Car hit while parked in front of my house

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I wonder if they could even use surveillance camera footage as evidence in something like this without taking it to court? Can you just show the officer the video and he can write it in his report?

I suppose that's a question worth asking, before I get serious about installing surveillance.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not surprised the police will not pursue but they should hand over the guy's registration and insurance details. From there you could make a claim with the guy's insurance of course.

Other thing that could be tried is print out a nice big photo of the damage to your car, another of his and the bag of broken bits. Knock on his door, say hi, how are you, and show him the 2 photos and bag- just ask if he'd like to settle the matter privately or go through insurance..

I had a hit and run damaging my yard, had video, got plate, obtained insurance info from cops, called the business owner, got paid cash same-day to settle since he didn't want his insurance to hear of it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not surprised the police will not pursue but they should hand over the guy's registration and insurance details. From there you could make a claim with the guy's insurance of course.

His info should be in the police report. Cop said 5-7 business days before it's ready.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
His info should be in the police report. Cop said 5-7 business days before it's ready.

Good deal. I was lucky to be able to get that info immediately. "Do you have a pen? Here are the owner's details. It's now an insurance matter. Good day."

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I am glad you found the (potential) vehicle.
I had some kid hit my dads car when I drove it to High school and when I found out who it was (he was on the wrestling team like I was) I made sure the coach knew he was my partner for the week ;) , I was a senior and he was a freshman) I TROLLED him, I beat the crap out of this poor freshman for a solid week before I made his parents fix the car. I rode his a$$ so hard I even went home tired, I had so much twisted fun wearing this kid out over the week, I wore myself thin making his life a living he!!.
I cannot stand people that dont fess up to their mistakes or oopses. I can understand that you messed up, but at leas have the ba!!s to tell someone.
My rental ended up being a Pontiac G6, which I had fun with lol.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Things might be looking up! Talked to one of my neighbors, yesterday (she lives across the street and 2 houses over). She heard the crash. She looked out the window and she described the car driving away which matches the one I know hit me.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Things might be looking up! Talked to one of my neighbors, yesterday (she lives across the street and 2 houses over). She heard the crash. She looked out the window and she described the car driving away which matches the one I know hit me.
It's great to hear that you might be able to sort it all out after all Eric :thumbup:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Good to hear!

One of the best security systems you can have is good neighbors.

Just be happy that we don't live in Texas, where 90 year old women who can barely see above the steering wheel drive in monstrous pick up trucks.

Being from Europe it always amazed me how lax the DMV in the States is in regards to monitoring and restricting driving licenses. Few months ago I renewed my DL for 10 years!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the crash but good to hear your neighbor might be able to help out.

Sadly that gentleman needs to be off the road before he injures/kills anyone, including himself. Hope this is a wake up call for the wife.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just talked to the officer who just talked to the witness. The witness told the officer she heard the crash, went upstairs and few minutes later looked out the window. She saw the car next to mine make a u-turn. She described the car which matched the car I found.

The pieces of that car were under mine, which officer matched up to the car and told me he was certain it came from that car.

All this and... the officer said he still could not definitely state that it was THAT car that hit mine.

Wow

-- oh and because he can't be certain it was that car that hit me, he cannot give me the other driver's information / insurance.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow....that really sucks and I feel your pain. 2 years ago I was driving along a 3 lane road, I'm in the middle lane and there's an elderly woman on my left. All the sudden I felt a bump....yeah, she drifted right into my lane and hit my rear drivers side bumper.
Long story short, only witness to accident: my daughter, who was following in her car...they said she would be biased, whatever.
The woman that hit me denied it till she was blue in the face, told the cops I was only out to get what I could outta her (LOL) and I ultimately got messed over.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Just talked to the officer who just talked to the witness. The witness told the officer she heard the crash, went upstairs and few minutes later looked out the window. She saw the car next to mine make a u-turn. She described the car which matched the car I found.

The pieces of that car were under mine, which officer matched up to the car and told me he was certain it came from that car.

All this and... the officer said he still could not definitely state that it was THAT car that hit mine.

Wow

-- oh and because he can't be certain it was that car that hit me, he cannot give me the other driver's information / insurance.

The police are requiring a burden of evidence beyond what is needed to convict in court to even give insurance info? I gave zero evidence to get insurance details from police for a hit-and-run van driver.

You could try going in to the police station to try to escalate or politely confront the driver while leaving out the unhelpful police situation.

Another thought is if you're on a local MC forum, if they have an LEO section you might find a sympathetic ear..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The police are requiring a burden of evidence beyond what is needed to convict in court to even give insurance info? I gave zero evidence to get insurance details from police for a hit-and-run van driver.

You could try going in to the police station to try to escalate or politely confront the driver while leaving out the unhelpful police situation.

Another thought is if you're on a local MC forum, if they have an LEO section you might find a sympathetic ear..

I hate to say this in public, but in this state I'm pretty sure you can march right down to the DMV, pay a fee and grab most of the pertinent info you need. Address is a given and make model, blah blah blah.... So, $25 or $500?

/R's in rant mode/

WTF happened to society that doing the RIGHT THING is the now the WRONG THING??? Call me biased as I can see some punks doing this but your elderly neighbors in your own hood? :spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:

FI - googles address, gets names. There will be names and ages. FI googles names of and ages of kin folk. FI licking stamps - (did you know that on .......) Potentially the ONLY reason this couple is fighting this is they don't want the license yanked WHEN CLEARLY that is what needs to happen. Either that or give the trash can a moving violation for jumping in front of the old fart! :eek:

/rant

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Wow

R does not like this post! What a bunch of BS....

Adding to it; been there and done that.
Someone jacked the tail gate from my truck. Strolled through the hood and found it. Called the cops. They said I had no proof it was mine. i.e. no DL # or vin on it. I said, but watch this; I have this plastic bed protector I removed (happened to be in the garage) that has random (say it again sloooooly) totally random holes drilled in it and I can demonstrate how ALL of the screw holes to fasten this protector to that gate WILL ALIGN, plus all the dents, and gouges align with that gate.
- It wasn't good enough for the LEO. I sent my insurance company picture of my truck w/the gate and a pic of it the new address.
- I did not pay out on that claim against my own ins co. Not sure what they did in the back ground, but I got a check for the replacement cost.

Sorry Bro! Good luck whatever comes of it!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Wow

Maybe you can give the plate number with the persons address your insurance company and let them persue legal recourse?

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I have always been in favor of a comprehensive driving test every so often, just to evaluate someone's ability, you know like an obstacle course with trash cans :D
But the truth is that more licensed drivers mean more cars and more revenue for everyone, including the insurance industry. IMO

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
wow, that sucks, eric. hopefully the insurance company will make some progress. i think at most you'd be able to prove the car - not sure if you'd be able to prove that he was the driver since he didn't admit to it and it sounds like there were no witnesses to him being the driver. i totally understand about fixes never being as good as from factory, so i hope the fix exceeds your expectations!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, that sucks, eric. hopefully the insurance company will make some progress. i think at most you'd be able to prove the car - not sure if you'd be able to prove that he was the driver since he didn't admit to it and it sounds like there were no witnesses to him being the driver. i totally understand about fixes never being as good as from factory, so i hope the fix exceeds your expectations!

Thanks, Ed. I sent all the info I had to my insurance on Monday (police report stating driver's name and the fact that parts of his car were found near mine, his address and his plate number.. as well as witness contact info).
Reminded them that the driver stated he had Alzheimer's. Wonder what his company will say when they find out.