Bike and I are OK, but my pride isn't.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
So it's time for me to join the rest of you members of THE HALL OF SHAME. :(
I had my first spill last weekend. It was cloudy, chilly, and the roads were slick. I am a VERY cautious rider, so I was quite surprised that I ended up in a gentle low side slide.

Here is my story: I came up on a very sharp blind curve (left hander), that was a LOT sharper than any other curves on that road. I saw it was a "switch back" and we don't live in the mountains!
I was very proud of myself for staying steady on the throttle, not hitting the brakes, and leaning a bit more to take the turn. Apparently my rear tire was not on the same page as me, because it came out from under me.
My first thought as I was sliding across the road watching my bike slide ahead of me was, "$h!t, I hope I didn't Fu@k up my bike!!" :mad:
Thank God for good gear, and frame sliders. VERY minor damage. I will need a new clutch lever, and cover. Other damage is very minor war wounds.

View attachment 32392

View attachment 32393

View attachment 32394

View attachment 32395

View attachment 32396

My gear did it's job, too. Just that day, a friend had given me some warmer gloves, which also had a much longer gauntlet, which saved my skin on my left wrist. By the looks of my gear, I slid on my left wrist, belly, and left knee. I also have a small gouge out of my helmet on the left side, and a very minor scratch on the visor. I have quite a big grease mark on my knee, also, which makes me wonder if I hit some oil patch, too.

View attachment 32397
View attachment 32398
View attachment 32399

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok. Bike doesn't look too bad. You'll be up and at it again in no time. If there is damage to your helmet, make sure to get a new one. You don't want to trust a used piece of gear to do it's job again...

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a clutch lever off a 2007 with a tiny little scrape on the end, barely notice. What is your address I will pop it in the mail. Need anything else?

Thank you SO much!!! :hug: I will PM you my address.
It was kinda tough to use the lever on the way home. I think it looks like a jester's shoe, all curled up. :D
The bar end got a bit scraped, but I was just going to paint it so it doesn't rust. :eek:
I need to get a new cover for on the left side, too.
I was very happy that my frame slider saved my bike. :)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
So glad you are OK Elizabeth. I think your skill and experience had something to do with saving the bike. Maybe the tires lost grip due to something on the road? If you don't mind me asking, what type of rear tire were you using?

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
So glad you are OK Elizabeth. I think your skill and experience had something to do with saving the bike. Maybe the tires lost grip due to something on the road? If you don't mind me asking, what type of rear tire were you using?

Ummm, stock tire, with about 4000 miles on it. I will have to go out to the shed to see what it is. :eek:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are O.K.! Seems like a lot of people are going down lately... You know its a good day if you can see the next day of light.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
You're 'lucky' you're still able to ride. It's too cold in Chicago! Even though I told myself I was going to ride until they put salt on the road, I decided to put it up for the winter. I was afraid because someone told me something in the bike was going to freeze. If you do contiinue riding, you have to becareful of 'black ice'.

What kind of frame sliders do you have?

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
You're 'lucky' you're still able to ride. It's too cold in Chicago! Even though I told myself I was going to ride until they put salt on the road, I decided to put it up for the winter. I was afraid because someone told me something in the bike was going to freeze. If you do contiinue riding, you have to becareful of 'black ice'.

What kind of frame sliders do you have?

It was unusually warm out last weekend. Very rare that we have "decent" riding weather in November. I don't like cold weather (and apparently neither does my bike!)
My bike is up for the winter, I think. Unless we get another lucky weekend. :D If not, I will go back to that turn to concur it in the warm Spring. :thumbup:

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Your mailbox is full.

Ok it is packed and ready to send I will get it to the post office tomorrow. Coming from Kamloops BC Canada airmail so maybe end of next week?

I had one that was not used as well as well as the one with the scrape from my crash, sent the new one.

Its on me , just pay it forward somehow, next time you are buying a coffee at starbucks pay for the persons behind you :)

Merry Christmas! Glad you are ok!

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
There were very cold days back in October, yet I rode everyday then and I absolutely LOVE IT! If I had a garage or something that I can keep my FZ6 from the cold I would be still riding it till first snow. Someone told me water in the motorcycle would freeze and something would burst and such. That scared me to putting my bike away even though I think it's rubbish.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Your mailbox is full.

Ok it is packed and ready to send I will get it to the post office tomorrow. Coming from Kamloops BC Canada airmail so maybe end of next week?

I had one that was not used as well as well as the one with the scrape from my crash, sent the new one.

Its on me , just pay it forward somehow, next time you are buying a coffee at starbucks pay for the persons behind you :)

What a guy! (Or a clever stalker, just kidding!) :D

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Your mailbox is full.

Thank you SO MUCH, Kamloops!!! I really appreciate it, and will definitely pay it forward.
The group of sport bike riders here locally are doing a toy drive for kids with cancer. I will buy more toys for that to "pay it forward." (I don't like coffee!) ;)
I think I will also stamp the word "Harley" on my "custom" bent lever, and sell it at the next bike swap meet! :D

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Elizabeth, good to see you are OK!

Looks like you stator cover got chewed up a little bit. I had a low side and scuffed mine up. I replaced it with a new cover. I still have the old one. It's not nearly as damaged as yours and in hindsight I could have just spray painted it a little and used it again. You can have it if you would like. It looks like this:

cover.jpg

Let me know! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Looks like you are more or less okay Elizabeth. I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious.