Asphalt or Concrete

Asphalt or Concrete

• I prefer freeways/motorways made out of Asphalt.

Votes: 148 89.7%
  • I prefer freeways/motorways made out of concrete.

Votes: 17 10.3%

• Total voters

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Germany they have lots of signs for bikes basically saying be careful (I cannot read German but I got the point) especially in the back roads around the Eiffel mountains, like near the Nürburgring. I guess lots of riders take turns too fast and the Germans (at least the ones I was behind) are bad about crossing the center line in curves.

About the autobahn, there were a few unsmooth parts I drove through. But do not be confused. Compared to other national freeway systems the German autobahn is one of the best (especially compared to crappy US interstates). On the unrestricted zones you can take sweeping curves at 130+mph and not have to worry about hitting a bump. Spain also had real nice freeways (almost all asphalt) but they did not have reflectors to mark the lanes and driving 100+ at night around curves was a little stressful.

I agree, the autobahn is great, the stchows (sp?) (traffic jams) can really suck, makes LA look like a joke at times.

I had the chance to autocross on an airforce base once and the course was on rough textured concrete that was part of the taxiways. Going through the turns you could see a fine shower of rubber coming from the cars as they cornered. The traction was like no other, lots of fun!

H

HavBlue

Compared to other national freeway systems the German autobahn is one of the best (especially compared to crappy US interstates). On the unrestricted zones you can take sweeping curves at 130+mph and not have to worry about hitting a bump.

Agreed, it is one of the best but consider this, Germany has a small percentage of the overall miles of roadways we do here in the United States. If you use 130+mph (210kmph) with sweeping turns as a benchmark, try running 230mph (370kmph) on 2 lane blacktop over a measured 92.8 miles (149km) on public roadway in the State of Nevada; and get this, it's legal and very smooth with a straightaway 15 miles long that ends with an off-camber turn posted at a suggested 45mph (72kmph). This is permitted twice a year from Ely to Hiko. My point is simply this, there are a number of roads and sections of interstate within these United States that could handle ever bit of the speeds associated with the autobahn and smoothly too. The problem we face here is simply that folks can't drive and they do give driver's licenses away in every box of Fruit Loops hence the reason it would never even be considered on a state or national level.......

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, it is one of the best but consider this, Germany has a small percentage of the overall miles of roadways we do here in the United States. If you use 130+mph (210kmph) with sweeping turns as a benchmark, try running 230mph (370kmph) on 2 lane blacktop over a measured 92.8 miles (149km) on public roadway in the State of Nevada; and get this, it's legal and very smooth with a straightaway 15 miles long that ends with an off-camber turn posted at a suggested 45mph (72kmph). This is permitted twice a year from Ely to Hiko. My point is simply this, there are a number of roads and sections of interstate within these United States that could handle ever bit of the speeds associated with the autobahn and smoothly too. The problem we face here is simply that folks can't drive and they do give driver's licenses away in every box of Fruit Loops hence the reason it would never even be considered on a state or national level.......

Damn Blue, you hit the nail on the head! Morons on the highway, don't get me started!

H

HavBlue

Damn Blue, you hit the nail on the head! Morons on the highway, don't get me started!

OK, this is a true story Pete.

When we first came to Kentucky in January of 2006 I trailered the FZ6 out. I was to be here 5 days. The weather was to be poor for the first 3 days but as it turned out it was pretty good so I dropped the bike. I rode from the daughter's new house into Bowling Green and hit what they consider traffic. Being from California I went right up the middle, no problem. After going through 3 lights I was stopped by a cop. He said, "I might of known you were from California (personalized plate still on the bike), ya'll can't do that here. These folks cain't drive." He proceeded to tell me he rode bikes (was stationed in San Diego while an SP in the Navy) and gave me a real good insight to whats going on. Two years later I can tell you these folks tailgate to the max and bump drafting is an order of the day. Stop doesn't mean squat and yellow on a light means go faster as red means lets see how many people can get through before the other side takes off. The motorcycle license skills test could be passed by a monkey on a moped and the driver's test could be passed after drinking four glasses of good corn liquor. European tests require far more skill as do those in Japan. Bottom line, as long as you understand everybody out there is trying to kill you you've got a chance. Forget this and your dead......

I will however say if you stick to the no line thin a$$ back roads this place has some of the best asphalt I have ever been on and I love it......

