Bike pushed over

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously, who the hell does this? :Flip:
And of course I didn't get frame sliders yet.

Damage:

-Throttle side handle bar bent
-Handle bar slider probably needs replacing
-part of the lower engine case scraped
-footpeg might be bent
-footpeg slider broken

Sound like enough to justify a claim?

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well definitely worth a smash repair quote in any case - to ensure there's no further (or hidden) damage.

That's unbelievable. And if it was in a public place, unbelievable that no one witnessed it and said something, or took details etc. I hope you can get it back into shape without too many hassles.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, what happened? Did somebody back into it? Was it intentional? Please elaborate! I know if it happened to me that the tilt alarm would go off (and hopefully somebody would notice something?). That really sucks about the damage. If it's vandalism, maybe ins. comprehension will cover it.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
There has to be more to the story...Where was it parked? In proportion to what else around it? What time of day? Sidestand or centerstand?

You're assuming it was knocked over by someone (good possibility) but maybe a strong gust of wind blew it over, or maybe the sidestand (if it was on the sidestand) sunk into the hot pavement. (both have happened to me)

Are there any markings on the "good" side of the bike like paint or scuffs that show a potential point of contact? Was your bike close to a handicapped spot or handicap ramp? Old people are not the most perceptive group, maybe some old person knocked it over and didn't realize it. Are there security cameras in the area? Are the windows facing the spot? Maybe someone saw a couple of little kids palying on it, or a person in a scooter chair trying to get around it, or the mailman back into it.

I won't call in a claim. Bend the brake lever back (if possible) or look for a used/free one that will fit.

It's a terrible sinking feeling to find your bike on it's side...sorry for your situation...:(

FAZERRIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your bike. I know how you feel. My sister in law backed her car into my brand new bike and knocked it over in the yard. It wouldn't have been as bad if she didn't just leave and call my brother about twenty minutes later and tell him. She is off my Christmas list let me tell ya! It had the helmet set over the handlebar end so I think that saved it a lot of damage. Good thing it was a cheap helmet. It still cost $500 to replace the marked parts.
I had another real close call. I take my bike to work at times and park it behind the building on a concrete pad beside a concrete wall. I drive a ready mix truck delivering concrete. If I think I will be away with a load after the shop closes and everyone goes home I put it inside the building. Every once in a while I go out longer than expected and the bike is outside after the shop closes. Well this one day I had to leave at two o'clock for a doctors appointment. About an hour after the shop closed and everyone went home two kids 13&14 slashed every tire on one of the other drivers pick up truck. I was really lucky I left earley that day or my bike would have been messed up bad. I know those kids would have wrecked it. They didn't do anything to them and my bud had to replace the tires himself. I have no insurance for this stuff. Only the minimum amount needed to be on the road. So now if I take it to work it willbe inside the building all day. It burns me bad when people have no respect to other peoples property! If I ever caught someone knocking my bike over I would still be in jail!

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
There has to be more to the story...Where was it parked? In proportion to what else around it? What time of day? Sidestand or centerstand?

You're assuming it was knocked over by someone (good possibility) but maybe a strong gust of wind blew it over, or maybe the sidestand (if it was on the sidestand) sunk into the hot pavement. (both have happened to me)

Are there any markings on the "good" side of the bike like paint or scuffs that show a potential point of contact? Was your bike close to a handicapped spot or handicap ramp? Old people are not the most perceptive group, maybe some old person knocked it over and didn't realize it. Are there security cameras in the area? Are the windows facing the spot? Maybe someone saw a couple of little kids palying on it, or a person in a scooter chair trying to get around it, or the mailman back into it.

I won't call in a claim. Bend the brake lever back (if possible) or look for a used/free one that will fit.

It's a terrible sinking feeling to find your bike on it's side...sorry for your situation...:(

I was at my buddy's apartment in Davis. The bike was parked in a non reserved spot in the front lot. It was dark there and its not really visible from the street because of a hedge. I don't think anyone would have seen it from anywhere but in the parking lot. There was no wind, the pavement didn't melt, not near handicapped, on side stand but it was pushed over on the other side.

