RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance back in the '70s - and have just finished re-reading it after getting back on a bike.
This book is worth your time if you wonder about living in a world increasingly dominated by technology - and the alarming lack of authenticity it engenders in the people around us. With cell phones now it is even more extreme - like the age of cyborgs or something.
I like how he searches for a balance between his fascination with understanding and repairing the mechanical workings and "systems" in his motorcycle, and his need to understand some of the less rational aspects of himself and people around him who want to reject technology for the ills it brings to society and the planet. Probably a bit too heavy for most - but if just one person picks it up and gets it - its worth mentioning.

Arfa

Reaction score
www.beginnerbiker.com
Picked up ZAMM when stuck out in NJ on my own for a work trip few years ago. Figured it would be an interesting enough read when on my lonesome eating out in bars, restaurants and hotel after working. But wow, had me totally hooked, couldn't put it down, week later finished it on the long haul flight back to UK. Agreed some of the philosophy was a little deep, but enlightening. Loved the different layers of the book. I'd love to retrace Pirsig's route across the US, definitely one for my bucket list. Not read his follow up Lila, one I keep meaning to pick up.