After a long rest, what would you do?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1^^^. It takes quite a bit longer to get the OIL warm to hot (vs coolant temp).

Mid 80s(F) down here, 3-5 miles before oil is warm with temp gauge showing normal operating temp..

I'd probably sit and let it get to temp(or better yet ride it), then drain. nd ket it drain until its dry..

You will get a bit more old oil out on the side stand and putting the bike in different positions(rock it some, etc). :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone has focused on the condition of your bike after a long lay off, what about you?

I would focus on taking a refresher course, or at least spending the first hour in an open parking lot honing on your basic skills, such as emergency braking, swerves, tight turns, etc. The longest lay off I've had over the past seven years was about 30 days to recover from my ACL surgery. Even after 30 days, I spent about 30 minutes practicing in an open parking lot before I even ventured out in traffic.

I assume you have been driving a car all this time? In my opinion, unless you ride on a regular basis like every week, everyone must take the necessary safety measures to get use to getting back on two wheels just because you may incorporated some habits that you may apply in a car that could be detrimental if you decided to ride. I guess the biggest habit you may developed driving is because of the size of your vehicle, everyone sees you. Or slamming your brakes, you can't do that riding. Be very careful getting back on your bike. Statistically, the spring time or after winter, there is a spike in motorcycle crashes. Reason being you have all these rusty riders getting back on two wheels without taking the necessary precautions.

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Very good points Kenny. Start out easy and get your FZ legs back then ride the piss out of it. Blah

Do you both some good.

Post some pictures too!

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So today I changed the air filter, drained the oil and changed the oil filter. I ran the engine in the garage for about 20 min to get it up to temp, it was good to hear the beat again and she fired up first push of the starter.

I bought one of those drain pan thingies to take the old oil for recycling, what a disaster. I had a feeling things weren't going to go well when I saw the position of the pan against the side stand and sure enough, when I removed the drain plug it shot right over the pan, luckily I had plenty of newspaper down. Right now my garage floor is strewn with kitty litter.

Getting the old oil filter off was an exercise in destruction, I punched a hole in it with a screwdriver then used my water pump pliers to wrench the thing off.

Tomorrow, time and wifely plans permitting, I will add the oil (don't forget to add the oil :spank:) and change the plugs. I have ordered a set of HEL brake lines so when they arrive I will fit them and change the coolant.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one of those drain pan thingies to take the old oil for recycling, what a disaster. I had a feeling things weren't going to go well when I saw the position of the pan against the side stand and sure enough, when I removed the drain plug it shot right over the pan, luckily I had plenty of newspaper down. Right now my garage floor is strewn with kitty litter.

Getting the old oil filter off was an exercise in destruction, I punched a hole in it with a screwdriver then used my water pump pliers to wrench the thing off.

LOL, sorry, but I can see that.

If you aren't spilling some oil, your probably NOT changing it!!

Probably worth the investment to pick up the correct sized oil filter "CUP" for your replacement filter (for removal). Hand tight is usually enough (as long as it doesn't leak and we know it WILL get tighter with time..) :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This morning I changed the plugs (no 1 is a bastid) and then went for a ride, so I managed to avoid saying I didn't ride my bike in 2014 :spank:

Everything is working except the horn, I will check the relay when I lift the tank as part of the coolant change. I also noticed that the neutral light comes on when I change gear, or more accurately when I pull the clutch in. I had just had it washed so maybe that will go away when the bike dries out.

Happy new year everyone! :cheer:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once it dries out and everything is working again (or even before hand of you have access to an air compressor), pick up some dielectric grease and put some in every snap connector you can get to. (it should obviously be clean and dry before hand)

It'll help prevent corrosion and any water intrusion issues (which sounds like you have in some circuits).

Well worth the couple of $ and you won't be screwing with that/those issues anymore.. A small tube goes a long way...:thumbup:

BTW, the neutral switch is at the very rear of the engine(by the gear box), and the best seen from the right side looking forward. Screws into the block. Spraying a little WD 40 there may help...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: After a long rest, what would you do?

Shower, Ribeye steak (rare), beers = many!
picture.php
Blah

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, after the steak lunch break, back on topic :spank:

My HEL brake line kit arrived on Friday and today I bought a Haynes service manual. What a difference from the "factory" manual I had, this manual almost makes you want to rush out and strip the bike! So, this weekend is coolant flush/change and new brake lines, I don't know what condition the pads are in but I might as well get new pads and piston seals and do a proper job.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't ridden this year either. This year is currently only 15 days long! It's mid-winter in the Northern Hemisphere! :spank:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so I didn't get round to doing anything last weekend but yesterday I changed the coolant. The old coolant that came out was a nice green colour, no signs of any rust. I removed the overflow tank and gave it a good clean then put it back, getting it out wasn't the ball ache I have read it can be.

One thing puzzles me though... when I went to loosen the radiator cap lock bolt the cap turned slightly, then when the bolt was loose a funny shaped plate fell off. Does someone have a photo of how that plate is supposed to go back? I guess those with naked bikes could show this easier.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks that looks like how I have it, I need to take the inner fairing panel off again anyway because I closed it up with the headlight connector trapped inside....

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk