Bike engine will not turn over. Help!

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

My bike was fine when I parked it in my garage a few days back (about a week), and now it won't start. At first I thought it was the battery (just a year old). So I charged it up, and tried to start it - No luck.. I see the Err-1 flash. So I hooked it to the car battery (car turned off).in case my bike battery had some weird problem discharging too fast. And I can hear the engine trying to turn over repeatedly with no luck. I have added a couple of videos of it trying to start with the battery and the jump.

Any thoughts on what is going on and what I can check?

Battery Start - [video=youtube_share;Fm80MK_VmcI]https://youtu.be/Fm80MK_VmcI[/video]
Car Jump Start - [video=youtube_share;T-P9ZjCWEcY]https://youtu.be/T-P9ZjCWEcY[/video]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems you have a big voltage drop when the starter is engaged. The system is failing to start because is this large voltage drop. I can see the readout going blank which means you are either pulling to much current through the starter or you have a bad connection or bad wire from the supply. The other factor could be you have a bad battery and you have too much voltage drop through 2 sets of jumper cables. Always check wiring at the battery and starter relay to insure a poor contact is not the fault.

Last edited:

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the contacts are what I checked first, and they were good. So I proceeded to charge the battery up overnight. What I am seeing (battery or jump) is a sharp fall in battery voltage to less than 9V when the engine tries to turn over. I will check the starter relay today. Hopefully its just some connection loose somewhere, and if anything broken, it is the starter relay - Amazon is selling them for cheap ($12).

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Solenoid-Yamaha-Motorcycle-2006-2008/dp/B008K7Z050

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can also run your jumper cables DIRECT to the STARTER (ground to frame) to make sure the starter itself is good.

With a fully charged car battery, it should spin over quickly/normally...

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all.. Before delving to deep, I figured I'd get a new battery to rule out any funky-ness with the existing battery... and she started right up with the new battery!! The one that went bad was an AGM battery just over a year old and with only about 1500 miles on it :jawdrop:.. and went past its 1-yr warranty this past April :shakehead:.. maybe I just got a bad battery!

Anyways thank you all for your advise and pointers.. I've noted them down if I need them for future reference. Much appreciated!!