"Billy Bob" the one tooth sprocket!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, a few weeks back i had a mate ring me and tell me he needed to change his chain & sprockets...as his chain was slipping a bit!

Well when we got to doing the job, and took off the front sprocket cover, this is what we found! Just one full tooth left on it, the rest are just obliterated!

View attachment 39929

View attachment 39930

View attachment 39931

I gotta say, i have never seen a sprocket in such a drastic state, that was actually still sorta working....

It came off a MT-01, which is a torque monster, and i think it ended up looking like this, cause everytime the chain started slipping, he just tightened the chain a bit more, rather than replace the sprocket...rear sprocket that came off at the same time, does not look much better!

Anyway, just thought i would share...cause that sprocket is monumentally legendary, in 25 years of riding bikes, i aint ever seen a sprocket come off a bike looking like that! It's a champion effort!

:BLAA:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity , how many K's on the Empty01 :confused:

He's done about 60000km's on it now, and that just may well be the original front sprocket! I doubt it has been changed before...remember, this is from the same man that i bought a TRX850 off with 3 seized brake calipers, carbies only half connected to the engine, a cracked swingarm, a rear set hanging by one bolt, etc, etc....that he was still riding till the 100ml of oil in the motor couldnnt keep it running any longer!

:eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a guy ask me to tighten his chain on an R1 and the sprocket and chain were so bad I told him not to ride it till it was fixed but not as bad as that!

tooth.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a guy ask me to tighten his chain on an R1 and the sprocket and chain were so bad I told him not to ride it till it was fixed but not as bad as that!

tooth.jpg

Yeah well, this front sprocket was pretty bloody hard to get off, Rattle Gun would not work, ended up using a 3/4 inch drive wrench with a 4 foot bar inserted over the top of the wrench, me seated on the bike holding the brakes on, and Mikey on the end of the 4 foot bar....

Am guessing it was so god damn tight cause it had been under so much tension after being overtightened....

He is a lucky boy in reality, cause it could of got real ugly, if the chain snapped, bye bye engine cases, or similar...

Before Mikey and me intervened, he was having problems getting his hydraulic clutch cover back on, because the pin had pushed out, once the clutch lost pressure....he was going to use a hammer to get that clutch pin back in.....all it really needed, was for him to pull in the clutch lever at the bars....

I have now told him never to touch his bike, and that if anything ever goes wrong, just bring it to my joint.....its a $20000 bike!

:eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That MT-01 motor is an impact wrench on it's own!

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, a few weeks back i had a mate ring me and tell me he needed to change his chain & sprockets...as his chain was slipping a bit!

To coin a phrase, 'Well, there's your problem!'

I honestly surprises me how some people seem to have no mechanical sympathy!

I am fastidious about my bike (and indeed all my machinery), so it shocks me when I see things like this.

Reminds me of the guy at work who was scared about driving the 4x4 ute since it had been raining. I said, put it in 4wd and drive the (dirt) perimeter, it'll be fine.

I get to work the next day and find out he had done nearly 40kms in 4WD, ON THE BITUMEN!

I said, 'Didn't you feel it grab when you turned the corner?' to which he said 'Not really' (Not 'really'?!)

Suffice to say it had to go in and get the driveline serviced the following day, as there was a horrible grinding noise, and no drive from the rear in 2WD mode - and we lost it for a couple of weeks!

Lucky the OP came to you - and I'd recommend to him to heed your kind offer for servicing!

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW:eek:,never seen a front sprocket that bad.I've seen some bad rears but that front one takes the chockies & he's lucky you had a bopeep,could have been real $$$$$

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW:eek:,never seen a front sprocket that bad.I've seen some bad rears but that front one takes the chockies & he's lucky you had a bopeep,could have been real $$$$$

The only reason he fixed it i think, is because he couldnt tighten the chain anymore, and it was still slipping....LOL!

The clutch pin and the hammer idea was the best bit! That induced a fair amount of head shaking, and later....a severe "ribbing"....

:D

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He's done about 60000km's on it now, and that just may well be the original front sprocket! I doubt it has been changed before...

Pretty good sprocket life I say :thumbup: considering the rider abuse & the amount of torque the Empty01 has..... Still no excuse to let it go that far :shakehead:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty good sprocket life I say :thumbup: considering the rider abuse & the amount of torque the Empty01 has..... Still no excuse to let it go that far :shakehead:

Lol....pretty good! I would say phenomenol! Even if it should of been changed about 15000 km's ago!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well he got his monies worth out of it.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He definitly got his moneys worth out of the chain/sprockets... Jeez..

My luck, the chain would have gotten thrown thru the cases..

Yes, me too! I am fastidious beyond belief with my running gear! And I know that if I ever stop that for a moment...I will pay! Sucks don't it, the slack seem to get all the "breaks"! :BLAA:

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site

Some days...

No offense to your friend, more of a general statement,

I really can't believe some people can't grasp even the most basic mechanical principles, if you just stop, think and apply common sense, you can get yourself a pretty good idea of whats happening with most things mechanical :spank:

Congratulations to your friend though, that has got to be the worst sprocket I have ever seen :rockon:

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some days...

No offense to your friend, more of a general statement,

I really can't believe some people can't grasp even the most basic mechanical principles, if you just stop, think and apply common sense, you can get yourself a pretty good idea of whats happening with most things mechanical :spank:

Congratulations to your friend though, that has got to be the worst sprocket I have ever seen :rockon:

Yamahaboyz

Yeah he is a champion alright! I just restored one of his last neglected steeds, and that was a full restore! Everything was broken or worn to death!

Lovely guy though....just a cowboy when it comes to looking after stuff!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow....No need to replace the chain though, just flip it over and use the other side....:rolleyes: