Battery Replacement Cost??

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I had a brain fart yesterday when I got to work and forgot to turn my ignition key off. One of the cons for turning the bike off with the engine cut-off switch, you must remember to turn the key or you will end up draining the battery. But it was the first time in about 2 1/2 years. Anyways, it was time to replace the battery anyways.

So I called Cycle Gear and they quoted me $139.00 for model # YT12B-BS. With my instructor's discount of 30%, I'm going to be paying about $100. With this price, it comes with a lifetime guarantee, meaning that this will be the last time I will ever have to buy a battery as long as I own my bike.

Is this a good deal? I checked online for the same battery and I've seen it go for as low as $70 but it didn't include shipping and the warranty was only 6 months to a year.

My bike is my only ride, so I have to get the battery today. I'm borrowing my roomates R6 to get me around for today.

For $30 more and a lifetime warranty you can't beat that. That is as long as you keep the bike for awhile. The batteries in most bikes generally start to go in 3 years or so (In my experiance) even using a trickle charger....

Scott

First of all, if you can get it today for $100, buy it.

A friend mentioned this same Cycle Gear "lifetime warranty" the other day. I'm interested what the true fine print is on this claim. If they are only going to warrant the actual battery that you buy for life and not the replacement, then this might be a crappy deal.

IOW, if Battery "A" is the unit you purchase today, and it lasts 15 months, you take it back and they exchange it for another Battery "B". Do they continue to warrant Battery "B" for life, or have they fulfilled their obligation? I tried to bring up them details of this program online, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm not being negative, just curious.

First of all, if you can get it today for $100, buy it.

A friend mentioned this same Cycle Gear "lifetime warranty" the other day. I'm interested what the true fine print is on this claim. If they are only going to warrant the actual battery that you buy for life and not the replacement, then this might be a crappy deal.

IOW, if Battery "A" is the unit you purchase today, and it lasts 15 months, you take it back and they exchange it for another Battery "B". Do they continue to warrant Battery "B" for life, or have they fulfilled their obligation? I tried to bring up them details of this program online, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm not being negative, just curious.

John,

Great question. I will double check with them again. But I did specifically ask will this be the very last battery I will ever have to buy and they said yes. As long as I own my bike. Just bring it down and they will give me a new battery no questions asked. But they did say that this is the last battery that they had with this type of warranty.

$65ish (after $10) rebate from batteries plus for a gel battery (best for the heat). What type of battery is the lifetime guarantee one?

John,

Great question. I will double check with them again. But I did specifically ask will this be the very last battery I will ever have to buy and they said yes. As long as I own my bike. Just bring it down and they will give me a new battery no questions asked. But they did say that this is the last battery that they had with this type of warranty.

sorry i know this is an old thread but did you ever find out the details vegasrider? i bought one also assuming i can trade each battery in its worth its weight in well, batteries lol.

but if i can only trade 1 battery in its not that great but hey 2 batteries for 115- if i do math well its just under 60$ for 2 batteries...

they also quoted "its the last battery you will ever need to buy"

just wanted to know what you found out, ill probably go ask again since im in CG once a week.

haha, they offered me a job when i went to get the battery lol i have to be going to much :( they guy behind the counter said hey work part time get some REALLY good discounts

i might consider that lol:rockon::rockon:

Since this thread, I think I have exchanged at least two maybe 3 of their CG Batteries. Each time I left the battery with them overnight for them to confirm that it cannot hold a charge. After confirmation, I got a new battery. The life span averages around 1.5 years. Or in the case of my most recent CG battery, about 13k miles. After moving to Boise and experiencing my first winter here where the low temps got down to 0 F for seven straight days, my CG Battery failed again so this time I went back to the OEM.

I still have the CG Battery which I can exchange anytime for a new one.

Since this thread, I think I have exchanged at least two maybe 3 of their CG Batteries. Each time I left the battery with them overnight for them to confirm that it cannot hold a charge. After confirmation, I got a new battery. The life span averages around 1.5 years. Or in the case of my most recent CG battery, about 13k miles. After moving to Boise and experiencing my first winter here where the low temps got down to 0 F for seven straight days, my CG Battery failed again so this time I went back to the OEM.

I still have the CG Battery which I can exchange anytime for a new one.

ehh since i live here in THE FROZEN TUNDRA we call cali foniiiiiaaaa ill probably be ok with this battery if it lasts a year i dont mind removing and getting another free bee since ill be working there part time soon it will be an easy exchange haha

I highly recommend Shorai lightweight lithium batteries. They're about the same price as an OEM Yuasa, or a little more...but they out perform them by 100%.

They have a higher cold cranking amp output than the equivalebt lead acid battery.

They start the bike instantly, with one turn of the starter motor.

They lose less than 10% of their charge if left unused for 12 months.

They take 5 minutes of riding to fully charge if you've somehow managed to flatten or lower them.

They last 5-8 years....like Yausa's used to, but haven't since the mid 2000's.

And the best bit...they weigh around 3-4 kg less than a lead acid battery!

I've got two, one in each of my R1's, they're brilliant. Contact motomummy.com :thumbup:

Back