Bought a Buell Friday

IMO...bad idea. She should take a MSF class. Even with your expereince, taking it together will make it much more fun for her.

No she does not need the MSF class, she is going to handle it like she learned to swim. Just jump in and hope for the best, that is the most effective way to learn pretty much anything.

Magseal? Naykid? Is that you?

Yeah this thread is definitely a joke... You can buy a used Buell Blast for $2000 any day of the week, and with that comment above ^, it's pretty obvious that you're trolling!

Nice one though...

129048622840597614.jpg

No she does not need the MSF class, she is going to handle it like she learned to swim. Just jump in and hope for the best, that is the most effective way to learn pretty much anything.

If you are comparing swimming and riding a motorcycle, think again!

Lot more variables in riding a bike. Plus you are operating a machine. Won't go into all the details but there are probably at least 100 things that I know that could benefit both of you. Main thing, is she aware of all the consequences from riding a motorcycle or not having the appropriate saftey gear? Wasn't it you that you posted a picture of yourself riding withouut gloves?

New rider will most likely drop or crash their bike! That Buell looks like it's in fantastic condition, get all the dropping out of the way by using the training bikes that the MSF provides. I see it happen every week.

The biggest mistake I observe when others are learning how to ride a motorcycle on their own is that they are just learning to ride in a straight line and then they go tackle the street where they have to share the road. When over 2/3 of motorcycle crashes involves going around a corner.

Taking a MSF class will teach the basic fundamentals to get her started so that she has the minimal skills such as: Quick Stops/Emergency Braking, Swerving, Cornering, U-Turns using the proper techniques in a controlled environment.

Will you feel comfortable that she will now exactly what to do when an object suddently comes in front of her and she accidently grabs a handfull of the front brake and the tire starts to lock up? Something that could be prevented in the first place if she knew Where, How and What to look for in the first place since riding a bike is more mental than physical? Or will know how to properly corner? Taking the proper route, apex, slowing, LOOKING thru the turn?

The list goes on, it's just a lot better if she just learned how to do it first rather than just putting her out on the streets.

Just my opinion though, don't take it personally as you both can do anyway it you like. I know there are many folks on this forum who have done it both ways. But remember, it's best to learn something new the proper way so that no rider developes bad habits. Is she covering the front brake whlile she's riding? It's tough to change a golf swing once you've been golfing that way for years. But you can't get yourself killed from a bad golf swing. But you can riding a bike, but you can also reduce the risk if done properely.

She is lucky to have an experienced rider such as yourself to be able to use you as more of a guide when she is out on the streets. But actually taking upon yourself to teach her how to ride is jeopordizing her safety.

I come across many riders who have ridden without a license for decades each week in class, and they all said that they learned a lot. Even after all the miles they have already ridden. I had one rider who had ridden without a license for 50 years, and he admitted he leaned a few things.

One more thing, does she even have a motorcycle endorsement? Remember, for most states, a sucessful completion from a MSF class will automatically qualify for the graduate to receive their M Endorsement from the state without any further testing. We provide the written and skills evaluation. Plus, most insurance companies will provide up to a 30% dscount off their motorcycle insurance for taking the class. 15% discount from Cycle Gear, and other local discounts may apply.

Last edited:
LoL.. and, we're off!!!

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Deals Gap, so I'll have to subscribe to this so I can read it when I get home. LoL...

Lmao I am not trolling but I am poking fun at those making rude comments or incorrect assumptions about my purchase and her learning on the bike. Yes she took her MSF course, posted that in several threads and yes I paid around $2,000 including the gas/food etc to go up and back. :thumbup:

I wasn't trying to be mean, i was just joking around btw.

BTW, the video is from one of those ebay cheapo keychain cams.

Last edited:
So how much did you really pay for the bike?

Whoops, I see that you paid 2k for it.

Yeah it was $2k and it looks new and was garage kept. The guy i bought it off of said he bought it for his gf, she rode it up the driveway (had a big driveway) a couple of times and she dropped it and then never got back on it. She broke the lens on the front signal light but other than that no damage. He rode it around a little too (he had a garage full of bikes, think i counted 7 or 8). To make a long story short, they broke up, he was not going to give her the bike so he decided to sell it.

Once she gets the hang of riding we will look at getting her another bike but it will need lowered since she is short. I did a lot of research and this bike with the low seat (25.5") fit her perfectly and is light/cheap and 30ish hp which is plenty for her to learn on and it has enough power to do well on the highway.

Lmao I am not trolling but I am poking fun at those making rude comments or incorrect assumptions about my purchase and her learning on the bike. Yes she took her MSF course, posted that in several threads and yes I paid around $2,000 including the gas/food etc to go up and back. :thumbup:

I wasn't trying to be mean, i was just joking around btw.

BTW, the video is from one of those ebay cheapo keychain cams.

Well it is a public forum and sometimes you just have to be pretty thick skinned, as there will be times when you see posts that may strike to be rude/offensive, or could be intrerpreted the wrong way, with the overall intention to be good or as a joke, like you have just shown.

As Wavex have said during breakfast one morning, LOL... how someitimes you post something and it just starts to go downhill fast because people don't take critcism very well or misinterpret the comment.

Congratulations on your new purchase and go celebrate it with an Ice Cold Arnold Palmer Ice Tea and Lemonade.

"Man they're good. 99 cents, Not too many calories, not too much sugar really (more than I should have probably still but way better than a pop), low sodium, etc"

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/23770-roommate-rant.html

Last edited:
Well it is a public forum and sometimes you just have to be pretty thick skinned, as there will be times when you see posts that may strike to be rude/offensive, or could be intrerpreted the wrong way, with the overall intention to be good or as a joke, like you have just shown.

As Wavex have said during breakfast one morning, LOL... how someitimes you post something and it just starts to go downhill fast because people don't take critcism very well or misinterpret the comment.

Congratulations on your new purchase and go celebrate it with an Ice Cold Arnold Palmer Ice Tea and Lemonade.

"Man they're good. 99 cents, Not too many calories, not too much sugar really (more than I should have probably still but way better than a pop), low sodium, etc"

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/23770-roommate-rant.html

lol that is right, it is easy to take things the wrong way since i can be difficult to tell when someone is just messing with you.

i seen those the other day and thought about trying one. there is some brand of half/half tea lemonade i tried a month ago and it was terrible but it was a generic brand.

This thread was hilarious. As soon as he said $10k and someone questioned it, I started laughing. Thanks OP.

Grats on the Buell for the g/f, by the way.

so far it seems to be doing okay, she has dropped it a few times while sitting still but the bike took it well with only a few nicks on it. she did manage to break the weld on the muffler when it was dropped but we had it welded back and so far it is holding well.

i took off the buell decals on the tank and replaced them with the raised blue buell decals and bought some reflective blue wheels stripes to go with her blue leather joe rocket jacket i bought her. i am not sure what bike she could upgrade to later when she gets bored with this one since she is so short.

lol it must have been a big buzz on the buell forum because i had someone on a local site say they heard about it and wanted to know if it was true.

Back