Advice on Fork rebuild (Golden Valve - oil - spring precomp)

pmmcanon

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm planning to rebuild my fork as I'm doing a general restoration of my FZ s2 2008. I would like to hear your advice over the following topics:

• Racetech Golden Valve: Yes or No? Is it worth the money, or should I just replace the o-rings retainers? I'll go with Racetech/Ohlins linear springs
  • Regarding the oil: Wich CST are you using? I really don't trust the viscosity because as an ex-racer I've checked many oils seeing big differences in the same SAE's viscosity, to be honest the unique method I found reliable was making the oil pass through a graduated pipe (same temp) and measuring the time to go through (same CST's different times...). And if you have tryed with different oil quantity.
  • Is possible to decrease "stinction" in this fork lubricating properly the o-rings? Are you using any method to regulate pre-comp (other than shrimps)?
  • Have you played with the height of the bars?
I know those are many questions... and excuse my horrible English
KR

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you can find R6 forks, and all of the pieces to make it work, the Gold Valve Emulators are a great value. You get rate-based compression damping and "some" control on rebound damping.

Regarding fork oil, 15w is used with the GVE's (with an air gap of 130mm). There are many charts on the internet that show the actual viscosity of various fork oils, so I would always choose a fork oil that is close to the rated viscosity (I use Maxima). More importantly, don't change brands. For example, if you choose Maxima 15w but feel as though you want to use a heavier or lighter oil, you should use a Maxima oil. If you choose another brand you will get a completely different result.

I've used some of the anti-stinction sprays and applications in the past. In my opinion it's snake oil (doesn't work). The best anti-stinction advice is this: when you have your forks apart for service, install new seals and lightly polish the stanchions with 0-0 steel wool. I install the tubes dry. Using any oil or grease will eventually attract dirt and that will destroy the new seals.

Regarding pre-loading the springs, I installed adjustable for caps. It does make it easier to set sag...but it's not something I adjust often. Street bikes are different than track bikes. The best part of adjustable fork caps is...they look cool. It's worth it just for that.

A lot of FZ6 riders complain about the bars...but I like them. I appreciate the comfortable upright riding position, and I don't have any issue with the pull-back or rake. Those that dislike the bars usually use FZ1 bars that are lower and have less rake.

pmmcanon

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you can find R6 forks, and all of the pieces to make it work, the Gold Valve Emulators are a great value. You get rate-based compression damping and "some" control on rebound damping.

Regarding fork oil, 15w is used with the GVE's (with an air gap of 130mm). There are many charts on the internet that show the actual viscosity of various fork oils, so I would always choose a fork oil that is close to the rated viscosity (I use Maxima). More importantly, don't change brands. For example, if you choose Maxima 15w but feel as though you want to use a heavier or lighter oil, you should use a Maxima oil. If you choose another brand you will get a completely different result.

I've used some of the anti-stinction sprays and applications in the past. In my opinion it's snake oil (doesn't work). The best anti-stinction advice is this: when you have your forks apart for service, install new seals and lightly polish the stanchions with 0-0 steel wool. I install the tubes dry. Using any oil or grease will eventually attract dirt and that will destroy the new seals.

Regarding pre-loading the springs, I installed adjustable for caps. It does make it easier to set sag...but it's not something I adjust often. Street bikes are different than track bikes. The best part of adjustable fork caps is...they look cool. It's worth it just for that.

A lot of FZ6 riders complain about the bars...but I like them. I appreciate the comfortable upright riding position, and I don't have any issue with the pull-back or rake. Those that dislike the bars usually use FZ1 bars that are lower and have less rake.
Many thanks Gary, really appreciate your reply.