Chain "cracking" under load/take-off

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys

Have a question for you all... I have a FZ6 '06 with 24.000 miles, I took a recent long trip, about 1000 miles, and now I'm noticing a slight cracking noise coming from the chain/sprocket area, I'm experiencing this only at take off, in first gear, its like crackers in my chain, after that the chain sounds normal, no cracking or anything, its just at take off... did a test to put some more load on the chain, while stopped, holding the front brake, releasing the clutch, it did put some more load on the chain and sounded pretty "cracky" but it managed to do a slight burnout without problems.

I inspected the chain, and it looks good, not damaged, its lubricated, it has the regular "dirt" on it, but dont think that some dust could cause this...

What should I do? just go safe and replace sprockets and chain all together? (looking at 520 kits already)

Is there a way I can wash the chain completely ?? what could I use to wash it ?? Kerosene ??

Hope someone can help with this.

PS: the sound is NON-EXISTANT even under load when the bike and chain are cold, once they pickup heat, the "cracking" begins.

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's the original chain, it's well due for a replacement, and this sounds just like a chain with stuck links. Go ahead and get you a good O-ring chain and new sprockets and get it swapped out. Cycle Gear has a deal on a chain tool for just $20 right now, so you can even do it yourself on the cheap.

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
Its not the original Chain, its either a DID or a RK chain, I saw it but dont really remember, how long will a chain last ?? 10k miles ?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not the original Chain, its either a DID or a RK chain, I saw it but dont really remember, how long will a chain last ?? 10k miles ?

Depends on how well you maintain it, riding conditions, etc... If the front sprocket is worn, it has the sharpest radius and would make more noise than the rear.

As stated above, I'd replace them all, its not worth throwing a chain thru the case. Keeping it CLEAN and LUBED will extend the life of the chain and sprockets...

BTW, I would have lubed that chain at least once or twice in that 1000 miles, more so if I hit rain...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would for just the sake of safety, right now, pull the front sprocket cover. There is as with all of these bikes, got to be a load of grunge built up in there. You visibly inspect and make sure the sprocket is secure and clean all that grunge out use a chop stick as a tool and scrape all that you can off that area and then use kerosene or a chain cleaner and clean and lube. See if that sound goes away. Bet the leading edge coming off the sprocket is hitting the build up in there. Check your chain tension. :D

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on new chain n cogs, both cogs.

you can look at it (warm) and see if any of the links are sticking or resistive to change. also, pull from the rear of the rear cog and see how much slack there is between the chain and the cog. i'll bet you see a bunch.

ALIGNMENT!!!

the chain could be fine, and the rear wheel out of alignment. that will make all kinds of crappy sounds. there are threads everywhere about the 'string thing' method of aligning the rear wheel, but it always stirs up controversy with folks that like their swing arm hashmarks.

check for kinky links, alignment, and wear on the rear. already mentioned the front cog checkout, good idea.

:)

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for motogiro:thumbup: i was working on the bike with the center stand down and when i rolled off it threw all kinds of crap at the chain. Of- course:rolleyes: it all got flung at the inside of the sprx cover. Good luck

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
First thing i would do is loosten the back, and thoroughly wash the chain with parafin .. i think you guys call it kerosene? NOT petrol.
Work it with your fingers making sure each link rotates smoothly. Allow to dry, refit, lubricate. That alone SHOULD remove any rattling.

Also, make sure your front sprocket is in good condition, being hidden, you kind of forget it, but it wears a LOT faster than the back sprocket.

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after taking the back wheel off the bike and realigning it, cleaning the chain and re-lubricating it the "cracking" was reduced greatly.

The front sprocket showed signs of wear, not a lot, but its worn a bit...

The cracking is still there, when the engine is hot and the chain under load, it "cracks" slightly, i'm thinking of going with one of those "520 conversion kits" from ebay they come with both sprockets and chain for about 140 dollars, are those kits any good??? Or should I just get the stock parts???

Any sugestion will be appreciated ;)

P407C

Reaction score
Visit site
My standard set lasted 12000km (7500miles). :confused:

So i looked on the internet to compare other brands and prices.
The sets on ebay are cheap but how long will they last???

I went to my local dealer and bought a Tsubaki set.

Tsubaki Road Series
Sigma ORS
Low maintenance
As this O-ring chain is manufactured with high technology and based on long experience, we bring you a chain that simply has no equal. This heavy duty chain is ideal for the current generation of Motor Bikes with high power rating. When this chain reaches the operational temperature it is running smoothly and has less articulation friction.

It comes in a set with the sprockets. Normally 16-46 but i went for a 15-46 in sprocket size.
I payed about 230 euro ( 292usd)

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
520 kits help reduce weight, but they also reduce the bearing surface so they wear out a bit quicker. If you can get stock size, I'd do it, but there's no compelling reason to go 520 on the street.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on checking the alignment of the chain. An easy way to do this is to lay a straight edge on the bottom of the rear sprocket and check it against the inside bottom of the roller part of the chain. With the straight edge flat against the sprocket surface, the edge should follow the inside bottom line all the way down the chain (it's hard to describe)

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
well guys, after doing lots of work on the bike, including some heavy cleaning and lubrication of the rear wheel, etc, the problem was alignment... I've learned my lesson, from now on, I'll always check the correct alignment of the wheel before I set out.

Thanks for all the advise!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am having exactly the same noise problem on my bike right now. Mine is on pull off, up to about 40km/h and only when under load. I suppose after 50,000km the originals need replacing by now :)

I read a lot about 520 conversions, what size IS the stock DID50V4-118LE chain? Can't find it anywhere online.

Edit: I discovered in an old thread from 2008 it is 530.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced my chain at 28,000 miles or so. The front sprocket was worn as was the rear but didn't think it was too bad. Bought a DID 530 chain with a SuperSprox rear and 15 tooth front from SprocketCenter - the kit was less than some places want for the DID chain. I used a stock Yamaha front sprocket 16 tooth and kept the 15 for future (warm weather) use. The chain is 118 links and they sent the correct length so I did not have to shorten it. A lot of the chains I saw online were 120 links and would need two links removed (not a difficult task). Talked with the folks at SprockedCenter and they thought on the FZ6 a 520 would last as well as a 530. If I had it to do again I would probably go with the 520. With the new chain the bike rode and shifted much better - must be cause it looked so good with the gold chain and the gold sprocket. :)

+1 on what others have said about alignment. I really like the 2007 swingarm cause it is so easy to adjust the tension and alignment.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this morning I decided to give the chain a clean and lube and double check the alignment before spending a fortune.

The original sprockets don't look too bad after 51,084 km :)

front600x450.jpg

rear600x450.jpg

I gave the chain a good soaking in paraffin and a good clean, after which I reassembled everything and have left it to dry out properly before lubing, so hopefully I saved myself some money! I noticed after I put it back together and spun the rear that there were no stiff links so it looks good.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Very useful info here!!!
I started feeling/hearing this same thing about a week (or two) ago.
Initially I lubed the chain and it seems to be ok now.

After reading different posts here I went to take a closer look at the sprockets on my bike, which I think don't look that bad. I removed the cover of the front sprocket ... So the chain (and sprockets are due for a nice clean up.
I'm around 18,000 miles now so let's see how far this sale chain and sprockets will last.

Nice job Andz!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy to report that the cleaning, alignment and lubrication has solved the problem, the noise is completely gone :thumbup:

Question: what was your cleaning method, interval between cleaning and lube, and what products have you been using on it?

IMO - it sounds like it went dry due to lack of lube. Also, do you ride in the rain and if so, how much and do you lube the chain more often after getting it wet?