, braked, accelerated, etc.

I highly recommend it to ANY rider, wether you have been riding for a month, or 20 years. Everyone will get something out of it, will learn some great refresher tips, meet some cool people, and have a good fun day!

fredk64

Reaction score
Visit site
I had no experience before taking the MSF and feel that it was a very good investment. My wife took the MSF a year after I did and we have a good time riding together. Invest a good communication system so you can keep track of each other on the road.

Sixpackgal28

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone; First Post and first time owner of a FZ6R. I just bought my bike a week ago and have never ridden before other then as a passenger on my BF's Yamaha. I am scheduled to take the MSC end of April and looking forward to it. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared - however my BF has been riding for over 30 years and is one of the safest riders I have ever seen. He has been extremely patient and supportive with learning and pushing me to take the course. We are going to go to a local parking lot before the course to give me a 101 on some basic things which I believe will help with the nerves as well !!

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you're on the right track. :D Take your time, have fun, and ride safe!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone; First Post and first time owner of a FZ6R. I just bought my bike a week ago and have never ridden before other then as a passenger on my BF's Yamaha. I am scheduled to take the MSC end of April and looking forward to it. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared - however my BF has been riding for over 30 years and is one of the safest riders I have ever seen. He has been extremely patient and supportive with learning and pushing me to take the course. We are going to go to a local parking lot before the course to give me a 101 on some basic things which I believe will help with the nerves as well !!

:welcome: sixpackgal28

Good luck with your course and would love to see pics of your bike!

Last edited: