Air Induction system removal?

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
What I am thinking about is how to do a setup like I have on my Mustang, I have breathers that have hoses that run down into the rear of the header collectors and connect to one way check valves which connect to angled tubes welded to the collector. As the exhaust flows through it pulls the crankcase gasses into the exhaust stream and helps with ring seal. This has been confirmed that an air pump sucking the pressure from the engine does show a huge increase is power. The system I have gives you quite a bit less though.

Sounds like you have a pressure relief system for the bottom end(of the block),less pressure under the pistons makes for an easier downstroke in the cylinders which lets the engine rev faster,a ventilation hose on the valve cover does the same thing but for the upper end of the engine, it would do wonders for a high revving I-4 engine. I would love to install a setup like this on the FZ6 too.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
So i looked around to find who "sells" these kits and what they say about them. i found that ivans performance products sells them. Hes been around for awhile selling carb kits for numerous bike so he must know his stuff.

taken from the website
"We have designed these kits to allow you to remove the air induction system (air pump) from your bike. This allows for easier access to service your bike and removes the unnecessary complexity from your engine. These kits will reduce popping on decelleration."

now it says reduce because there is more to it than just injecting air. lots of fuel alone does it. so it will never eliminate it. especially if you are straight piped. no where does he state a performance gain.

now i found some vids to show this.
at 6 secs when he lets OFF the throttle coming up to the corner the car is backfiring in the exhaust.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OO69QJScnU[/ame]

this one he shoots flames as he shifts. WOT to closed throttle = a lot of fuel. especially in a high powered race car.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIch9uJUpc4[/ame]

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The point that just about everybody is missing is this.

There is NO PROOF WHATSOEVER that removing these components will make any more power. And until somebody does consecutive dyno runs with their bike stock, and then with their bike modified, there will be no proof.

There is, however, plenty of proof that they will make more pollution. But I guess I'm an "eco nut" for wanting clean air.

But go ahead, **** up your bike all you want and try to convince yourself that you've improved it.

I give up.

I don't think the issue here is making more power. Does anybody here actually believed it? I tried rereading all the posts but I didn't see anything(half assed read through)

The real issue with people wanting to remove it is to improve idle and operation because they removed the catalytic converter.
If you remove the cat, the AIS system is pretty much rendered USELESS. It will do nothing for smog control. It will only make the bike run like crap.

With all these arguements about AIS and airboxes and crap, I think we just need to accept that people can do whatever they want to their own bike, whether we like it or not.

It's like a fender eliminator, it serves no real purpose. The stock fender is there to keep mud and rocks from flinging around. But we choose to remove it, why? because it looks better.

Same arguement for removing cat/AIS, it'll make the exhaust and exhaust area run cooler, which can mean more comfort on hot days.

If you're the kind of person that drives a Prius and shops at whole foods and pays twice as much for stuff because it's "environmentally friendly", then don't do this mod to your bike.

I myself realize that motorcycles are not the cause of global warming, or the depletion of the ozone layer, and whatnot. If you remove the smog equipment on your little japanese motorcycle, you're not gonna take 10 years off of earth's potentially 10 billion year lifespan.

Why does the air in California suck? China. Countries like China and India have 4 times the population of us, and all of their vehicles are archaic when it comes to smog control. There is none. Not only that but their industries have no regulation and care for the environment that we silly americans do. So we get to suffer for other peoples mistakes. No thank you.

This wasn't necessarily aimed at you fred, I'm just ranting.

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Why does the air in California suck? China. Countries like China and India have 4 times the population of us, and all of their vehicles are archaic when it comes to smog control. There is none. Not only that but their industries have no regulation and care for the environment that we silly americans do. So we get to suffer for other peoples mistakes. No thank you.

This wasn't necessarily aimed at you fred, I'm just ranting.

Sorry to be controversial, but do you have any data to back that up? I understood that Cali had harsh smog laws way back in the 80s and possibly 70s, when production in Asia was much lower than today. Now Asian countries are using as much if not more oil/energy than the US, and it's not being used efficiently/cleanly. Even use of brown coal in many countries is still occuring. Most western countries have deemed it too dirty, and can't remove the sulphur in a cost effective way.

