BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
Are riding boots at all worth it? Other than ventilation, do they even really have any features over standard work boots? Is there any notable protection to be gained? I can't see making the investment considering the protection and functionality that my old hunting/working boots provide, other than maybe weather/climate protection, which I can just pass on.

If you do think that riding specific boots are worth the investment, please make a recommendation.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are specific designs that are suppose to help in an injury scenario. Some boots are very costly and I don't know that they give additional protection for the additional money. Some claim they help prevent twisting fracture. The design of the sole is different to get your foot past the peg. Your work boot won't help that and in a lot of cases work treads hang the foot up when you try to get it off quickly. Laces are never friendly for riding.

I wear Alpinestars SMX5 boots. I've had them for 6 or 7 years. :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to ask yourself the question, is it worth the risk for you to ride without motorcycle specific boots? Wearing the proper footwear can be the difference of breaking your ankle or tearing an Achilles versus a minor sprain. It can be the difference of having surgery or no surgery, or the difference of being on crutches or not.

I just met a rider at Cycle Gear a couple of weeks ago, and he just had surgery on his ankle. He was wearing his military boots which did not offer the protection as a real motorcycle boot. He honestly thinks that if he was wearing his normal riding boots, he would have walked away with a sprain instead of having surgery and being on crutches.

I like the fact that I can slip them on in less than 10 seconds, there are no laces, I just zip them up and I'm good to go. I prefer walking around in my motorcycle boots over sneakers or any other shoes since there are no laces. If I need to take out the trash, I just slip on my boots. I haven't purchased a pair of tennis shoes in over 7 years. But I have purchased multiple boots since they do wear out every 2-3 years.

P1020233_zps21d7318e.jpg

At the minimum, over the ankle footwear should be worn. Shoes are one of the first thing that goes flying off a rider once they hit the surface, this is why sturdy footwear is important otherwise you will be essentially crashing with no shoes. I will never get on a motorcycle and ride without proper motorcycle specific footwear. For me, it's not worth the risk.

Last edited:

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
So I take it that you DO find there to be added protection over normal old leather boots. Thanks for the input. I definitely don't feel comfortable riding in regular shoes though like you said. They come off too easily and don't pad the ankles like boots.