bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

I also bought Daryl's wire harness!:cheer:

I got in the mail a day or two ago, It is very nicely made!:thumbup:

I plan to install the harness next Friday!...I can't wait.:rockon:

It's people like Daryl that make this site worth reading everyday!:D

I will report back next weekend when I finish the install!;)

It's people like Daryl that make this site worth reading everyday!:D

Completely agree Bill, I got my harness in the mail yesterday, will be fitting it today :D

I'm impressed with the harness, and the speed of delivery... From Canada to Aus in 8 days... Not bad at all.

Thanks Daryl. Will report back with pics this arvo... hopefully.

:rockon:

I have to agree, it does look stupid (when only left side lit) and i have been thinking of modding my FZ6 aswell, to have the both bulbs lighting when on lowbeam, but i came across one thing, and ill try to explain it, even tho my english aint that great! Here goes nothing:

The left-side "glass" that haves the bulb inside, haves a marking "HR", and the right one haves a marking "HC".. As far as i know (which can be totally wrong), this means "Close" and "Range" and the glass should have marking "HCR" to use both, low- and high-beam bulb, as in finland ive heard people got fined for modding their bike lights... :spank:

But i dont know if this is right, i came across this when i was searching for info on how to mod the lightning (thanks for the great pic's and explanations by the way!!!)

Ok, job done. :thumbup: My bike now has 20/20 vision.. lol

All up, about 55 minutes, (I should have gone for a ride and used up some of the gas...lol).
Only took about 5 mins to thread the wire through the frame and connect it up, all the rest of the time is just removing the tank, airbox.. etc.

Works great, just waiting for it to get dark now so I can go test it out :D

:rockon:

Bugga, forgot to take pics.. Will do that when it gets dark.

Thanks again Daryl, a great service you are doing for this community. Greatly appreciated.

You rock mate...:thumbup: :rockon: :steve: :hug: :thumbup:

I have to agree, it does look stupid (when only left side lit) and i have been thinking of modding my FZ6 aswell, to have the both bulbs lighting when on lowbeam, but i came across one thing, and ill try to explain it, even tho my english aint that great! Here goes nothing:

The left-side "glass" that haves the bulb inside, haves a marking "HR", and the right one haves a marking "HC".. As far as i know (which can be totally wrong), this means "Close" and "Range" and the glass should have marking "HCR" to use both, low- and high-beam bulb, as in finland ive heard people got fined for modding their bike lights... :spank:

But i dont know if this is right, i came across this when i was searching for info on how to mod the lightning (thanks for the great pic's and explanations by the way!!!)

Yes, the right light will not work nearly as well as left one in "low beam" mode because the reflector is only set up for "high beam". It will still give you more light than just having the left light on and it certainly is more visible.
No idea about the fine thing.. definitely not an issue with this mod in the States.

Daryl,

Well I had some time today while the wife was napping, so I rushed to mow the lawn.....so I could install the harness.:rolleyes:

30 minutes...no problem. I only loosened the air box and pulled it back a little to make room to pull the battery holder forward enough to get to the connector harness where the wire was to be inserted. Very easy and installs in a snap!:D

I love the way it looks..no more "your light is out" comments!:Flip:

Thank you Daryl, I would recommend not only the mod, but also doing business with you!:Flash:

Got the cable on Friday, finished up install at lunch today (I'm doing it in support of the dual bi-xenon mod). As everyone says, BD43's cable is a nice piece of work. One "feature request" for this cable would be to insert a quick-connect in the middle of it. As it is now, if you wanted to fully remove the fairing, you'd have to remove BD43's cable from the headlight, and unthread it all the way back through the run of cables that goes along the left edge of the fairing. I clipped the cable in half, added a male-female connector set on each end of my cut, so that now BD43's cable can be disconnected at the same point as the two other runs of cables that go from the chassis to the fairing.

I managed to get it installed without messing with the airbox, as a recommendation half way through this long thread suggested. The airbox removal/install seems to be a PITA for some, but if you don't remove it, you also can't remove the battery box, which leads to limited access for handling the connector that is inside the rubber boot. I couldn't get good access to the back of the male connector where BD43's cable is supposed to go. It seemed like there was no possible way I was going to manage to thread BD43's cable into the proper slot of that connector. I was just kind of poking it around in various random places hoping to get lucky, because I couldn't see where it was going. As frustration mounted, I was just about to resort to loud cussing and kicking my cat around, when it suddenly and miraculously had engaged in the correct slot. When I pushed it forward into its slot, it made the most beautiful clicking sound as it snapped into position. I was sure glad that while messing with trying to get it in the right slot, I wasn't working with some hacked-up pin I'd made myself, with the uncertainty of it would stay in its socket properly.

