Cageless living

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BRZ solution! This one's only at 7PSI and none of that silly Turbo Lag! Twin screw supercharger! :thumbup:

attachment.php

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We do get quite a bit of snow, but I don't care. BRZ is RWD too (thought it does have a mechanical LSD). I've driven the Miata.. awesomely fun! BUT.. you need to take the BRZ for a spin.. very similar, but tighter with angrier motor (at high RPM). :thumbup:

Both are alot of fun, I daily drive a second gen Miata, and my best friend (the one doing my huge trip with me) daily drives an FR-S (Scion badged BRZ). I have driven both alot, and enjoy both immensely. You really could not go wrong with either, for basically the same reasons, but the deciding factor for me was the convertible top. I have a hard top for it that I put on during the winter, but during the spring/summer/fall it is so nice to put the top down with all the wind. You have alot of the same being a part of the place you drive through feeling that you get on a motorcycle. Its the closest thing you can have to a motorcycle on four wheels.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Enlighten an ignorant American; does it actually rain HARD where you are in the UK? Or is it mostly drizzle?

Come to think of it I don't know how it rains in Jersey either, but I wonder if we're talking apples and oranges here.

Strong enough to get through my visor seal, and flooding up to my foot pegs occasionally.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BRZ solution! This one's only at 7PSI and none of that silly Turbo Lag! Twin screw supercharger! :thumbup:

53708d1402349353-cageless-living-brzsc-1-jpg

Loads of bolt-on power-bumps for BRZ. It doesn't need that much more.. just a hair. It's excellent in stock form.. just not gonna win any drag races.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both are alot of fun, I daily drive a second gen Miata, and my best friend (the one doing my huge trip with me) daily drives an FR-S (Scion badged BRZ). I have driven both alot, and enjoy both immensely. You really could not go wrong with either, for basically the same reasons, but the deciding factor for me was the convertible top. I have a hard top for it that I put on during the winter, but during the spring/summer/fall it is so nice to put the top down with all the wind. You have alot of the same being a part of the place you drive through feeling that you get on a motorcycle. Its the closest thing you can have to a motorcycle on four wheels.

Yeah would love that! However, BRZ does come with a bit more practicality. Rear seat folds flat, which actually makes for a huge trunk!

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah would love that! However, BRZ does come with a bit more practicality. Rear seat folds flat, which actually makes for a huge trunk!

True, this was viewed in the context of my wife's car. She drives a 2012 Honda Fit (Jazz for you Europeans, and its a hatchback for those non car people). So its pretty rare that I need more storage space and can't find a way to use her car for at least a little while.

You mentioned that you are married also, so consider it in light of occasionally swapping cars if you need to move significant cargo.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
True, this was viewed in the context of my wife's car. She drives a 2012 Honda Fit (Jazz for you Europeans, and its a hatchback for those non car people). So its pretty rare that I need more storage space and can't find a way to use her car for at least a little while.

You mentioned that you are married also, so consider it in light of occasionally swapping cars if you need to move significant cargo.

Yeah.. definitely have that option. Wife drives a Tucson (little SUV), so there's always that.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Eric ,

been careless oh oops carless for about 4 years now. The weather is the only downside. With a bit of careful time management it has worked ok so far..... 'cept for today when I would have been trying out the bike with the delkevics and I cant find a battery to fit because its a holiday.
GLW has said to tell her where she can pick one up for me in the car( which is very nice of her) otherwise I have a 1.5km walk with battery under arm.

As far as w/weather gear, I went with the BMW Motorrad jacket and pants.

they are the best I have come across so far although the jkt has a lining that sticks a bit to the leather jacket but it has a high collar and if used by itself a hood in the collar, 2 outside pockets and a few reflective panels. the pants are long in the leg and a narrow fit round the waist, but long zips on the lower leg and a reinfoced seat and inside leg protectors to avoid molten plastic from hot engines

