Anyone else in NY/NJ area feel that earthquake/tremor?

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Felt the chair under me rocking and realize it was the entire house slowwwlyyy rocking back and forth for about 15 seconds. Called family working in teaneck, nj and they felt the exact same thing! Ramapo mountains have a fault line running through it so I was wondering if anyone in that area felt anything. First time I ever felt that in NJ. Kinda scary! :eek:

Yep, 5.9 mag 90 miles south of DC. Felt it here quite a bit...ran outside to check to make sure my bike didnt fall!!!

Yes I felt it at my shop but thought there was a problem with my desk chair at first. my wife called from rutherford and said that her building was rocking back and forth. Also my mother called from jackson nj and said the same.

Yup. I thought I was going crazy at first but then my whole building started to shake.

I was in an earthquake in California once. Never thought I'd feel one out here. Luckily where I am it was just a rough shake and it appears no major damage occurred.

Hope everyone from here on to down south is OK.

Ready for this? I was on the John at the moment :rof: :rof:

"Why am I dizzy.. I'm not even pushing that hard" :rof: :rof:

I'm up by Lake Ontario and we felt it. Couldn't figure out why I was feeling so dizzy until my boss (in my office) said something about the floor moving.

You guys have no idea.

I live in Central Virginia 25 miles from the Epi-Center! :eek:

My office is a 3 story steel building, I'm on the 3rd floor...the entire buidling was swaying...a couple books fell off my shelves and my monitor was WALKING across my desk. It's been almost 2 hours and I'm still tense from that feeling...never felt anything like that in my life and never want to. It was a similar feeling to grabbing a 230V AC hot wire for 30 seconds...all my muscles were contracting by themselves!

Wife says we lost a couple wine glasses at home, I'm fearing the worst as I go in the basement tonight to inspect our block foundation.

I'm in Southern MD. It was fun for about 10 seconds and ended in disappointment.

Was in class in Williamsburg on the third floor. Building was swaying back and forth, never felt anything like it before. Lasted for about a minute. We had to evacuate the building for a little bit.

The nuclear reactors that supply power to my area are shut down until they are evaluated for damage...I am still waiting to hear if I'll loose power tonight. :(

Downtown Washington, DC was evacuated...may take all week or longer to have them structurally inspected

The town I live in (Culpeper, VA) has the entire downtown portion closed until further notice due to damage to the older buildings and gas leaks

A portion of the roof at our local Target store collapsed

Until I make it home I do not know if I have any damage to my house.

I work downtown DC (Chinatown). Crazy! Evacuations everywhere and metro now traveling 15mph while they inspect the lines. Keep it moving folks...nothing to see here :scared:

i didnt feel a thing but others that work in my buildig did. I was outside and work 1/8 of a mile from a fault line...im suprised i didnt feel anything

i didnt feel a thing but others that work in my buildig did. I was outside and work 1/8 of a mile from a fault line...im suprised i didnt feel anything

That's because deep quakes don't travel through fault lines and you were over 300 miles from the center of the quake (my back yard!) :BLAA:

I work NE of the epicenter, about 55 miles away. In an old Quonset hut, with lots of modifications. Thought the hurricane had arrived early, as all of the sheet metal started rattling. Then the ground started swaying.....

Yeah, it was an earthquake, but not too much of one. The Richter scale is logarithmic. a 7 is 10X what a 6 is, and an 8 is 10X that.

Yeah, right. Earthquake in NJ NY area. Yeah, right. Must be something in the water that many are drinking. Everybody knows, NJ/NY don't get earthquakes. You probably didn't notice the heavy truck passing by just when the building swayed. (that what they told me once when I announded that I just felt an eathquake in Honolulu).

I was putting a buoy in the water in Indian River....didnt know anything happened until we got back to the ferry terminal in Lewes. My GF called me and asked if thats what earthquakes feel like......I said, Babe, I grew up in CA.....:BLAA:

Last edited:
Yeah, right. Earthquake in NJ NY area. Yeah, right. Must be something in the water that many are drinking. Everybody knows, NJ/NY don't get earthquakes. You probably didn't notice the heavy truck passing by just when the building swayed. (that what they told me once when I announded that I just felt an eathquake in Honolulu).

LOL the first thing I did was run out to see if semi had just driven by!

Back