Can we use LED bulbs?

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to get an LED bulb but then I remembered we have that adapter for H7 and the bulb will have a fan of some sort on them. If I'm thinking correctly we can't use LED headlight bulb? Maybe just go for dual headlights instead?
My mistake, forgetting the bulb itself is not plugged in the bikes harness with the LED

Last edited:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put two LEDs in... H4 and H7. My bike (when purchased) was already modded to use both headlights (unsure what method was used). I used two bulbs from here - H7 4000 lumen LED Headlight bulb - and both fit. I _did_ have to work on the (I think) H4, it was pretty tricky with regards to the metal retainer/clip - the other went it with no drama. You also need to modify the rubber boot - e.g. cut off the back to widen it and allow for exposure for the fan/shroud on the back of the bulb. For the most part, I'm quite pleased with the result. The amount of light it puts out is impressive - e.g. driving through the NJ Pine Barrens at night (no street lights), just illuminated the entire roadway. The only downside is I've had a little more trouble with aiming it... I still think it is a little high, and I've been lax on getting that dialed in. It is a little harder b/c the light diffuses some (e.g. blends so harder to tell 1 bulb from the other). If I did it again, I'd aim each bulb as I replaced it. Having said that, I'm happy with the results and have no intention of changing it - tweaking the aim a few times (until I get it right) is a very minor issue, given that I get so much more illumination as well as being more visible at night. Can provide pics if you want, but not sure it would be especially helpful.

Last edited:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, can't answer that - I did mine back in Feb/10 months ago and their model numbers have changed since then. My H7 was the "CIL-LED-H7 H7 3000 lumen LED Headlight bulb" and I think now it is a 4000 lumens? I would give it a shot, but any questions, they were decently responsive via email with any questions I had (Darryl). Keep in mind that they are not open on the wknd - if you want to work on this over a Sat/Sun, no one there to answer questions. PM me and I'll shoot over some of the email threads I had with them. I remember that one was easy to put in, the other required a little more patience.

Greg

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I shot them an email. I'm going to put it in Sat. I hate that it gets dark so early that I have to wait for the weekend to do anything. Thanks for the reply!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to get that bulb in, that fan is getting in the way. How did you get the clip over?

Honestly I don't exactly recall, but it took some finagling. From here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...lacement-bulbs-out-post622046.html#post622046

"Installation on the h7 was a little tricky, but do-able - it's not an exact-fit replacement, but pretty close. I had to 1) enlarge the rubber-boot circle in the middle, to make room for the LED fan housing/shroud (yes it has a cooling fan), and 2) pull the wire headlight-bulb-holder out and re-shape it a little, to account for the larger shroud/circumference, and to push the bulb a little further forward. Not awful in terms of modifications, but more than a 3 minute swap. "

DirtRider600

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I don't exactly recall, but it took some finagling. From here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...lacement-bulbs-out-post622046.html#post622046

"Installation on the h7 was a little tricky, but do-able - it's not an exact-fit replacement, but pretty close. I had to 1) enlarge the rubber-boot circle in the middle, to make room for the LED fan housing/shroud (yes it has a cooling fan), and 2) pull the wire headlight-bulb-holder out and re-shape it a little, to account for the larger shroud/circumference, and to push the bulb a little further forward. Not awful in terms of modifications, but more than a 3 minute swap. "

Hey man so your bike is working with the LED's in the dual headlight mod? I just piked up my FZ6 a few weeks back now and was planning on doing the dual headlight mod myself (the proper way) but I also wanted LED bulbs and couldn't find anything online stating whether it worked that way or not.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man so your bike is working with the LED's in the dual headlight mod? I just piked up my FZ6 a few weeks back now and was planning on doing the dual headlight mod myself (the proper way) but I also wanted LED bulbs and couldn't find anything online stating whether it worked that way or not.

Working with both bulbs LEDs, yeah - has been for several months (year? dunno). Now, the bike _came_ with the dual-headlight mod (previous owner did it, but I have not dug into how/what method)... so all I did is swap the bulbs out. I just tried one to start, but liked it well enough. I was concerned at first b/c I really don't care for that cold-blue LED hue, but these are not bad... definitely above 2700k (incandescent) though. Again, it's not a complete drop-in replacement (well, 1 bulb was, 1 took some finagling), and you need to cut/trim the end of the rubber boot to expose the LED fan shroud.. and the other thing is that it's been a little trickier to aim properly, but part of that might be my fault - I made a hash of it to start, but feel pretty good about it now, don't even give it a 2nd thought now. The brightness and volume of light is head and shoulders what I had previously. PM me if you want some pics etc.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I got the same brand as gnyce but different bulbs. I'll send you the links. The H7 is half of a kit for KLR..2nd gen bulb..very easy to put in. It has a spacer that made it very easy and no bending of retaining wire. KLR GEN 2/Versys/Ninja/Goldwing LED Headlight Bulb Kit KLR GEN 2/VERSYS/NINJA/GOLDWING LED HEADLIGHT BULB KIT. Email Greg and tell him you have a FZ6 and only need one bulb from this kit [email protected]

For the H4 7000 Lumen H4 LED Headlight Bulb I got this one. Only thing had to fiddle with is cutting the rubber boot a bit :)
Thanks Gnyce for letting me know about these bulbs!