Throttle cut at cruise in the wet on 2008 model.

Ugelvik

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I have a strange issue. I'll try to explain how it feels/what happens first:

I'm cruising at 84km/h on the speedo in sixth gear, just above 4k RPM. It's wet, the bike has been out all night in the rain (camping). While holding steady throttle I can sense something that feels like the fuel injection is cutting in and out and if I keep the throttle super steady at the exact same position it slowly loses revs (and speed) until it pretty much reached idle. I tried pulling in the clutch after letting it lose speed/rpm to around idle, this didn't change anything. While holding the clutch I slightly change position (1 degree or something?) of the throttle (from my original cruise-position) and it instantly jumps to 6-7k RPM. This cutting in and out kept happening all the time during this ride until I got to dry roads and had rode for a bit (bike looked dry on the outside at this point). Anyone have any clue what this might be?

Things I've done so far:
1) Checked the TPS readout on the dash right after this was happening, reads 16 at no throttle, 102 max. Tried to hold it steady at every value from 16 to 50 to see if it changed/jumped around, but it did not.
2) Flipped up the tank and looked at the ECU etc, everything looked dry (this is 8 hours after riding though), but dusty. No connectors seemed loose. No signs of water spilling around in that compartment to me.

I even have a fender extender to keep water from getting everywhere...

(Edit: changed point 1 to more accurately reflect what I did)

Ugelvik

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks, but I've seen those. The only "problem" I've seen is that it reaches 102 instead of 100 exactly (Never throttled that much before testing I think). Steady readings in diagnostics mode otherwise. What I'd assume would happen when I noticed the problem is that it would read unevenly or jump to 16 (or less). At least that's how the bike reacts.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen TPS pass the tests but they makes noise that the test does not show. The noise is something the ECU does not recognize and the ECU can output the wrong fuel resolution to the injectors. An oscilloscope would show the noise.
Does it idle normally? Does it pull when you open the throttle more than the failing position? :)

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I have a strange issue. I'll try to explain how it feels/what happens first:

I'm cruising at 84km/h on the speedo in sixth gear, just above 4k RPM. It's wet, the bike has been out all night in the rain (camping). While holding steady throttle I can sense something that feels like the fuel injection is cutting in and out and if I keep the throttle super steady at the exact same position it slowly loses revs (and speed) until it pretty much reached idle. I tried pulling in the clutch after letting it lose speed/rpm to around idle, this didn't change anything. While holding the clutch I slightly change position (1 degree or something?) of the throttle (from my original cruise-position) and it instantly jumps to 6-7k RPM. This cutting in and out kept happening all the time during this ride until I got to dry roads and had rode for a bit (bike looked dry on the outside at this point). Anyone have any clue what this might be?

Things I've done so far:
1) Checked the TPS readout on the dash right after this was happening, reads 16 at no throttle, 102 max. Tried to hold it steady at every value from 16 to 50 to see if it changed/jumped around, but it did not.
2) Flipped up the tank and looked at the ECU etc, everything looked dry (this is 8 hours after riding though), but dusty. No connectors seemed loose. No signs of water spilling around in that compartment to me.

I even have a fender extender to keep water from getting everywhere...

(Edit: changed point 1 to more accurately reflect what I did)

Hey dude, I had this problem recently and it turns out it was my fuel controller mapping. I could hold a steady speed at a certain point, and no matter what gear if I moved the throttle a bit more open it would sputter and start dying out on me. Moving it back a wee bit would stop it but I'd be going slower than I wanted, and opening it more would also fix it but then I'd be going faster than I want.

Do you have one installed? My TPS read fine exactly like yours with diagnostic and all that. Even if you don't have one (fuel controller) in which to throw a zero map onto, try unhooking your battery for a while (like 20 minutes) and letting the ECU reset. It'll relearn everything, and maybe break the bad habit. Check if you go hard through the gears to confirm a weird throttle position; I was having it where rolling onto the throttle in any gear, there was a certain point where it would start to sputter and die on me for a sec.

Last edited:

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not the issue but I'll throw in a comment. I had the same type of problem before. I was riding on the highway at a constant RPM and the bike would surge in RPM just how you are describing. The bike actually died on me and wouldnt restart for about 10 mins, then finally did. Eventually got the bike home and decided to charge the battery. That fixed my issue, and it never happened again. So just something else to check on besides what has been said.