I guess there's a chance a car could have not seen it if they were an idiot trying to go for the spot, but I think it's far more likely that some punk just pushed it over. Maybe he decided that spot was supposed to be reserved for him? I would have loved to catch him in the act. It's not fair that I have to deal with paying for this. I was trying to keep the bike like new. It's only at 2300 miles!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember once, I was inside an apt. clubhouse (Russian lesson) and I had parked my bike not too far but across the lane. You can imagine my surprise when my keypod alarm started vibrating. I bolted out quickly and---wouldn't you know it---a couple of Russian immigrant kids were near the bike with the alarm going off. An adult or two also turned to look in the direction. I have no doubt that one/both of the kids decided to hop on the bike and that's what set the alarm off. Frickin' kids! Good thing I quickly responded. I moved the bike to another location. Good thing it didn't fall over with the kids!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the damages you described, it sounds like it wasn't knocked over, but it was hit by another vehicle. It sounds like it hit the ground with pretty good amount of force, not from just tipping it over.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Seriously, who the hell does this? :Flip:
And of course I didn't get frame sliders yet.

Damage:

-Throttle side handle bar bent
-Handle bar slider probably needs replacing
-part of the lower engine case scraped
-footpeg might be bent
-footpeg slider broken

Sound like enough to justify a claim?

The way I read this, the engine case got some scratches, and the peg feeler got broken off the foot peg. The bar end weights, you can paint with pretty much any black paint to cover up the scratches..... If you have a bottle of touch up paint for the cases, I'd use the same on the bar end.

The biggest deal is the handlebars. If they are really bent, it's a matter of whether you can put them right, or if you have to replace.

If there is no damage to plastics (cracked parts, busted turn signals, etc) I wouldn't bother with a claim.... whatever your deductible is will be more than the price of the peg feeler and touch up paint.

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
The way I read this, the engine case got some scratches, and the peg feeler got broken off the foot peg. The bar end weights, you can paint with pretty much any black paint to cover up the scratches..... If you have a bottle of touch up paint for the cases, I'd use the same on the bar end.

The biggest deal is the handlebars. If they are really bent, it's a matter of whether you can put them right, or if you have to replace.

If there is no damage to plastics (cracked parts, busted turn signals, etc) I wouldn't bother with a claim.... whatever your deductible is will be more than the price of the peg feeler and touch up paint.

It is mostly scratches and such it's just really irritating because everything looked new still. Handlebar is priority. How much is a new one? I don't know how easily it can be bent back. Should I take the opportunity to get a flatter aftermarket bar?

Looking down at the top of the fork while riding it looks like more than the bar is bent, like the bar mount is bent but I looked it over and I couldn't be. It just seems skewed. There's no way the fork is bent I just can't tell what's off. I'm going to have a shop look it over.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It's possible the fork legs twisted a bit in the clamps, without any true damage having occurred..... If it rides in a straight line, with the bars slightly out of line, that's probably all it is. If you cannot see an obvious difference in the height of the ends of the grips compared to the triple tree, I'd suspect the fork needs to be aligned.

Pretty simple process, I've written out how to do it a number of times, here.

If the legs twisted in the clamps, a different bar won't help.

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
It's possible the fork legs twisted a bit in the clamps, without any true damage having occurred..... If it rides in a straight line, with the bars slightly out of line, that's probably all it is. If you cannot see an obvious difference in the height of the ends of the grips compared to the triple tree, I'd suspect the fork needs to be aligned.

Pretty simple process, I've written out how to do it a number of times, here.

If the legs twisted in the clamps, a different bar won't help.

Thanks for the tip. This is a good reason for me to have a shop check it.

Spike1423

Reaction score
Visit site
i feel ur pain, I had someone push my bike over at a mall. Have the same damage. Unless u have a really low deductable it's not worth the claim (less than $150). I ordered a new handlebar for 33 bucks, 22 for a new foot peg. Spent $70 with shipping at Power Motor Sports. U can reuse most of the parts on the foot pegs such as the rubber grip and metal stud. I'm gonna have to sand and paint the bar ends. I will sand the plastic on the mirrors and paint them as well.

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
i feel ur pain, I had someone push my bike over at a mall. Have the same damage. Unless u have a really low deductable it's not worth the claim (less than $150). I ordered a new handlebar for 33 bucks, 22 for a new foot peg. Spent $70 with shipping at Power Motor Sports. U can reuse most of the parts on the foot pegs such as the rubber grip and metal stud. I'm gonna have to sand and paint the bar ends. I will sand the plastic on the mirrors and paint them as well.

Were those Yamaha parts or aftermarket? I was wondering where to look for a handlebar and if I should take this opportunity get a wider/flatter one? And I have no clue about taking the controls off and whatnot...