Cali air sucks not because of any other countries but because of the volume of cars and industry. Why does the air quality in China suck? Exactly the same reason, but more so.

Sorry to get all political...I'm going for a ride, and after reading all the posts from this thread, I'd suggest everyone else do the same! LOL

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
now i found some vids to show this.
at 6 secs when he lets OFF the throttle coming up to the corner the car is backfiring in the exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OO69QJScnU

this one he shoots flames as he shifts. WOT to closed throttle = a lot of fuel. especially in a high powered race car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIch9uJUpc4

Something I remember hearing from watching Bathurst many years ago, all of the teams deliberately set the engines up to dump fuel into the engine on closed throttle to quench/remove heat from the combustion chambers. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it would explain why most of the racing engines are fire belchers.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
More FZ6 fueling theory.

Hmmm, maybe. I'd like to look into that because I've never heard that before. I know on turbo setups (like the Ferrari F40) they run quite a bit richer than what most people would expect. stoichiometric is a chemically optimal ratio in a lab but not in the real world for developing power. I've heard of high hp turbo set ups going into 10:1 ratios when under boost.

either way, i do know the reason the AF ratio goes rich when the throttle is shut.

All modern engine setups other than anything with direct injection (DI is when the fuel is injected right into the combustion chamber) inject the fuel behind the intake valve prior to the intake stroke and use a sequential injection setup. when you are at WOT at 10000 rpm the engine is spinning 167 revolutions per second. there is an intake stroke once every 2 revolutions or "power stroke". so at 10,000 rpm the fuel injector is injecting fuel 84 time per second. when the throttle is abruptly shut, the engine is still spinning the valves are still opening and in that 1 second, fuel was still delivered. the only difference is that the throttle plates are now closed so no air is being drawn in. This is what causes the overly rich period right after the throttle is snapped shut and it is more pronounce the harder on the throttle you were beforehand.

now the FZ6 takes this situation one step further in that it uses group fuel injection.

taken right from the Yamaha website
"Group fuel injection divides the four cylinders into two groups (1 & 4 and 2 & 3) with two injections of fuel for every 720 degrees of crank rotation (the R6"S" system utilizes a sequential injection for each cylinder)."

The FZ6 injects fuel once every 360 degrees to two cylinders while the R6 injects fuel once every 180 degrees to one cylinder.

This means that fuel will be injected even when the other cylinder in the group is NOT on it's intake stroke. it's a little crude (kind of like TBI) but it gets the job done and is cheaper and less complicated to set up. What it does do is allow more fuel to be expelled out the exhaust during the above conditions because the delivery is not fine tuned.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I remember hearing from watching Bathurst many years ago, all of the teams deliberately set the engines up to dump fuel into the engine on closed throttle to quench/remove heat from the combustion chambers. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it would explain why most of the racing engines are fire belchers.

A much more reliable method of cooling down the intake and exhaust system would be to inject methanol and water, especially on a forced injection system.
Rally cars typically do this because the water cools it down, while the methanol increases the combustion resistance of the fuel(simulates a higher octane)

In regards to cars belching out flames, watch this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxRpqeqFRY[/ame]

That car belches big flames out a few times in that video whenever he shifts.

anandabishek

Reaction score
Visit site
There's really only 3 reasons you should remove it on the FZ6

1. Getting the bike dynotuned, it'll give you a better A/F ratio reading
2. If you have a lot of popping on decel, even after syncing the throttlebodies
3. If you have already removed the cat, you should do this too

It's not as bad as it is on the metric cruisers

thanks a lot for all the detailed information on removal of the air induction system... i dont own a fz6 but i am a proud owner of a fz 150... recently i am working on making my bike go faster... so i had removed the stock exhaust system on my bike and go a free flow exhaust made..... my bike would pop a lot on decel.... now i know y... thanks a lot SOVIET ROBOT:cheer: