33bhp Restriction

Mikeyc22

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey just wondering what is the best type of restriction on a 2004 fz6 & how much should it cost a garage to do it (they have to so it goes on database?)

Cheers

Mikeyc22

Reaction score
Visit site
But if i buy and fit it myself is that ok? I thought it had to be recorded, ive heard If you do it yourself it needs a be dyno'd but i don't see the point, if the police felt the need to test it , it would all be ok

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey just wondering what is the best type of restriction on a 2004 fz6 & how much should it cost a garage to do it (they have to so it goes on database?)

Cheers
There are sometimes restriction kits available on e-bay. I'm not sure how much they cost to install?

Neil

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Call me a silly American but...why do you have to restrict it? :eek: It's not like it's super powerful anyhow...is it for a learner's permit or whatever your equivalent is?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Call me a silly American but...why do you have to restrict it? :eek: It's not like it's super powerful anyhow...is it for a learner's permit or whatever your equivalent is?

It's to do with the (western) European motorcycle test/license:

As I understand it younger riders can move up to a de-restricted machine after 2 years experience on a lower powered machine.

Here's some info..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is a good idea.

If riders in the US had to ride 60 bhp bikes for a minimum of 2 years as new riders it would probably prevent a lot of the "squid" encounters and inexperienced rider sport bike deaths we all have observed/read.

When you can be 18 with no riding experience, pass a road test on a 20 bhp bike and then proceed to go buy a 175 hp 1300cc sport bike bad stuff is bound to happen.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Eh I think 2 years is a bit much, and 30 bhp is a bit low.. I spent a year on a ninja 500 (bored in two weeks), then I got the fz (bored after a summer) and now I have a speed triple 1050, and I'm still here... I think it's more about personal maturity level and accountability though. I do know a kid that for his first bike (you can get your riding permit as soon as you have your drivers license, at 16 years old) got an R1/CBR1/whatever and he did wreck because he had no idea what he was doing. But that's all on his dad for buying it for him, in my opinion. I started with a small bike because that's all I could afford.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I started with a small bike because that's all I could afford.

thats exactly it, if mommy and daddy buy it for you then you dont have the understanding that if i wreck I have to pay to fix it....the only reason I started on a 600cc bike is because i practically stole it at $600....but my FZ was much more expensive (comparatively) and I learned to hold back.....although it would have seriously pissed me off if i knew what it was capable of and it was limited....

princessvanvan

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is restricted by a mechanical throttle stop. It's the only way on an 04.

They cost about £200 but I fitted mine :p

Ditto, mine was a throttle stop too and my bike is a 2003 model (new shape) and it cost me 200 pounds to get it fitted at a garrage :) vv

Mikeyc22

Reaction score
Visit site
Got mine done and its weird but its still a good bike.
It was done by a throttle stop, says on the certificate max speed 96 but iv'e had 108 out of it.
It's just weird gearing up 1/2 in the rev range.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
The speedo isn't quite accurate, on purpose. From what I've seen on my GPS, 100 on speedo = 90 mph actual. There are threads that explain why manufacturers do it better than I can. Something to do with lawsuits or speeding tickets.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got mine done and its weird but its still a good bike.
It was done by a throttle stop, says on the certificate max speed 96 but iv'e had 108 out of it.
It's just weird gearing up 1/2 in the rev range.
What MPG are you getting with the restricted bikes?

Neil

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you could probably do it much cheaper if you found some similar sized washers and got it dyno'd as proof. You don't need to spend £200 on some washers and a bit of paper, but it is convenience. The police could ask you for proof of the restriction (and I don't know how legal that is), but I've only heard of it happening to one person. In theory they could check your bike.

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
you could probably do it much cheaper if you found some similar sized washers and got it dyno'd as proof. You don't need to spend £200 on some washers and a bit of paper, but it is convenience. The police could ask you for proof of the restriction (and I don't know how legal that is), but I've only heard of it happening to one person. In theory they could check your bike.

Fuel injected bikes are restricted with throttle stops or ECU flashes for the newer bikes. Pretty sure only carbed bikes get washers.

I've also had mine to 108mph (on the speedo at least). Not sure what fuel is like as I never lay attention to what range I get from a tank. I do a lot of town riding so I'm always low in the gears blipping the exhaust as the note from the stubby 1098 cans is so addictive.

Once the weather perks up I'll get a video showing how the bike accelerates with a restrictor kit fitted.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
i thought it was a throttle restrictor, plus making the air inlets smaller on the fz6?

Or maybe just cut a biiiig hole in the airbox like a few in here did in another thread and ruin the thing... holy moly a serious discussion that came out of that :D - I better not mention further...