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
My beloved Protege5 blew up, a bit over a month ago. Since then, I've been using my bike for everything.. every day commuting, running errands, going to the gym, joy riding..
Most of the time it's great, but there are days I wish I still had a car.
This morning for example: I've got a cold, rain is coming down hard, but I have to ride to work.. I know full well I'll be soaked by the time I get there (rain gear will keep me warm, but it cannot keep me dry in 1 hour of pouring rain). Adding insult to injury.. there's heavy traffic on the way in and having just gotten back from Europe, I'm extra ticked off about not being able to legally and safely lane-split.
(/rant)
I'll pick up another car, eventually. I've test-driven loads of cars and the only one I actually love is the BRZ, but it's somewhat pricey and has several known issues (albeit minor).
[MENTION=83]VEGASRIDER[/MENTION], props to you for staying on 2 wheels, 365.. it's definitely not for everyone.

sorry about your car. and 365 is not for everyone, agreed. some are more hearty then others so far as weather and what not, and for some a bike holds no real advantage over a car for commuting so why ride everyday. even i must say if i rode wide open highway with no traffic to consider most days and / or its freezing cold, raining, 110F, snowing and whatever the hell else....even if i love to ride i'd ride some days, some days not, and find free days with good weather i could. i'd have a "riding season," i suppose. but a car would be a nice option to have on a daily

but i live in sunny SoCal, lane split to my hearts desire, and arrive early to everywhere. its nice not being part of the conversation when folks are talking TRAFFIC. i never notice traffic except to pass it by

hope you find a car you like. lord knows cars are lost on me, now :thumbdown:

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry about your car. and 365 is not for everyone, agreed. some are more hearty then others so far as weather and what not, and for some a bike holds no real advantage over a car for commuting so why ride everyday. even i must say if i rode wide open highway with no traffic to consider most days and / or its freezing cold, raining, 110F, snowing and whatever the hell else....even if i love to ride i'd ride some days, some days not, and find free days with good weather i could. i'd have a "riding season," i suppose. but a car would be a nice option to have on a daily

but i live in sunny SoCal, lane split to my hearts desire, and arrive early to everywhere. its nice not being part of the conversation when folks are talking TRAFFIC. i never notice traffic except to pass it by

hope you find a car you like. lord knows cars are lost on me, now :thumbdown:

God what I'd give for the convenience/rush that filtering/lane-splitting must give :(

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah.. definitely have that option. Wife drives a Tucson (little SUV), so there's always that.

So technically it's not cageless living. Cageless living is having no access to a car, besides a rental with no valid car insurance. I'm unable to get car insurance because I have no car. Motorcycle different story, I'm able to ride any bike and I'm covered. But in your case Eric, and for many of you, this is pretty close. You are riding to places where you may have driven. Kind of takes Costco and Home Depot out of the equation.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Vegas rider doesn't have to deal with daily thunderstorms! Props to riding 24-7 on the east coast in spring! :thumbup:

U137P200T1D259213F10DT20090729051439.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Down in Vegas they call them flash floods. Ridden through one all the way home in first gear. I needed the torque to get me through the raging waters. My bike was more of a jet ski than a bike. The splash from the oncoming vehicle was inevitable, it was like getting hit by a gigantic wave on the beach, you're blinded for a good 2-3 seconds.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Down in Vegas they call them flash floods. Ridden through one all the way home in first gear. I needed the torque to get me through the raging waters. My bike was more of a jet ski than a bike. The splash from the oncoming vehicle was inevitable, it was like getting hit by a gigantic wave on the beach, you're blinded for a good 2-3 seconds.

I didn't mean to imply that you have never ridden in rain but Idaho and Nevada get about 100X less rain than we do. ;)

I'll be dodging thunderstorms on my way home. My weather radar app has saved me many times and I've had to change my departure time or route to avoid a monsoon.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't be too worried about the rain although they are torrential down pours to a point you can't see, it's the lighting. You see that car get hit while rolling down the highway?

Either way, living without a car will be difficult at first, but like everything else you get use to it. The rain, cold, heat, etc it does not stop you from riding, you just gear up and go. No debate whether I should or not. Yes your risk has gone up significantly, but that's your own decision.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had a cage for commuting since 2008 :eek: thats a LOT of wet commutes & as I have shared here at times, plenty of hail storms & 2 major flood events & I have enjoyed every single second :D :D.... BUT, this last 12 months, when it rains, I pinch the daughters car from the driveway & it has been fantastic LOL :thumbup: