1986 fz 600 purgatory

The insides look good. All cylinders are smooth except one has a tiny, tiny bit of pitting.

and yes, those new vise grips saved me a few times so far.

I approach it this way..

Someone put it together, it can come apart.

Just go slow, a manual is a big help, and take your time...

I'd rather do it than someone watching the clock that doesn't necessarily give a crap..

cams going back in. Some problems. A few more threads stripped...

stripp_02.jpg

after 4 of those, cams back in, and all the shims are within spec except one. I have the one it needed.

Got all the stripped threads fixed.

stripped_03.jpg

stripped_04.jpg

The bores felt and looked smooth. Now that you've mentioned it, they likely could have used some honing to re make the cross hatching.

So I over tightened a bolt on the head cover and this happened:

cracked.jpg

Grrrrrreat !

JB Weld ain't gonna fix that.

So yea, go slow, don't work until 3am.....

Last edited:
Back to the scrap guy I went to before. 3 hour drive there and back This time I just grabbed the whole damn remains for $100.

extra.jpg

This should cover any future blunders.

Last edited:
Time to put the engine back in. This was tough. Vice grips to the rescue on this one. So after a bunch of swearing at inanimate objects:

engine in.jpg

Last edited:
Since these were cleaned and synced before they should be good to go.

carbs.jpg

I also did a lot of cable management and organization. They were previously all over the place. Nice and tidy now.

Last edited:
Work station:

View attachment 65091

That's a clymer manual. Would like to see the Haynes to compare. I think the Clymer is OK but seems like it could be a lot better / better written. I've heard about mis-info and the pictures are crap. Anybody have the Haynes?

Last edited:
Back