05' FZ6 Spark Plug Caps Blew Off

marsman89

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was going through the usual Monday morning, wake up late, hop on the FZ, and fly to work. While on the interstate, my #2, 3, & 4 spark plug caps popped off causing me to lose power in 3 of my cylinders. I coasted off the nearest off-ramp and was able to get my #4 plug cap back on. I limped home (~3 miles) on my #1 and #4 cylinders while #2 & #3 diesel'd. I noticed that air was puphing out of my spart plug openings...

I had just replaced my spark plugs the week prior and have ridden several times since. Could my spark plugs have loosened up to cause air from my engine to blow my plug caps off??

Also, would it hurt anything if I just tighten my spark plugs down and start the engine up with potentially 2 flooded cylinders?

Any advice on this issue would be much appreciated.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ YIKES!!!

What process did you use to tighten those plugs in? Its pretty rare to have them come out unless the crush washer was never deflected (crushed).

This thread has allot of good info in it including the torque spec.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tion-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html
SPARK PLUG TORQUE SPEC:
18 Nm (1.8 m·kg, 13 ft·lb)

As for the health of the engine; 4 miles of raw fuel can't be good although with the plugs out of the holes, the caps could have been arcing over and burning some of that but - that's clearly unknown.

PARTS:
- I'd start with new plugs as those could be beat up and you don't want them dropping the porcelain in the engine.
- check the gap on the new plugs, (see link above).
- OIL, change the oil as its likely diluted.

LABOR:
* Clean the plug wells. Brake clean and cotton wipe down.
* Inspect the threads, Clean them, and thread in a new plug. Should turn in by hand and not take added force like a wrench. Remove plugs.
* OIL ALL OF THE Cylinders. Add a teaspoon or less of engine oil.
* Hit the starter a few times to disperse the oil. Hold rags over the plug wells.
* Clean the plug well again
- Install new plugs and torque to spec.
- See link about the spark plug caps. Very likely they could be loose at this time. Correct them, and install them.
- Fire it up and see how it goes.

I can't imagine the cylinders are actually full of fuel. If they are, you'll have to dry them out. be very careful doing this. You don;t need a fire.

That's what comes to mind....
- Oh, use a torque wrench! Good luck!

marsman89

Reaction score
Visit site
After work I picked up the supplies needed to replace my plugs (correctly this time). Followed the steps you listed and tightened the plugs down with a torque wrench this time. Crossed my fingers and fired it up. It started great and ran very smoothly. I took it on a little spin around town just to be sure, and it seemed to run perfectly to my amazement. I'm really glad that these engines hold up to the abuse of "try-hard" mechanics. :D

Hopefully I wont see another incident like this for a long time.

Thanks for your help!