04 fz6 been sitting fuel pump issue

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen other posts on this and I haven't figured out my issue.

Got the bike all cleaned up, new battery ( it was throwing out a code ) cleared the codes, cleaned out the gas tank. Removed and changed fuel pump rotor. Cleaned out pressure relief valve also and it seemed to hold pressure up to 35-40 psi

After doing the above work and hooking up the new battery I got the bike to crank and run but there wasn't much gas In the tank, so it shut off... Won't start now and I removed the fuel pump again to clean it and now I can't get it to go together without gas just running out of fuel outlet... Where normally it shouldnt ( I think) and that's my issue...

I've take. It apart a few times now and every time the fuel just pours out of the fuel outlet... I'm stumped, I can't tell what I'm putting in wrong

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its obviously a safety valve and as you stated something isn't right...

I've never had one apart before, you have hands on experience.

Generally, parts like that only go one one way. Sounds like once the line is attached, fuel isn't flowing thru the valve.

Examine it very closely for proper assembly and if still stuck, post some close up pic's of the parts. There shouldn't much there to assemble...

Where abouts in Florida are you?

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I'll check relief valve and post pics tomorrow.

So, just to be clear because I haven't messed with FI much gas shouldn't just flow out of the outlet of the fuel pump?

And that may mean that once the line is hooked up the bikes not pumping fuel? Bc the relief valve is just open and letting it flow?

Sorry so many questions, just want to understand how this thing works.

And I'm in good old lake city! Lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I'll check relief valve and post pics tomorrow.

So, just to be clear because I haven't messed with FI much gas shouldn't just flow out of the outlet of the fuel pump?

And that may mean that once the line is hooked up the bikes not pumping fuel? Bc the relief valve is just open and letting it flow?

Sorry so many questions, just want to understand how this thing works.

And I'm in good old lake city! Lol

With the fuel line disconnected, the tank shouldn't leak anything...(safety)

Once the fuel line is "plugged" into the valve, it opens the tank valve and then the fuel pump can send fuel as needed to the fuel rail/injectors etc.

A dribble may come out when disconnecting initially, but it should be dry. If not, somethings wrong, crap in valve, something....

The shop manual wouldn't be a help as the pump/valve is NOT meant to be serviced so its basically a hands on / figure it out fix...

PM sent as well...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no check valve on pump. Its on the hose. So if the hose is removed it could empty from the tank. If you look at the pump and think in terms of gravity, if the air is purged from pickup, through the pump body and PR, gravity could allow fuel to siphon from the tank even though it has to go uphill to do it.

I don't see this as an issue preventing it from running and the hoses check valve has nothing to do with the assemblies pressure regulator (PR). Does it maintain 36 psi at the pumps outlet? If so, it should start and idle. That said, there is no "flow/volume" specification that I am aware of. If there are no restrictions, debris, kinked hoses, and blocking the PR allows pressure to cap at ~70psi, the pump is likely OK and your issues are elsewhere.
Perhaps ignition related.

The easy test at this stage is based upon what we know.
It was running so lets assume it is mechanically sound ( valves work, builds compression ect). So, that leaves air, fuel, and spark. Add a 5cc's of fuel to each TB and attempt starting. If if blubers to life for a minute it may be fuel issue. If nothing chnages /cranks but does not fire off/ its time to look at the ignition system. I.e. pull the spark plugs and replace them.

I saw your PM. Hopefully this answers that.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no check valve on pump. Its on the hose. So if the hose is removed it could empty from the tank. If you look at the pump and think in terms of gravity, if the air is purged from pickup, through the pump body and PR, gravity could allow fuel to siphon from the tank even though it has to go uphill to do it.

I can un-plug my fuel line from a half full tank and the tank does not leak a drop.

(that's W/O emptying the tank/purging all lines/pump, etc, simply raising the tank and un-plugging the line).

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are stating that you're leaving the High Pressure hose attached to the pump/tank; yes? The HP hose has a check valve at the disconnect. The pump body by itself has no check valve. If the hose departs from the pump fuel can siphon from the tank.

TearDown2ValveCheck_zpsdahpu6w4.gif

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are stating that you're leaving the High Pressure hose attached to the pump/tank; yes? The HP hose has a check valve at the disconnect. The pump body by itself has no check valve. If the hose departs from the pump fuel can siphon from the tank.

Nope. I've ALWAYS disconnected the line at the tank/pump (again, partially full) and it DOES NOT LEAK.

In fact, I've NEVER had the fuel line disconnected from anywhere BUT the pump (no reason to).

And I'm on my third fuel tank(from PO crashes), original pump.

You probably already know there's a retainer clip (as I re-call, plastic) that holds the fuel line to the tank.

Disconnect yours there next time the tank is up, it does NOT leak (even when level on the floor) and must have a safety valve there OR the way the pump is designed internally NOT to leak.

The OP, in his first post states the tank is leaking out the fuel outlet(which sounds like no fuel line), and it should NOT. Whether there's a check ball in there, spring missing, crap in there, dunno but it should be dry in any case..

I suspect, whatever is not right in there, IS preventing the fuel flow...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope. I've ALWAYS disconnected the line at the tank/pump (again, partially full) and it DOES NOT LEAK.

In fact, I've NEVER had the fuel line disconnected from anywhere BUT the pump (no reason to).

And I'm on my third fuel tank(from PO crashes), original pump.