Outside of that, the only issue I had was while I was screwing the battery cover back on, the negative battery lead cable (still loose at this point) had gotten under the head of the battery cover bolt, unbeknowst to me. As I screwed down on that bolt, it ripped open the insulation on the negative battery cable. I noticed and put electrical tape around it, but it's scary to think of what untraceable intermittent problems I may have had had I not noticed that and the cable was occassionally shorting to something.

One "feature request" for this cable would be to insert a quick-connect in the middle of it. As it is now, if you wanted to fully remove the fairing, you'd have to remove BD43's cable from the headlight, and unthread it all the way back through the run of cables that goes along the left edge of the fairing. I clipped the cable in half, added a male-female connector set on each end of my cut, so that now BD43's cable can be disconnected at the same point as the two other runs of cables that go from the chassis to the fairing.

Yup.. I did exactly the same thing. And Daryl told me he did the same thing on his as well. Very simple to add a connector there.

I finally (finally! FINALLY!) did the headlight mod yesterday. I did not purchase the wire from Daryl, I made my own. But I definitely could not have done it without this thread. It took all evening, but I worked slowly and had dinner in the middle. I also had not cut my wire to length when I started, to enable me to get it more or less exact without any extra, so I had to measure the length needed by threading a wire through, then go put on the bulb-socket termination, so that added some time. Without dinner and with the wire already terminated on both ends, I think I could have done it in about 90 minutes. Anyhow, after I got everything buttoned up, I rolled the bike into the driveway, started her up and, as someone famous once said - let there be light! No more one-eyed cyclops, did-you-know-one-of-your-headlights-is-out.

Prior to doing the project I copied, formatted and printed the instructions so I could refer to them easily as I did the project. The main purpose of this message is to present a pdf version of the intructions in case others might find them useful too.

I used a pin that I salvaged from a connector that came off of a part I replaced on my Honda Civic, it was exactly the same as the Yamaha pin. I had actually made a pin and terminated it on a wire, but cut that off when I found a real one. I actually found two pins on the Civic part. If anyone wants the other Civic pin or my home made one, PM me and I'll mail it to you.

I got my wire from Daryl yesterday, and was thinking wether if i can be arsed to fight with the airbox... But i decided to do it right away, so i went to my bigbrothers place (15 minutes) and removed tank, airbox, batter and the other cheek of the bike, installed the wire and prepared to a fight with the airbox...

but no, it popped right in and i put everything together and got bike running ( all this in less than 45 min!) and its working & looking great!! Im just falling more in love with this bike... Thanks Daryl !

Received the cable. The mod is completed :)
I was so concetrated on the airbox fitment (which as most ppl say is the hardest part) that I connected the provided wire to the wrong side! :banghead: ;)
Had to cut the plug to get the wire out. Changed the bulbs to Hella "+50% light" and the effect is pretty amazing. Now I'm worried that the cops would pull me over thinking I'm using the high beams ;)

drn - just write BD43 a priv msg on the forum. I'm sure he has some left.

Finally got around to doing mine last night.

Very simple, took about 1.5 hours only because I was forcing myself to take my time.

A little tip -- put the airbox on before you bolt up the battery box. (that cost me 15 mins)

Thanks BD43!

Got my wire harness. Very nice. Install wasn't bad at all.

Thanks BD43

I received my kit from bd43 yesterday, only took 7 days.

Thanks, bdf3

I'm going to do the mod this weekend, but I attempted to take the inner fairings off, but wasn't able to get the screw that at the top, just off the mirror arm, undone. I was able to take the 3 screws that are on the fairing off. plz help!!

Last edited:
I just got back from a friends house who had the tools I needed to do the mod, but it took no time at all. It works great, now I need to get better lights.

Thanks BD43

Just finished the upgrade on my FZ6 2008 S2.

The cable arrived very quickly from BD43 and did exactly what it said on the tin!

I also replaced the headlight bulbs with Philips Blue Vision Xenon effect bulbs and it looks fantastic!

The only tiny issue I had was getting to one of the hex screws that clamps the air box to the intakes - one of the four requires quite a long Allen key to reach. Other than that the entire mod took no time at all (after taking a very deep breath and starting to remove the air box!).

Thanks BD43!

I felt that the air box was going to be hard, but it was easy, what took me a while was trying to get the connection wires back in it's place so the battery box would go back in. I must have spent 10 min try to mess with it.

I want to up grade my bulbs too. I have to wait till payday lol.

Back