Bike Loading Fails

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once inside the box truck, I can turn the bike around using the side stand method and ride it back down. But the truck usually has a 2-3 foot wide ramps, so it's not that difficult.

I've loaded dirt bike onto a pick up, using the skinnier ramps, but again I try to minimize the angle of the ramp by backing the truck into an area that sits up a couple of feet higher than the truck. Using the front brake to hold the bike in position is also a key if you're doing it by yourself so that the bike doesn't begin to roll back down while your trying to get into a new position to complete the loading.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a lot easier with a Toyota 2wd as the bed is so low. I have done my dirt bike and FZ6 by myself many times no problem. But that's with my Toyota too. Some funny stuff watching people load there trucks. LOL :spank:

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Hahha I never get help I wish I could get help loading and unloading bikes!

2010 GMC Texas Editions sit up the same height as the Z71 4x4 trucks the bikes always high center!

Theres always a technique and practice!

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
My bro had a spill recently, they used a canyon chaser strap to hold it down.....well the strap snapped somehow and his bike got smashed a second time in the same day.

The key to loading a trailer is getting the trailer as low as possible first, put the back wheels in a ditch or the gutter. Always use two ramps and like Erici said, friction zone and walk the bike up. then reverse the procedure. Wood is dumb, it slips out.

Hilarious to watch other people fail, sad to see the bikes fall over though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bro had a spill recently, they used a canyon chaser strap to hold it down.....well the strap snapped somehow and his bike got smashed a second time in the same day.

The key to loading a trailer is getting the trailer as low as possible first, put the back wheels in a ditch or the gutter. Always use two ramps and like Erici said, friction zone and walk the bike up. then reverse the procedure. Wood is dumb, it slips out.

Hilarious to watch other people fail, sad to see the bikes fall over though.

Wow.. I've used Canyon Dancer many times. Scary to know that it can snap!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.. I've used Canyon Dancer many times. Scary to know that it can snap!

Any bike I trailer, it gets TWO SETS of straps (both pulling forward) just for that reason. Should one fail, #2 still secures the bike...

For my trailer (much lower than a PU truck), I apply light throttle, stand on the left side of the bike (feet on gthe GROUND), and gently slip the clutch and walk, let the bike power itself up. It does take some practice.

It should be noted that my ramp actually has a 2"-3" side (just like on the main supporting rail) so as long as you start straight, the bike CANNOT slip off. IF the back tire hits that edge crooked, that's not good, so slow up until that point...

Loved the original video BTW!!!!

The below pictures are of my current, two bike trailer I built. You can see the sides of both the ramp and main rails. If you notice, I made the very rear cross member stick out for extra securring points (for tie downs).

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any bike I trailer, it gets TWO SETS of straps (both pulling forward) just for that reason. Should one fail, #2 still secures the bike...

For my trailer (much lower than a PU truck), I apply light throttle, stand on the left side of the bike (feet on gthe GROUND), and gently slip the clutch and walk, let the bike power itself up. It does take some practice.

It should be noted that my ramp actually has a 2"-3" side (just like on the main supporting rail) so as long as you start straight, the bike CANNOT slip off. IF the back tire hits that edge crooked, that's not good, so slow up until that point...

Loved the original video BTW!!!!

The below pictures are of my current, two bike trailer I built. You can see the sides of both the ramp and main rails. If you notice, I made the very rear cross member stick out for extra securring points (for tie downs).
I am never ceased to be amazed about the amount of tools and toys you own.

Nelly

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

This is how I strap mine. I used to use those canyon thingies but they were ruining the grips, when I put the Rizomas on I changed to this set up. I have loops round the bottom triple clamp with tie downs pulling forward, I loop the excess strap round the tie down then tie the loose ends round the tyre so they can't work their way loose.

Another set of straps at the back, also pulling forward.

What I added last time which I don't have a pic of, is a pair at the back pulling down to prevent the bike doing a "stoppie" if I brake very hard.

Lastly there is a strap round the front wheel. When I load the bike I stall it against the wheel channel at the front so it is nice and tight.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is how I strap mine. I used to use those canyon thingies but they were ruining the grips, when I put the Rizomas on I changed to this set up. I have loops round the bottom triple clamp with tie downs pulling forward, I loop the excess strap round the tie down then tie the loose ends round the tyre so they can't work their way loose.

Another set of straps at the back, also pulling forward.

What I added last time which I don't have a pic of, is a pair at the back pulling down to prevent the bike doing a "stoppie" if I brake very hard.

Lastly there is a strap round the front wheel. When I load the bike I stall it against the wheel channel at the front so it is nice and tight.

+1 on the above^.

Re the Canyon Dancers. I had the same issue but came up with a solution so I can use them normally or as back up straps. I got some PVC piping, the inner pipe just clears the grip, the step up (see below) is glued to the other pipe and PREVENTS the CD from moving closer to the grip. With the PVC tubes, it spreads the load out around the entire grip and the inner edge of the grip as well as the inner edge contact area is MUCH LARGER...

I've used this on my FJR (much heavier) with none of the headaches mentions above. You can actually see the Canyon Dancer material setting a pattern in the paint of my tubes if you look close. That pressure WOULD have been transferred to your grips, throttle tube, etc....

Now I haven't had to trailer my FZ, but when I do, like you, I have short soft straps that WILL be wrapped around the lower triple and forks.

Don't pitch the Canyon Dancers, pick up some PVC, do some cutting and glueing, works fine after that...

I do, at least on my sideup (with the sides of the rails raised), still put one of those black, heavy duty rubber straps around the rail then attached to bike. That keeps the rear tire jump out/move should a VERY large bump be encountered.

Last edited: