2014 Daytona Bike Week. Part 5 (demo'd Indian Chieftain, GSXR1000)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Indian Chieftain:

attachment.php

All Indian bikes use the same motor and trans and it's the nicest motor/trans of any cruiser I've ridden. Transmission might actually be smoother than on my FZ1.
This bike is enormous and has all sorts of toys: electronic cruise, power windscreen, keyless ignition, radio.. etc.
As with any good cruiser, once the wheels start rolling, the bike feels nimble and easily maneuverable. If I were to ever ride from NJ to FL, I'd love to do it on something like this bike.

On the polar opposite end of the spectrum, the next bike I rode was GSXR1000:

attachment.php

I have to admin that I was distracted much of the ride. On this particular demo, there was a GSXR600 in front of me with a passenger.. who happened to be a ridiculously hot girl with low cut jeans. Anyway..
Outstanding motor and excellent transmission. This bike is so good, it makes me wish I could ride it comfortably on the street, but I stand by my opinion that these are built for track.
At higher RPM, this bike pulls as well as ZX14 and at low RPM, it still pulls very well.. much stronger than my FZ1, as to be expected since it weighs over a 100 pounds less than my bike (with Givi rack and cases).
I actually liked how this bike rode better than S1000RR. Perhaps the Bimmer was a bit beat up by the time I got to ride it, but trans wasn't nearly as smooth as on this Gixxer.
I would love this drivetrain in a sport touring chassis (like FZ1).

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My Uncle is a huge Victory Cruiser fan and wants to add an Indian to his stable. My second bike is a Victory Kingpin Tour and I'll tell you what, when you're over 30 a sporty bike is NOT something you want to be doing long distance weekend or week long bike trips on. The cruiser I can ride for 3 hours nonstop without any pain. On the FZ6 my knees are the first to go after about 1.5 hours and then my lower back, arse and shoulders. I can't do more than about 100 miles on the FZ6 at one shot without a stretch break. I ride my cruiser till it needs gas (160 miles) like it's nothing.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Uncle is a huge Victory Cruiser fan and wants to add an Indian to his stable. My second bike is a Victory Kingpin Tour and I'll tell you what, when you're over 30 a sporty bike is NOT something you want to be doing long distance weekend or week long bike trips on. The cruiser I can ride for 3 hours nonstop without any pain. On the FZ6 my knees are the first to go after about 1.5 hours and then my lower back, arse and shoulders. I can't do more than about 100 miles on the FZ6 at one shot without a stretch break. I ride my cruiser till it needs gas (160 miles) like it's nothing.

I hear ya, though my FZ1 is set up a bit better for longer stretches in the saddle (highway pegs help a lot). Doesn't matter much, as I have to look for gas after 125 miles anyway.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Highway pegs would help a lot. How are they mounted? I find the my knees are the worst part of long distance on the FZ6 because they are bent so much on the stock pegs. I stretch them out often but without highway pegs you can only stretch them for 10 seconds at a time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear ya, though my FZ1 is set up a bit better for longer stretches in the saddle (highway pegs help a lot). Doesn't matter much, as I have to look for gas after 125 miles anyway.

Hadn't seen that number actually posted (never looked), but good to know!
Thanks for sharing the details as you dream and demo.... :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Highway pegs would help a lot. How are they mounted? I find the my knees are the worst part of long distance on the FZ6 because they are bent so much on the stock pegs. I stretch them out often but without highway pegs you can only stretch them for 10 seconds at a time.

There are unused motor mounts at the front. The pegs are custom made by an FZ1 owner to bolt right up there.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site

I assume this has to do with height? I'm 5'7" and don't really notice this. It could also be that I'm only 26.....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It could also be that I'm only 26.....

Bingo! Especially if you beat yourself up pretty good (I mountain bike and snowboard.. lots of injuries). It all adds up as you get older.. worth it :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I assume this has to do with height? I'm 5'7" and don't really notice this. It could also be that I'm only 26.....

It's your age, I'm 34 and only 5'8". I didn't notice this the first time I took a long ride on the FZ6 at age 29. :(

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Bingo! Especially if you beat yourself up pretty good (I mountain bike and snowboard.. lots of injuries). It all adds up as you get older.. worth it :thumbup:

It's your age, I'm 34 and only 5'8". I didn't notice this the first time I took a long ride on the FZ6 at age 29. :(

Looks like there is an FJR1300 in my future....

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the polar opposite end of the spectrum, the next bike I rode was GSXR1000:

I have to admit that I was distracted much of the ride. On this particular demo, there was a GSXR600 in front of me with a passenger.. who happened to be a ridiculously hot girl with low cut jeans. ).

LOL...surprised you didn't crash from too much target fixation.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What the heck is all this? I'm 27 and my lower back feels like total crap after an hour in the saddle on the Fizzer.

Anyone else starting to lust after that Indian?

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
What the heck is all this? I'm 27 and my lower back feels like total crap after an hour in the saddle on the Fizzer.

Anyone else starting to lust after that Indian?

Yes indeed you are not alone. I can only tilt my pelvis and hold my abs for so long on a ride. First touring bike I ever rode was a Victory Cross Country Tour and it was sweeeeet. Just need to find $20k somewhere....even used ones are holding their price out of my budget.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies about how bad riding a true sport bike is for y'all. It makes my 60yo body feel much younger than all of you. :thumbup: I'd still much rather eat up the miles on a sport bike than a cruiser. I guess I'm still not old enough for one, maturity wise ;) And yep, I'm up to 25 fractures over the years and still love sliding around a track for hours. :D

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes indeed you are not alone. I can only tilt my pelvis and hold my abs for so long on a ride. First touring bike I ever rode was a Victory Cross Country Tour and it was sweeeeet. Just need to find $20k somewhere....even used ones are holding their price out of my budget.

That is exactly the problem. These things must have gold valve covers or something.

Thanks for all of the replies about how bad riding a true sport bike is for y'all. It makes my 60yo body feel much younger than all of you. :thumbup: I'd still much rather eat up the miles on a sport bike than a cruiser. I guess I'm still not old enough for one, maturity wise ;) And yep, I'm up to 25 fractures over the years and still love sliding around a track for hours. :D

No one believes young people when they tell stories about how 'there are old guys out there that are way better at this'! It's like this in mountain biking, too. Don't get me wrong, probably gonna be doing some distance riding next week anyway.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like there is an FJR1300 in my future....

Yamaha is already copyrighting the term "FJ 09" so a smaller 3cyl. mini ST similar to BMW F800 or VFR800 possibly??? im not into the big ST bikes, im probably just going to tour out an FZ1 in the future... so this is appealing to me if it looks halfway decent and has good suspension

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to admin that I was distracted much of the ride. On this particular demo, there was a GSXR600 in front of me with a passenger.. who happened to be a ridiculously hot girl with low cut jeans. Anyway..
QUOTE]

Wheres the gopro?!?!!! :spank:

Sounds like you're havin' fun!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys kill me. Wait until you are well into your 40's! I hit the magic 50 this year.

Honestly so much is about how the bike fits you and what you use it for.