bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a 2004 and both methods work. Taking the inner fairing off is probably recommended for this mod anyway because you'll likely route the new wire through there. That said, when I go under the tank normally, I usually unscrew the rear retaining bolt and pull it up that way. It's much faster.

Sounds good. Found the page in the manual explaining how to remove them and it doesn't look too bad.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Taking the inner fairing off is probably recommended for this mod anyway because you'll likely route the new wire through there. That said, when I go under the tank normally, I usually unscrew the rear retaining bolt and pull it up that way. It's much faster.

+1^^.

I'd pull the inner fairing as you'll have to route that wire up, out of sight anyway.

With the inner fairing off (front two, tank bolts removed), loosen the rear tank bolt and just swing the tank up. Do NOT go too far back with the tank or you'll tear up the two electrical fuel line connections (just go slow).

Once the tank is up, a paint mixing stick with the rear bolt snugged down is usually good.

Just when re-installing the tank, make sure the two hoses (on each side of the tank that run towards the rear (ones a drain, one's a vent) are NOT KINKED. Just follow them with your hand and gently tug on them. They should exit on the lower RIGHT side of the frame area, just ahead and off to the side of the rear wheel. (Do this EVERYTIME you lift the tank)..

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
I received bd43's wire after about a week. I'm pretty familiar with getting the battery/airbox out and this took me about 30 minutes. I used the instructions from his website listed on the included instructions. The photos are great on his site. Not much to say except he makes a solution better than I would and it was worth the $37. I cant think of a better way to make this wire. Fit and function is perfect.

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I received bd43's wire after about a week. I'm pretty familiar with getting the battery/airbox out and this took me about 30 minutes. I used the instructions from his website listed on the included instructions. The photos are great on his site. Not much to say except he makes a solution better than I would and it was worth the $37. I cant think of a better way to make this wire. Fit and function is perfect.

Yes sir, I agree!

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I was removing the battery earlier so I thought I'd try installing the cable at the same time but was also on a time crunch to get done before thanksgiving dinner. I eventually gave up because I didn't have enough time but I got stuck remove the airbox. I loosened the 4 clamps and slid them down the tubing, but pulling the tubing off of the box was very difficult. Just for the hell of it, I tried lifting up the airbox and it seemed like it was bolted down in some other places. Did I miss a step?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was removing the battery earlier so I thought I'd try installing the cable at the same time but was also on a time crunch to get done before thanksgiving dinner. I eventually gave up because I didn't have enough time but I got stuck remove the airbox. I loosened the 4 clamps and slid them down the tubing, but pulling the tubing off of the box was very difficult. Just for the hell of it, I tried lifting up the airbox and it seemed like it was bolted down in some other places. Did I miss a step?

As I re-call, you don't have to remove the air box for the BD43 install, JUST the battery box (its been about 4 years).

Re removing the air box in either case, those rubber hoses tend to stick to the metal. As long as the mounting bolts are removed and the boots loosened, it should come off...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

- One set at the top of the battery box 4 bolts total.
- 4 hose clamps. 2 for idle air, 1 for crankcase breather, 1 for AIS solenoid valve for adding air to the exhaust.
- 4 TB clamps. 3mm

Grab the air box and rock it in a circle to break the bond at the throttle bodies and it should come free if the 4 boot clamps are loose.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
- One set at the top of the battery box 4 bolts total.
- 4 hose clamps. 2 for idle air, 1 for crankcase breather, 1 for AIS solenoid valve for adding air to the exhaust.
- 4 TB clamps. 3mm

Grab the air box and rock it in a circle to break the bond at the throttle bodies and it should come free if the 4 boot clamps are loose.

Finally got around to doing this now that the weather cooperated. The box was just on pretty tight at the TB clamps, but I got it off. I had to loosen them a good amount to put it back on...then discovered I did not have the long allen keys necessary to tighten them. Popped over to the store and got it finished. Updated to PIAA bulbs at the same time and it looks great! Thanks BD43!

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got around to doing this now that the weather cooperated. The box was just on pretty tight at the TB clamps, but I got it off. I had to loosen them a good amount to put it back on...then discovered I did not have the long allen keys necessary to tighten them. Popped over to the store and got it finished. Updated to PIAA bulbs at the same time and it looks great! Thanks BD43!

Did you buy the mod recently?

Seanzi

Reaction score
Visit site
I told bd43 that I would try to make a video.

bd43 said:
Seanzi said:
I received the harness on Monday and I am impressed with the quality; It looks great! I plan on installing it this weekend. I was wondering if anyone had made an install video yet? Let me know as I can probably get my buddy to help record the process.
Hi Sean;

Thanks for letting me know that you got it. Hope the install goes well for you. I am not aware of any video so if you are up to the challenge, you're contribution to the FZ6 community would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and safe riding!

My friend never ended up helping me record, so I made a horrible video a year or so ago and I did not want to take the time to edit all the video. I will leave you a link to the videos and maybe it might help someone because its not doing any good sitting on my HD. Here's the Google drive link.

If anyone wants permissions on the drive to rename the videos or edit them, PM me.

Please ignore all the rusty stuff on my bike... everything rusts in Florida :(

-SeanZi

Last edited:

AdrianB1

Reaction score
Visit site
More than 2 years after I did my mod, the story and the conclusions:
- I bought the excellent quality wire harness from [MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION] and mounted it on the bike around Jan 2013
- I was riding this way until Nov 2013 with absolutely no problem
- back in Nov 2013 one day driving home in heavy traffic (lots of stoplights, lots of stops with engine running at idle rpm) I got home, stopped the bike. 15 minutes later I wanted to start it to move it in a different spot, the battery was almost dead (good battery, less than 18 months old)
- I charged it, but measuring the charge I noticed the voltage was low, so I went to the dealer (the bike was under warranty); they checked everything and found nothing wrong, they also tested with a different battery, relay, rotor
- in the end they removed the harness and everything was fine again

My opinion/conclusions:
- the charging in FZ6 is not good at low rpm, so I guess that's why the guys at Yamaha disabled the left headlamp low beam by removing the wire
- riding in the city at low rpm is a bad scenario for using the mod; riding out of the city is fine
- there are a couple of optimizations to the electrical consumption that can be done and it will help a bit: 1. I replaced the tail light bulb (21W) with a led lamp; saved ~ 20W and 2. running with 35W HID is not only brighter than a 50W halogen bulb, but it consumes only ~ 43W per piece; that means the consumption can be reduced fro 121W (2x50 front + 21 rear) to ~87W (2x43 front + ~1W rear); this saves 35W, reducing the risk of the dual headlamp mod to drain the battery while riding at low rpm or in bad traffic
- is the dual headlamp mod worth? Yes, in some conditions is well worth. Last year I was running at night in Croatian mountains (I was on a tour across 10 countries in Europe) and there are some 180 degree turns; the light produced by the second headlamp makes a difference.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
- there are a couple of optimizations to the electrical consumption that can be done and it will help a bit: 1. I replaced the tail light bulb (21W) with a led lamp; saved ~ 20W and 2. running with 35W HID is not only brighter than a 50W halogen bulb, but it consumes only ~ 43W per piece; that means the consumption can be reduced fro 121W (2x50 front + 21 rear) to ~87W (2x43 front + ~1W rear); this saves 35W, reducing the risk of the dual headlamp mod to drain the battery while riding at low rpm or in bad traffic
- is the dual headlamp mod worth? Yes, in some conditions is well worth. Last year I was running at night in Croatian mountains (I was on a tour across 10 countries in Europe) and there are some 180 degree turns; the light produced by the second headlamp makes a difference.

Thanks Adrian, I've been procrastinating since I bought this bike, 3 months.
I don't do a lot of night driving, that's why I don't have enough motivation for my lazy arse.
BTW, what model is yours, you mention 2011, s2 in your profile :confused:.

Can you please post the model of HID kit you upgraded to, and the details of the LED for the tail light.
Thanks.

owen101

Reaction score
Visit site
Received bd43's cable in Ireland after about a week for a 2008 S2. No problems with install and not much to say except I don't think could be made any better. Worth the money. Added some Philips Xtreme Visions and bikevis LEDs also for good measure.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Received bd43's cable in Ireland after about a week for a 2008 S2. No problems with install and not much to say except I don't think could be made any better. Worth the money. Added some Philips Xtreme Visions and bikevis LEDs also for good measure.

How was the install on the bikevis? Did you solder? I just ordered them yesterday. Seems pretty straight forward.

AdrianB1

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you please post the model of HID kit you upgraded to, and the details of the LED for the tail light.
Thanks.

S2. Generic Chinese stuff from DX.

This is the let tail light: 1157 / BAY15D 5W 27-5050 SMD LED Red Car Tail / Brake / Reversing Light (Pair / 12V)

The HID was bought a while ago, that link is no longer available. Yamaha Romania asked me for ~$100 for one HID light (not a pair) that was also no-name, on DX you can buy a set of 2 for about $55.

In my country it is still possible to ride with non-projector HID, except that once every 2 years you have to remove it for one hour to pass the technical inspection. If you don't want to do that, get a pair of good halogen lights at 50W and that's it.

I have also ordered some LED front lights, but it will take several weeks until I will receive and test it. I hope to come back with good news.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on bd43's headlight mod!! I have had the wire for a week now but finally got to it tonight. I am completely electronically challenged and can easily streamline a 1 hour job into 3 hours. However, despite massive ineptitude ("Where's that screwdriver I had just 30 seconds ago?" and "How did I manage to kick that battery box screw across the garage floor and under that piece of cardboard?") I was able to go from parts removal to test ride in 1.5 hours. I couldn't be happier....thanks Daryl! Having the pics online was a huge help!

Kevin :rockon:
I see you and I have studied at the same electronics school LOL.
Always remember if t can't be fixed with a hammer, its electrical.

Nelly

AdrianB1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have also ordered some LED front lights, but it will take several weeks until I will receive and test it. I hope to come back with good news.
Bad news :( I got today the H7 LED light and I did a quick test 5 minutes ago: it works, but the light is weak and scattered; I put the bike against the garage wall at ~ 5 meters away (16 feet) and I was able to see a weak, round light. By comparison the Phillips bulb was showing a horizontal line of strong light at about the middle of the LED circle.

Back to square 1, I will have to find a good way to switch on the left low beam at night and switch it off at day time or go to HID.