FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Ignition coils

+5 and that is a good point.

If either the ecu or immobilizer fail either can be replaced and you re-register red and standard keys. To your point, the FSM does not suggest used parts. Because either can be replaced independent of the other, if the proper steps are followed, it seems possible that you may be ok.

The heavy hitter is the switch. If the switch containing the key-chip reader dies you replace everything!!
3 keys, immobilizer, ecu, main switch, key locks....

That said it also implies Yamaha has the ability to talk to system and correct it. But its very likely not all shops have this hardware.

Talking to Yamaha is the key. Anyone in the EU willing to talk to the shop and ask if A) used ecu can be used. B) Yamaha can clear codes so it accepts replacment ecu?

It says you can also de-register a lost key making it inactive. Must have red key.

EDIT: wild guess here....
Perhaps there is bi-directional communication of the ecu, immobilizer, and chip key reader and if the ecu or immobilizer recognize the red key all is well. If either one dies, it looks to the other for approval (meaning key registry is stored in both components) as we know that key and will accept the registration process. But it may only work with a new parts??? Who knows!
Again, if one is alive (ecu or immobilizer) and recognizes the key, it tells the other to accept the process. This is possible.
Last thing, if all three keys are lost ALL parts must be replaced just like if the switch fails.

Ask the fleebay seller. If they sell them solo without **everything else** they must usable or they will be cheap as the ecu alone would be junk if its rejected by the bike. Well unless Yamaha or someone else can clear it.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

i have the red key...i will look on ebay for a used ECU.

Don't pay to much for it. There is a level of risk that it can not be paired to your bike.

If you get it, I'll pdf the steps and email you.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site

Finding a used S2 US ecu would be more safe and cheaper, i think.

Final, what do you think? It should be simply same without immo.
We can compare diagrams for similarity also

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If theft is not an issue, it is much less risk and it is an option.

Gramwam

Reaction score
Visit site

Morning Final and a belated merry xmas.

I have been away but I found something interesting. I was sent an 09 ignition coil #1 and #4, but when I looked at my broken one it has a different part number on it, as in 5VX-00-J0383, being an 2006 model part. Mine is an 07, very odd as its a part from new.

Am I clutching at straws or would it work if i fitted the 06 coil again?

Still a dunce

Graham.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Graham,
Not a dunce, just not educated in this realm. The slight difference would not keep it from running but because one coil is firing two cylinders it is important that the two coils match each other well so it does not induce any variance as to when the spark arrives.

It would be best if they were matched but you have bigger issues.

You need an ECU.
What we don't know is if a used ECU will accept your red key. I have a strong hunch it will but as Fazil pointed out our service manual assumes repairs are made by Yamaha using new parts.

Gramwam

Reaction score
Visit site

Evening Final,

I have borrowed a multimeter and am going to quickly check that the coil I got actually works, as it was off a used bike, check the spark caps and finally the ECU.If it is definitley the ecu then I have one I can buy in the UK for £260, includes all I need including 2 chipped keys. I need a bike for the Island as my road is 15 miles of singletrack with passing places,some tourists cannot drive here!

I am going to google how to check the ECU and how to fit a new ignition system, learning slowly but am getting there. Love my FZ6, she has to live.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

How to test the ECU:
Disconnect Orange and Grey coil wires from the coils.
With meter set to OHMs connect one test lead to the battery Ground cable that is connected to the bikes chassis.
Connect the other test lead to the ORANGE lead at the coil. Read value. It should read infinite or >100K ohms. What does it report?
Connect the other test lead to the GREY lead at the coil. Read value. It should read infinite or >100K ohms. What does it report? But your Cylinder 1&4 are bad so I suspect it will report <5.0 Ohms. Which is a dead short and means the ECU is damaged.

That said, we have to eliminate the bikes harness from the equation.
Disconnect the battery.
Look at the WIRES into the ECU. Notice the outer wires are Orange and Grey. NOTICE that left of the orange wire is a large Black wire 5 pins over.
Unbolt the ECU and disconnect the harness from the ECU.
Looking into the ECU pins Place one test lead on the top right Pin #1 (grey) and the other lead on pin #5 (where the black ground wire was). Meter set to ohms, read the meter. It should read Infinite or high resistance like >100K ohms. But my guess is it reads a dead short or Zero Ohms. But it could read 50 to 100 ohms which is still BAD.
Repeat using Pin #5 (where the black ground wire goes) and Pin#18, the where the Orange wire Goes. It should read Infinite or high resistance like >100K ohms.

If all of this is true the ECU is damaged.

METER SETUP:
Set to Ohms.
Set your meter to AUTO and OHMs if it has that function. Look at the symbols and make certain the leads are in the proper holes for the test being done.
- Do NOT measure battery voltage when set to ohms or the meter may be damaged!

If meter does not have an auto-range function, set it to the lowest setting like 10 to 20 ohms.
When set to ohms and you touch the leads together to conduct, this represents a SHORT or ZERO ohms. You meter should read the resistance of the the test leads. Like 1 ohm or less.

For kicks measure a few incandescent lamps. The ohms will be low like less than 10ohms.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Love my FZ6, she has to live.

Good desicion. Good luck about the lock set and ecu.
As i mentioned before, may be buying a used US ecu would be much more affordable. And get rid of the immo.

Gramwam

Reaction score
Visit site

Hi Final.

I have just removed my airbox again and noticed a hole in the hose of a throttle body....there are 4 small hoses that are capped at the end. Is this in anyway a factor?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Hi Final.

I have just removed my airbox again and noticed a hole in the hose of a throttle body....there are 4 small hoses that are capped at the end. Is this in anyway a factor?
Good find! There are 4 hoses that are used for throttle body synchronization. They are normally plugged but unplugged and attached to gauges to synch the throttles bodies. If you have a hole in one you'll want to replace/repair the hose and when you get the bike running again you'll need to do a throttle body synch.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

It certainly doesn't explain the error code. So, no, it is not likely a factor except at idle...

Take a look at this.
The red are the sync tubes Cliff mentioned which should all be plugged. All others should be connected as shown and leak free.
attachment.php

Gramwam

Reaction score
Visit site

Happy new year all,

It's defo the ECU, have found a company online that provide Virgin ECUs for my bike for @£170.
Have emailed them and just awaiting a reply and even I can take out two Allen key bolts to change it.

Cannot find the throttle sync hose to buy online, may just cut it by the hole and refit it, the damage is right by the connection.

Will update regarding the ecu actually working, thank you again for all the help.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Happy new year all,

It's defo the ECU, have found a company online that provide Virgin ECUs for my bike for @£170.
Have emailed them and just awaiting a reply and even I can take out two Allen key bolts to change it.

Cannot find the throttle sync hose to buy online, may just cut it by the hole and refit it, the damage is right by the connection.

Will update regarding the ecu actually working, thank you again for all the help.
Do you have the address for the company with the ECU's please. I am looking for a new one.