Bike Cutting out when opening the trottle

worldtourist

Reaction score
Visit site
HELP!!

I am not as mechanically savy as I would like to be. Unfortunately my bike has sat outside covered but unridden for just over a year. I have just put a new battery on it and it starts with the choke fully out. However, even though the engine gets warm, when I close the choke the bike cuts out. Also, it cuts out with the choke on when I twist the throttle.

Has anyone got any ideas of what I need to do to over come this? Can I add something to the fuel to clean the fuel lines to get it running properly again?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

I'm imagining the bike is an older bike and if it's sat around for a while it probably has a lot of stale fuel not to mention varnish build up in some key areas.

I'm thinking it has carbs cuz you're using a choke.

Get rid of what fuel is left in the system

Get some fresh gas in it with some type of fuel system cleaner.

Change the fuel filter after you run some new fuel in it.

If it's carbs you may have to pull them and clean the bowls and jets. re-assemble and do a throttle body sync.

I'm not really familiar with your bike but maybe someone here on the forum is.

Good luck!:welcome:

worldtourist

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your help.

Yes it is an older bike - V reg in the UK so I think year 2000.

How would I get the fuel out of the tank? Is there a drain valve or something?? This is my girly ignorance coming through although I am certainly not afraid of getting my hands dirty once I know what I need to do...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hint: right after it stumbles and dies, pull the spark plugs and look at them. If they have actual moisture droplets on the base area near the threads, do as suggested and get all the old gas out. Use the proper dose of fuel stabilizer and new gas. Then try to get the RPMs up enough on the fresh gas to empty the fuel bowls. Like 5min at 4500 rpm steady. See if it clears up. You might start it in total darkness and look for spark jump from the coils, wires, caps etc. You should not see any in total darkness.

Black smoke out the back is raw gas (bad gas, or weak spark).
White smoke is moisture being turned to steam.
Blue smoke is oil being burned.

You might throw some new plugs in it too!

Last edited: