Airbox mod

l3hmanj78

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of threads about an airbox mod. Has anyone done this to an '06 FZ6? I have one of those with scorpion slip on exhausts, but no other performance mods. I always thought the airbox looked odd with its little spigget. Anyways, I just want to make sure since the '06 doesn't have an O2 sensor, that opening up the airbox a tiny bit more won't cause it to run unnessecarily lean.

Jeff

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I don't think you can do any damage to this motor, if the cat is still in the exhaust. It produces enough back pressure that it will limit any increase in airflow through the rest of the system.

ST31th

Reaction score
www.streetfighters.com.au
think that if u are seriouse about this though u need to tune it for it tho aye. and the bike runs a M.A.P sensor so u could run it without an air box at all. it will make the fueling adjustments its self half the time

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been some recent threads on this topic including on member who ran dyno tests to see if there was any improvements to performance.

I hate to say it but.......SEARCH for these threads!!

Use the "Search Site / Google" tool, it's more efficient at getting the desired results that the basic forum search engine.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a small air box mod by drilling a couple of holes in the box. I can't say that it did a whole lot but it sounds a bit better. I did this when I installed a K&N air filter.

Doc

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
This topic has been tossed around quite a bit on this forum. I had read a bunch of threads a few months ago. I thought I had come to the conclusion that modding the airbox would cause it to run too lean since there is more air getting into the air/fuel mix. I have a 2006 too, so if I could run this mod without causing any issues, I surely would do it

l3hmanj78

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, thanks everyone for the replies. I guess the key point is that if i'm going to do it, do it in moderation.

Cali Rider I did search for this topic but I kept noticing people doing it with the '07+ bikes which had the O2 sensor that would apparently adjust the air/fuel. Anyways, its a forum so I figured it would be more fun to ask away.

Jeff

Last edited: