After a long rest, what would you do?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am ashamed to say that I haven't ridden my bike this year :spank:

Now that summer is coming I don't just want to fire up and ride, I'm also not in a position to do much myself so it's off to the dealer.

It's a 2004 with almost 51,000km on the clock.

Compared to what I have read here that some of you do, sadly neglected.

Never had the coolant or the brake fluid changed, no bearings changed except the steering head after about 2 years due to water ingress. I replaced the stock chain and sprockets last year.

Suggestions? Apart from lynching me of course!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I mean, the things you haven't done obviously need to be done. If you've never changed spark plugs, those are probably in need too. While you have the dealer flushing the coolant and bleeding the brakes, have them check (and replace if necessary) the brake seals. If the bike had a few miles put on it before it sat, throw some new oil at it. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but someone else will back me up. :)

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It has had the basics a couple of times, plugs, oil, filters but nothing close to the recommended intervals. Nothing exotic like injector balancing or CO2 setting.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
After the you pay for the dealer service we'll have the lynching and the go ride the pi$$ out of your bike.

Don't sweat things that are not broken, with fresh fluids, etc, check the tires, lube the chain and you are good to go.

It's a well built Japanese bike-have fun!

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
brake fluid and coolant is probably get wasted, you need change them. Also, if tyres not changed yet, change them too. I prefer rosso II's :)

Also lube the ignition switch and kill switch with WD40. :)

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
It has had the basics a couple of times, plugs, oil, filters but nothing close to the recommended intervals. Nothing exotic like injector balancing or CO2 setting.
You should be alright for the most part. Since you are past the first valve check interval, I would have that done if it hasn't. The injectors all spray the same amount of fuel, it's the air that is balanced. That being said, it wouldn't be crucial to have it done, but it will help eliminate some vibrations if the throttle bodies are really out of sync.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I hear ya about not doing it yourself, the coolant and brake flush are pretty straight forward. It takes a little more effort than opening a beer - maybe champaign level of complexity! :D:D

Anyway - plenty of "how to's" on here. Being cheap and not caring for others quality of work has been my inspiration to DIY! :thumbup:

Lube the clutch cable, toss some fuel system cleaner in it, do the fluids, engine oil and ride it.

We can scrounge up some links if you have any interest in getting dirty!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I hear ya about not doing it yourself, the coolant and brake flush are pretty straight forward. It takes a little more effort than opening a beer - maybe champaign level of complexity! :D:D

Anyway - plenty of "how to's" on here. Being cheap and not caring for others quality of work has been my inspiration to DIY! :thumbup:

Lube the clutch cable, toss some fuel system cleaner in it, do the fluids, engine oil and ride it.

We can scrounge up some links if you have any interest in getting dirty!

I have no problem with getting dirty, it is time, space and tools that are the problem. My local dealer closed down so I am supporting the one near my office.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no problem with getting dirty, it is time, space and tools that are the problem. My local dealer closed down so I am supporting the one near my office.

We can't help you with time, but if one were to say that arranging a ride back and forth to drop off the bike **could be** Time spent working on the bike, well - there is time. Tools are in the bag although it takes nothing special to do any of the fluids except maybe dumping the oil from the forks.

So a dry place and an oil pan and your set!
Brake bleed is the space it occupies now as is the coolant. Although I wouldn't do it in a place that can't accept a small spill!

Up to you - folks would be happy to walk you thought it.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely do your own maintenance. If you don't own tools a quick trip to Sears can get you all of the metric tools you'll need. I would suggest a 3/8" drive kit and 8mm to 22mm combination wrench set. Gear wrenches are even better. Sears/Craftman makes a decent 3/8 drive torque wrench too. Get good (long) screwdrivers too because cheap ones will just piss you off. The long ones give you a lot more leverage.

On you way home stop at the local hardware store to pick-up about a foot of 5/16" clear tubing for brake bleeding. Pick-up a funnel (for oil and coolant changes) while you're there. The other things you'll need for brake fluid flush is brake fluid (duh) and a clear bottle.

Working on your bike will give you great satisfaction (after the initial frustration) and an intimate knowledge of how things work. Why pay someone else to have all the fun?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to give you a clue how keen I am on working on things myself, my wife's FZ400 needs a new cam chain. I bought the chain, tensioner, slippers, gaskets, everything required when I was in the UK for the MotoGP in 2011. Guess what? They are still in the bag I bought them in. :spank:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, as we are not able to go on holiday this year I have decided to do some of the work myself, but one question... after the bike has been standing for so long is it safe to run it to warm the oil for draining? I don't know what happens to oil standing for so long. The lowest temperature the bike has been exposed to since it last ran is probably 2 degrees C.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt it would hurt anything, it's not like it's under a load just warming up. If you are real worried just drain it, fill and ride!!!!!!