Bike Theft Prevention Advice

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if there is something out there that's worth paying for with regards to bike theft deterrent? Now I know that with anything else if a thief wants something it will be taken no matter what, right? So at least I want to make it painfully difficult for them. Disk locks, fat hardened chains with matching locks, alarms, etc. are some of the stuff I've seen and so far I've been lucky without them. So what works best? Any advice?:confused:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
If I could get away with it I would fit something like this:

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc"]YouTube - South African Car Flamethrower[/ame]

I have ultimate regard for human life. But not if they try to steal something of mine

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
although not as effective as that alarm, i would say that one of the 2-way paging alarms is probably the best as well as some visual deterrent. You could also get some sort of quick release setup for the handlebars and take those with you???

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
What I would like as a post-theft device is a remote controlled rear brake with GPS. Wait until the thief is on the freeway at high speed and lock up the rear brake. Hard on the bike, but after a couple of those go off, people would be less inclined to steal a bike:D:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What I would like as a post-theft device is a remote controlled rear brake with GPS. Wait until the thief is on the freeway at high speed and lock up the rear brake. Hard on the bike, but after a couple of those go off, people would be less inclined to steal a bike:D:thumbup:

If this were the case i would say the front brake would be better to lock up, the rear brake is more controllable...

HandleOnTheRight

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Xena disc lock without a GPS transponder on it. It's got a 110db alarm and is bright red. The inductive circuit inside senses when the lock is in place and the system arms itself. The alarm is super loud but can be covered up with a hand and made quieter, which is the only drawback. However, if you lock to your rear brake, and someone sits on your bike or moves it, the motion sensors trigger the alarm. I'd rather the back brake than the front as a smart thief could easily bring a few tools and take the front tire off, whereas the rear would be a bit more difficult. In any case, I agree that the GPS brake locks are the way to go. My lock is fairly light, and can fit under my seat, a chain is heafty and a pain in the ass to put on and take off.

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have suggestions for a back bike lock with GPS? I have just a basic front lock cuz my bike sits in a secured area at work so i know no one will steal it but a good GPs bike lock is what im shopping around for.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Xena disc lock without a GPS transponder on it. It's got a 110db alarm and is bright red. The inductive circuit inside senses when the lock is in place and the system arms itself. The alarm is super loud but can be covered up with a hand and made quieter, which is the only drawback. However, if you lock to your rear brake, and someone sits on your bike or moves it, the motion sensors trigger the alarm. I'd rather the back brake than the front as a smart thief could easily bring a few tools and take the front tire off, whereas the rear would be a bit more difficult. In any case, I agree that the GPS brake locks are the way to go. My lock is fairly light, and can fit under my seat, a chain is heafty and a pain in the ass to put on and take off.

i only have 2 questions on this product:

1.) will the gps work while inside a van, trailer, garage, ect...
2.) what company will actually track down the bike? or is it an online deal where we get to try out vigilante justice?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if there is something out there that's worth paying for with regards to bike theft deterrent? Now I know that with anything else if a thief wants something it will be taken no matter what, right? So at least I want to make it painfully difficult for them. Disk locks, fat hardened chains with matching locks, alarms, etc. are some of the stuff I've seen and so far I've been lucky without them. So what works best? Any advice?:confused:

Take a look at this thread as well, it may be of help;

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/1010-security.html

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
My bikes are garage kept at home. At work I am able to park out in front of my clinic where my assistants can see it. If anyone starts snooping around it they tell me. I always lock the handle bars when parked. On cross country motorcycle trips I use a combination of locks. I use a brake disc lock (without alarm) and a heavy cable made for locking up things. I cable the bikes at the hotel to something that can't be moved (like a tree or stairs). I use a heavy case hardened padlock on the cable. At motels I always try to park the bikes as close to my room door/window as possible. I also stay at the motels in the nicer areas of town even if I have to pay a little more for the room. Even parking garages at nicer hotels I lock my bike to something. I usually tip the garage attendants to let me park my bikes close to where they can see them at all times. I don't use an alarm because when I used them in the past they would always go off for no reason. A lot of false alarms can really mess up your sleep and anger fellow motel sleepers!! Never park it hidden, like beside a building instead of in front. Try to park the bike where there are a lot of people like close to a business door. Bad guys don't like a lot of witness and they usually don't know which person may be the bikes owner.
While going to college, I worked part time as a locksmith, so security was and always has been on my mind.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Right on re the advice where to park. Motorcycle---and bicycle---parking spaces/racks should always be located in a "public" place where it is more apt for people to be around.