8 hours of bike maintenance

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looong day, but I got everything done!!

-Air filter replaced (K&N drop-in)
-Full cooling system removal (drained, cleaned and fluid replaced).
-Spark plugs replaced (happy to say all 4 plugs looked in perfect shape, but the gaps were a bit big: .9 when manual calls for .6 to .7.)
-Throttle body sync (what an enormous pain in the butt!! I did get it synced fairly close.. much better than initial reading when I just hooked the carbtune up).

Oh .. all of this was on FZ1, but I think all the steps are just about the same on FZ6 :D

Amazingly, there were no left over spare parts when I finished up :rof:

Parts removed (including radiator)

k0a.jpg

Plugless

53k2.jpg

Fuel tank fully suspended to make it easier to get to TB hoses and screws

ybry.jpg

Last edited:

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
No left over parts is always good.. lol

:thumbup:

I bet you felt a difference after all the work you did... Im due for a similar service soon.. :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No left over parts is always good.. lol

:thumbup:

I bet you felt a difference after all the work you did... Im due for a similar service soon.. :rockon:

Too exhausted to go for a ride after all that work. I'll post back tomorrow. Honestly the bike was running pretty good, so I kind of doubt it'll be noticeable, but it needed to be done. This was the first coolant / plug / air filter change in 20k miles!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erkey...quick question. Why don't you post up stuff like this on the FZ1 Forum??? I'm sure the boys and girls would enjoy hearing what you are up to...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
53k2.jpg

Ah, so that's how you can remove the plugs! :D My hand is just too big to get them out with the radiator in place.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erkey...quick question. Why don't you post up stuff like this on the FZ1 Forum??? I'm sure the boys and girls would enjoy hearing what you are up to...

:don'tknow: .. plenty of good folks on that forum too, but it doesn't feel like family to me. This one does :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, so that's how you can remove the plugs! :D My hand is just too big to get them out with the radiator in place.

Yeah! Absolutely no way to do it on FZ1 without swinging radiator out of the way. Supposedly hoses can stay on and it can just be swung out enough to get to plugs, but I figured since I'm changing coolant too, I might as well pull it off.

Pulling the fans (FZ1 has 2) off was a bit of a pain, but worth it in terms of getting all that room to make spark plug change a breeze!

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Eric should have replaced the clutch cable while you were at it... j/k Though I would have loved to come over and give you a hand and learn a thing or two. Next time let me know I could at least cheer you on. Actually spent all day moving to BK and took much longer than 8 hours and who knows where all my parts are in this mess.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'd known I would have had you measure some physical dimensions on the COPs (coil over plug) as I have notion to do a little conversion to the FZ6.... Btw, what plug and gap is speced for the 1? Thanks in advance!

Good Job!
Now to bleed the brakes and grease the Steering Head! :D

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
If I'd known I would have had you measure some physical dimensions on the COPs (coil over plug) as I have notion to do a little conversion to the FZ6.... Btw, what plug and gap is speced for the 1? Thanks in advance!

Good Job!
"-Spark plugs replaced (happy to say all 4 plugs looked in perfect shape, but the gaps were a bit big: .9 when manual calls for .6 to .7.)"

Right in the first post :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Good Job!

The plugs are NGK CR9EK, with recommended gap of 0.6 - 0.7mm.
Yeah.. brakes are next.. I'll probably replace the lines too.
Steering head.. I usually like to leave that alone unless it asks for attention (less than perfectly free or gritty lock to lock, with wheel off the ground, OR any play)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I *thought* bike ran just fine before, but it's significantly smoother now and whatever hesitation existed before appears to be gone now :D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent and entertaining! However, I didn't notice any empty beer cans strewn about or a cold one just about to be popped for a finale. Don't you drink beer?;)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent and entertaining! However, I didn't notice any empty beer cans strewn about or a cold one just about to be popped for a finale. Don't you drink beer?;)

There's a recycling bin which didn't make it into the picture.. filled to the brim with empty bottles :rof:

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
I *thought* bike ran just fine before, but it's significantly smoother now and whatever hesitation existed before appears to be gone now :D

Nice, the only reason I ask is because I also thought my bike run great, until I did the sparks, oil, tires, lubed clutch cable, K&N filter.. and wow it feels like a new bike.. K&N gave it a nice engine sound. Tires make a big difference. I had OEM ones and now I got the PC's 2. Clutch lube makes it go smooth... I also have a 1000 bike and the FZ6 feels just as fun. lol

Jon

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Same affect on the fizzer a while ago, "just made it smoother". Only new plugs tho.. .. .. I think they like being played with and getting new stuff! :thumbup:

Are the FZ1's known for having vibrations that hinder visibility in the mirrors, numb hands etc? Do they shake like some of these 600's?