You probably already know there's a retainer clip (as I re-call, plastic) that holds the fuel line to the tank.

Disconnect yours there next time the tank is up, it does NOT leak (even when level on the floor) and must have a safety valve there OR the way the pump is designed internally NOT to leak.

The OP, in his first post states the tank is leaking out the fuel outlet(which sounds like no fuel line), and it should NOT. Whether there's a check ball in there, spring missing, crap in there, dunno but it should be dry in any case..

I suspect, whatever is not right in there, IS preventing the fuel flow...

OK - you made me look up an old post. The pump body has no check valve but the pump motor assembly does!
From Post # 2 here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...uel-pump-battery-charging-brake-bleeding.html
FuelPumpCutAway_zps8b0a5e55.png~original

So that explains that. It also implies the OP's **could have** a serious leak where the pump is not seated to the housing correctly or the valve is stuck open OR somehow fuel has a path from the tank to the exit. Like a crack or missing/damaged O-ring.

FWIW: I tend to error on the side of caution and propped the hose up while doing the valve clearance adjustment as it had 5 gallon of fuel which could siphon onto the ground and ruin life as I know it!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, makes sense..

So, someplace and somethings for Bruno to inspect very closely. It wouldn't be hard to bump an 0-ring out of place by accident..

Did you somehow have that connector area apart Bruno?

I suspect your going to end up pulling that pump apart again and double checking everything.

I'm also assuming you worked in a clean/neat area and could NOT have left any o-rings, etc out by accident....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: It's moot point if he has 36psi. Well other than a safety issues when the tank is off the bike.

If gauge shows ~ 36psi i wouldn't open it just for that.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If I understand his post (first part) he did initially have full fuel rail pressure.

The second part:

"After doing the above work and hooking up the new battery I got the bike to crank and run but there wasn't much gas In the tank, so it shut off... Won't start now and I removed the fuel pump again to clean it and now I can't get it to go together without gas just running out of fuel outlet... Where normally it shouldnt ( I think) and that's my issue...

I've take. It apart a few times now and every time the fuel just pours out of the fuel outlet"

My take is he can't get it back together W/O it leaking fuel.

For the op, you may check the end of the flexible fuel hose and see if your issue is on that end..

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
It definitely didn't leak out originally when I removed the pump. The first couple times even.... It's when I put the new rotor in when it started pouring out instantly. Idk if that matters tho.

Have it apart, having trouble posting pics. Also I did disconnect the ignition coils to change the plugs bc the battery box covers them. Was wondering which colors go where ( top and bottom coils) to double check if anyone has theirs out, lol.

But I have brand new plugs property gapped and that didn't help

Definitely could of lost parts. It's crazy the manual has nothing but it's made to be taken apart...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 41

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
Also checked the relief valve again and it releases air until my compressor drops just under 40 and it seals no longer letting air through. So I'm guessing it's okay

And it leaks fuel when the line is disconnected from the fuel outlet, maybe I'll start leaving the line on if it has a check valve...

I have orange/black top and red/black bottom for the Top Coil

And red/black top and grey/black bottom for the Bottom coil

Idk if it matters bc those just power the coils

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've never had a pump opened up that far but "It's when I put the new rotor in when it started pouring out instantly". is likely the key area we should be focusing on.

If I had the parts in my hands I could very likely figure out how it goes back together but the pic's, to me, at least aren't much help...

Final Impact, if he's been this deep (or anyone else) ,may be able to chime in to help with re-assembly. IMO, I wouldn't put it back together unless it was completely correct.. It could a potential fire hazard should something come loose, fuel leak, etc...

There may be something on You Tube where someones dug deep into the assembly, that'd be worth researching..

I looked at your pic's again, as close up as possible. Is it possible that there's a hairline crack somewhere in the plastic housing, retainer, etc that's allowing fuel past all the o-rings, etc?? (Basically by passing the check valve).

Did you have to use some excess force at any point just prior to it leaking??

Last edited:

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to be clear it only comes out when my fuel line is disconnected so idk if it's too much of a hazard but idk crap. Lol

Definitely appreciate the help this far! Looking into ignition issues as well now

Also if there is a part or angle in not getting well I can take more pics, there just isn't much to this thing. I'm hating life right now. But I'm only in it for 400 so far

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, what was the initial issue with the fuel pump rotor, just worn out, no pressure??

This statement: " it only comes out when my fuel line is disconnected", I gather its not just a dribble (which IS normal, maybe 1/4 cup) but it'll empty your tank with fuel flowing, correct??

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first got it it wasn't turning on. I removed it, flushed it with gas and it started working again, can't remember why I took it out again. I think it sounded funny but when I took it apart I noticed the black top piece was cracked. Probably from me somehow...

And yes it'll empty the entire tank, it doesn't stop flowing out

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does that "black, top piece" help seal the unit, can you tell?

If that's the only obvious thing wrong with it now, I'd be looking at can that crack, if it can affect sealing of the unit, fuel leaking past 0-rings, etc...

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
From the diagram posted earlier in the thread it looks like it would seal the fuel pump ( but it doesn't effect how it lines up in the plastic fuel pump housing) but it's hard to tell by looking at it from the outside. And just to be clear the old one is the one that's cracked. The one I'm using now is free of defects , at least to the naked eye...

Also I haven't really tested fuel pressure at the rail, mostly bc it sounds like a small undertaking that I don't have tools for. Was wondering if there's a check bolt/screw of sorts on the rail

Last edited: