2008 FZ6 takes longer to start now

StratLC

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2008 FZ6 began taking longer to start, sometimes spinning a couple of seconds before starting. Sometimes it cranks right up when you hit the starter button. I changed the plugs, made sure the idle adjustment is right, and checked the air filter. The air filter looked clean but has a spot where the creases spanned out in one spot. I added some fuel system and injector cleaner to a tank of gas and am running this through the bike now.

What do I look at next? What is the probable cause of of starting right up one time, and spinning longer the next time before starting? I appreciate any advice.

StratLC

Thanks guys. The bike has 9700 miles after 14 months. I hope to ride 100+ miles today, if the rain holds up, and burn the rest of that fuel system cleaner out. I'll hook up the battery charger and see how strong or weak the battery is.
Thanks
StratLC:thumbup:

If you ride over 100 miles every day (assuming most is on a highway), the battery shouldn't be a problem. When cranking, is the motor spinning quickly and just not firing or is it sluggishly spinning? If its cranking ok and just not firing, i wouldn't worry about it. My bike does that too, so have my bikes in the past. There are small motors, they don't particularly like cold starts. Really, as long as it doesn't take more than 4-5 seconds and it stays running fine once it does start, quit worrying. Also, i've noticed if you hit the starter button, it turns over, but you let go of the starter button before it fires, it takes even more cranks when you hit the starter button the second time. Its just the way it is.

Mine does that too, I just never paid any attention to it until now. Sometimes my bike will start the instant I touch the start button, other times it takes 2-4 seconds to start. As long as it starts within a few seconds of pushing the button, I would not worry about it.

One thing it might be is starting it before the FI's are primed(?)

I know that if you turn your bike key 'ON' and have the kill switch in the OFF position, you don't hear the FI prime. However, if you have the kill switch in the ON position when you turn the key to ON, you can hear the FI prime up (little whining noise). Takes about 1.5 seconds.

Perhaps you are turning the key ON and immediately thumbing the starter before the FI's are ready?

Might not be the case but just a thought.

Thanks guys. The bike spins fast before it starts. Because y'all have the same characteristic in your's, I'll just let it be and ride. Thanks.
StratLC

Hmmm, you covered all the basics.

Couple of alternate options:
fuel filter / flow - you would notice at speed, ditto for air intake
coil/ rectifier - this is more difficult to spot, if your battery is not charging correctly, or if there is a drain - take to an autolec.

I'm thinking 2nd option .... good luck

I'm on an 06'. My battery is, in the spirit of the Princes Bride, Mostly Dead. It takes a charge but has no depth to the charge. Tender or an hour's ride is the same.

If I sit with the lights on, engine off for 60 seconds or so, It does not have enough juice to turn the bike over. End of the season is approaching fast, new battery in the spring.

But the bike always starts right up if there is enough charge to turn the engine over. (Jump start if not.) Point is, I doubt a battery that has the juice to turn the engine for a few seconds before starting is so dead that it would cause the slow start up.

I put all 8,600 miles on my 2008 and occasionally it will start up slow. It happens prominently in the cold weather, but after a day or 2 of rain and not riding - it tends to happen.

Best advice I could give, ride your bike every day, get a battery tender(izer - as i like to call them, ha), and or ride your bike every day.

It could the be the throttle body synch is off a little. Mine was a little hard to start, then I did a synch and it went back to firing right up.

Back