BD-43 headlight mod alternative

zixxerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to do the BD-43 mod. I had the airbox off and the batt box pulled back but I just didn't have the nerve to pull hard enough to get the big connector out far enough to separate it. Then I saw someone suggestting a jumper from the black/green lead on the left light to the top (empty) slot on the right light.
Super simple and way easier to access.

However, this mod could have you melting the harness with two lights running from a circuit meant for one. So I used the black/green from the left to act as the trigger on a relay that runs the second low beam from the battery (with inline 10 amp fuse).

Again this was still a much simpler process than the BD-43 method (at least for me). Anyone else tried this set-up?

This will work, but if you run your high beem, the low beem will be on in that light also. The high beem wire should rest at ground, so you could use that for ground on the relay. That way, when you turn the high beem on, the low will shut off.

I did the BD-43 mod over x-mas break. The connector has a locking tab on it so make sure you release that tab before you pull the connector. Mine really was not that bad, I think the hardest part was making the contact to go into the connector. I think it would be safer to run a wire from the connector instead of putting a load on the one wire. You do have a good idea on the relay though, the only thing is you still have to find power to supply the low beam.

I did the BD-43 mod over x-mas break. The connector has a locking tab on it so make sure you release that tab before you pull the connector. Mine really was not that bad, I think the hardest part was making the contact to go into the connector. I think it would be safer to run a wire from the connector instead of putting a load on the one wire. You do have a good idea on the relay though, the only thing is you still have to find power to supply the low beam.

The only load I have added is the operation of the relay , which I believe is minimal. Power for the low beam came right from the battery.

I can't see the high and low beam running together as problematic since they draw power from separate sources through different wires.

Time should tell how well it works....

The only load I have added is the operation of the relay , which I believe is minimal. Power for the low beam came right from the battery.

I can't see the high and low beam running together as problematic since they draw power from separate sources through different wires.

Time should tell how well it works....

The problem will come from the H4 having the high and low filaments on at the same time. The bulb WILL burn out due to excess heat.

That was a real good idea, but just go for it and pull the connector block apart, then insert the wire harness as described in BD's instructions. After it's all done it's really not that hard. :cheer:

Doc

...and probably melt the housing

And drain the battery as you will be pulling double the Watts and the chagring system won't be able to keep up.

If you do your mod this way you will end up with a dead battery. And I'll nuke any thread you start crying about how your bike died on you and wont run. ;)

We have warned others about doing this mod this way and now I am cautioning you. You do not want both filaments running at the same time.

The BD43 is a safe, cheap, proven and easy mod to do and will give you a proper dual headlight mod.

Last edited:
FAAK You guys got me spooked now.

Hadn't really thought too much about the extra watts I'm drawing especially since I've fallen in love with my electric vest.

I tried the BD43 and for me the large connector was just too tightly buried behind the coils. I had the airbox out and the batt box pulled back but I wasn't going yank hard enough to get it out and risk screwing up other stuff.

I can simply diconnect the black/green to the relay and leave everyrhing else in place and I'm back to where I started.

An earlier poster mentioned using the relay to switch between the two beams but I didn't really understand it. If the the ground ran through the high beam I would then be back to running two lights from one circuit, I think. My electrical is barely passable. I suppose I could somehow figure a way to add a second relay to prevent both lights being on at once but thats a lot of fiddle faaking for something I never see when I'm riding it.

Oh well, it was a fun way to kill some winter down time.......

I used a switch for my headlight setup so that if I use my heated gloves or the 12v socket for my GPS I can turn them off and conserve power. Others have used relays to do the same thing.

Ok, so I thought about this yesterday and I believe the fix I need is to add a second relay that uses the high beam feed for the trigger to turn off the low beam. The first relay needs power to turn it on the second relay will need power to turn it off.

I think this will solve the two on - overheating concern. Does anyone see a problem with set -up? Other than

A) I was too much of a wuss to yank out the wires and do BD43
B) My method means preparing seven different wires and over 15 soldered connections?

I'm a ways down this road and now I'm determined to see this through.

This stuff can get complicated. One suggestion would be best to sketch out a diagram of where all the wires are going including relays.

Back