$500 Service WTF

Dunny

Hit the road jack
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Called in at the local Yamaha Dealer enquired how much to do a 10,000 service bike is 3 years old

Oil filter
Motul 5000
Air Filter
Coolant
Brake Fluid
repack swing arm

Theres always that nagging feeling whether they will do the service properly anyway. Have heard some horror stories in the past. If they put their best mecanic on it and he serviced it like it was his I might consider it.

$500 AUD. Just cant see how they can get to that figure.

Thanks to the forum I have the full workshop manual.

They can put their $500 service in a place the sun doesnt shine.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Called in at the local Yamaha Dealer enquired how much to do a 10,000 service bike is 3 years old

Oil filter
Motul 5000
Air Filter
Coolant
Brake Fluid
repack swing arm

Theres always that nagging feeling whether they will do the service properly anyway. Have heard some horror stories in the past. If they put their best mecanic on it and he serviced it like it was his I might consider it.

$500 AUD. Just cant see how they can get to that figure.

Thanks to the forum I have the full workshop manual.

They can put their $500 service in a place the sun doesnt shine.

And they're brilliant business people! LOL! And if you do it even if you've never done it, you will build character...and confidence in your abilities.

Oh yeah! Who are those girls with you?

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
DIY everything in parts prob cost around $100-150. then it's a lot of manual labour and beer, maybe even some swearing but in the end you learn a lot. :rockon:

robsch

Reaction score
Visit site
For $500 it ought to be the regular service items mentioned above, plus a special service for the owner by those two girls....

But seriously, DIY. Or bribe a friend.

W

wrightme43

We charge 79.72 USD per hour for labor. Seems steep till you pay for a million dollar building, 15 salary, taxes, elect, supplies, uniforms, taxes, and everything else.

You can do it all yourself, but the dealer is not there to save you money. They have to make money.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
We charge 79.72 USD per hour for labor. Seems steep till you pay for a million dollar building, 15 salary, taxes, elect, supplies, uniforms, taxes, and everything else.

You can do it all yourself, but the dealer is not there to save you money. They have to make money.

Yep, it's the labor cost that will get ya every time. As long as a dealer is honest about how they are charging you for that time I, in general, don't have too much of a problem with it. But, if they are charging me 3 hours labor for something I know I can do in an hour, then I have a problem. And yes, if that is the case I will do it myself.

It's tough for dealers to get past their "stealer" image that many have of them. Honestly, it's not hard to see why. When I was looking at tires I compared prices for the labor to replace a rear tire with the rim off the bike. Dealer: $70 Cycle Gear: $25 Local bike mechanic $30. Something is wrong with that!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

I pay a shop to do a job when I don't have the right tools, or don't want to have to deal with the waste products..... or don't have the knowledge.

It's cost effective to do the work yourself, if you can be flexible on all three points..... if not, then helping the shop stay in business makes sense.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
What exactly does "repacking the swing arm" mean/entail? Is it the swing arm bushings? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I don't have an FZ yet. :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can do the things you wanted done; I've got my valve adjustment coming up that I don't want to try to tackle, and I dread that bill... :eek:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
- oil/filter: 1hour max, super simple, $25
- air filter: 20minutes max, super simple, $40
- Coolant: 30min max, super simple, $5
- Brake fluid: 1hour, pretty easy, $5 (need bleeder)
- repack swingarm: I wouldn't worry about that.

Total, 3hours, $75

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
$500 is CHEAP! Do you realize how expensive it is to maintain a 25-30---or bigger!--boat/yacht. It's extremely expensive when you add in all the associated fees with owning a yacht. There's the berthing/slip fee, the insurance, the non-stop boat maintenance, the huge liquor bills associated with yachting/boating. Above all, there are the HUGE boat payments. Did you know that boat payments can far exceed a typical automobile payment? They are enormous. So, when you factor in just the boat payments, the $500shop bill is reasonable.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$500 is CHEAP! Do you realize how expensive it is to maintain a 25-30---or bigger!--boat/yacht. It's extremely expensive when you add in all the associated fees with owning a yacht. There's the berthing/slip fee, the insurance, the non-stop boat maintenance, the huge liquor bills associated with yachting/boating. Above all, there are the HUGE boat payments. Did you know that boat payments can far exceed a typical automobile payment? They are enormous. So, when you factor in just the boat payments, the $500shop bill is reasonable.

That's why I rent a boat for the once a year I might need one. Talk about a money pit. But they are fun.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. It means to repack (with grease) the rear swingarm bushings. (Actually, I think they are bearings. They look like bearings in the factory pics. Someone here who has done it themself can tell you with authority. I hope it's a long time yet before mine ever need it)