Trncaba

Reaction score
Visit site
I will however say if you stick to the no line thin a$$ back roads this place has some of the best asphalt I have ever been on and I love it......[/QUOTE]

Ah Blue the great state of KY. We were there for 2 years, not the best drivers but the backroads are good like you said! Slovakia has nasty roads!! THey look like they have been crazy quilted by someone that has had way to much to drink! Can't wait to get to Austria where the roads are soo much better!
Trina

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Asphalt or concrete? Yeah, I've noticed that both exist on freeways. Now, to get off subject. My most memorable hitchiking experience was West Germany in 1986. I was last in the hitchiking queue among probably about 10-15 others. I had expected a considerable wait since German drivers (at least in the 80's) understand the courtesy that hitchers in the front have been waiting the longest (kinda like taxicab queues). Within minutes, a motorist ignored the protocol and pulled over in a new Porsche 911 Turbo Carrera and invited me in. (As we pulled out I could "sense" the envy among the others still waiting for a ride.) We struck up a pretty good conversation thanks to my German language major. I learned that he worked in a Porsche dealership (he gave me his card) and that he liked to drive fast. How fast? 265 kph which translates to 165 mph! (During this hair raising 2-3 hour or so autobahn experience he casually remarked that he already wrecked once at high speed in a Porsche) It was truly a thrilling experience. Motorists ahead on the autobahn---if they were in the "fast" lane, almost always were aware of the traffic behind and immediately moved out of the fast lane as to not impede faster moving traffic. Driving in the fast lane on a German autobahn seemed tantamount maybe to taxing on an airport runway; one has to be SURE that it's safe or that one has "clearance" before entering/remaining in this lane because Germans take their driving very seriously. Needless to say, we arrived near the Czech border from Munich in almost no time.

gpwanabe

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Dale Earnhardt said it best. Asphalt is for racing, concrete is for getting there.
I wouldn't promote racing on the street but I think we like it for the same reasons. A smooth surface with lots of grip to ride on.

We have quite a bit of concrete on the freeways here but they have been replacing it with rubberized asphalt. It’s smooth like conventional asphalt but lasts longer.
Quiet Roads ~ What is Rubberized Asphalt?

Darren

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I know in Michigan they like to change it up. I tend to feel safer on Concrete when I'm in my car driving in bad weather or snow. I also wrecked my Jeep in the same conditions, I guess I was over confident about the road conditions. :spank:

I agree with everyone else about riding on asphalt especially if it's fresh. :BLAA:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Shetland in the UK has the best asphalt roads I have ever had the pleasure of riding. Most other roads are in a shocking state.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOG3xeHQ5vU]YouTube - Shetland Motorbike Tour October 2009[/ame]

All paid for by every barrel of UK oil that passes through the Islands.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Shetland in the UK has the best asphalt roads I have ever had the pleasure of riding. Most other roads are in a shocking state.

YouTube - Shetland Motorbike Tour October 2009

All paid for by every barrel of UK oil that passes through the Islands.

well... We are the largest oil exporter in the world relative to population, yet we really have crappy roads. On the other hand, we own 2% of all the world's shares through the world's second largest public fund. :spank:

What good will that yield when the day comes that the bonds and shares are practically not even worth the paper they're printed on... We're still stuck with an infrastructure well behind what they have in Albania........... Just had to vent:rolleyes:

Mutineer

recent addict...
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Boston only bridges and overpasses are really made of concrete these days. The roads are some of the worst in the country because of the amount of salt and ice we deal with every winter, so they are constantly patching pot holes in the asphalt.

-M

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I like Asphalt but this past Saturday I had to ride 2 hours on the interstate in the rain at night and it would of been nice if the road surface was a lighter color. Not a huge deal, asphalt is much better than hitting rigid concrete areas.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant imagine riding on a concrete road...the thought of it, just scares me...grip factor 0!!!!

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I voted asphalt 100% better than concrete.

We've had our major ring road as concrete since it was laid. It's rubbish. From a municipal perspective it has advantages, most relating to costs and maintenance. BUT, i need to be very clear here: it is wholly unsafe.

Your average stopping time on concrete is longer than wet tar (asphalt)!!!
Traction is less, it wears tyres more than tar, it's also more likely to have grooves, corrogated sections, and every other problem you can imagine.

Thankfully they are redoing our roads asphalt, amongst many other improvements, but the word around here has always been, if you're taking the concrete highway, watch yourself.