05 fz6 - I have to get new tires - WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND - I RIDE 500 miles a week

getsum

Reaction score
Visit site
OK - I have to get new tires on it.
I need the most durable tires I can get.

I put 500 miles on it a week.

It is a daily driver.

THANKS

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 2000 miles on the PR2's. Nice tire, good grip, confidence inspiring. And from what I've read these tires are good for high mileage

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
There's soooooooo much information on here in the tire tech forum. Do a search and read away to your heart's content!

In short, the Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyres are great, but a little expensive. The Bridgestone BT023 are fairly recent tyres and are also getting good reviews by people on here.

500 miles a week means you're going to go through tyres fairly quickly!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use & recommend Metzeler Z6 Interact I now have 12000k's on a set on my bigger & heavier XJR & I expect to get 15000 at least out of them :thumbup: Rapid warm up , fantastic wet grip , fast turn in & awesome wear ( voted Australia's BEST sport touting tyre the last 2 years :rockon:)

niko_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty sure the Michelin's are very good tyres in terms of grip and performance but I would say Bridgestone..I ride about 300miles weekly

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want durability then the stock Dunlop D252s are hard to beat. If you want more grip then Dunlop Roadsmarts.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilot Road 2CT. Got close to 23,000 miles on a front and I've clocked over 13,000 miles on a rear that had more life left in it but replaced due to a 2nd nail puncture in it.

These tires rock.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilot Road 2CT. Got close to 23,000 miles on a front and I've clocked over 13,000 miles on a rear that had more life left in it but replaced due to a 2nd nail puncture in it.

These tires rock.
I'm on my third set of tires, bought the PR's this time and they're holding up great! I'm not going to try anything else.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Another happy PR2 user. Great mileage and grip. I ride year round and frequently in the rain. They may cost more but it is the connection between you and the road. Years ago I had a BMW and decided to put cheaper Bridgestone on instead of the Yokahama's I had been running. I ran into the back of a pickup at about 6.3482567 mph and crunched the grill and front fender! Missed his bumper. Still convinced I would have stopped with the Yokahama's! Best car I've owned - 91 318is (new twin cam engine).

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought PR2s after seeing the poll this site ran a while back. They really improved the handling of the bike IMO, feels more agile but just as stable. Too soon to judge mileage but most reports say the last quite a long time.

Tim

yamadamadoo

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a set of the new Dunlop Sportmax Q2's. Great tires. Nice and sticky.

Ran em' about 500 miles or so till I got cut off in traffic and wrecked. The tires broke in pretty quick and grip really well. The accident had nothing to do with the tires. The only thing that could have saved me was an extra 30 feet of stopping room. Can't say anything about longevity but I was very happy with the tires performance till then.

Slider101

Reaction score
Visit site
I have put some hard miles on the stock bridgestones that came on the 05 FZ6 I had, then switched to the pilot road 2 ct for several hundred miles before selling it and buying the 07 FZ6 I have now. The 07 came with the dunlop sportmax on it. My views on these 3 sets of tires are strictly of their turn in ability (how quickly and easily the bike wants to lean into a corner) and their grip. The bridgestones and dunlops are very similar on grip and turn in ability, I would give the bridgestones a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best. I would give the dunlops a 6 and the michelins get a 9. The michelins are so good I am seriously thinking about replacing the dunlop sportmax that are on this 07 even though it only has 2100 miles on the bike and tires.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

These tires rock.

That's an insane amount of miles! 23K?!?