Clutch dragging

billnit

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Had my 2004 FZ6 for a week now and noticing that there's quite a bit of clutch drag.

On the centre stand the bike stalls when put in 1st with the clutch in. Not too bad when engaging first when riding, but the bike does want to pull forward. Can be a bit scary at junctions when stopping and the bike wants to carry on!

I've adjusted the cable as far as it will go, but still no difference.

Read elsewhere that change of oil can help with noisy and harsh gearchange? Would this be worth a try? Checked the level and noticed that it is quite high? Would this cause problem?

Maybe a new clutch cable if this one is stretched as no more adjustment to play with...

Bike has done 20k miles and serviced regularly as far as i know.

Any suggestions?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There are multiple adjustment points for the clutch... you are (hopefully) just past the amount that can be adjusted at the lever end.

At the motor end, there should be another adjuster. Reset the upper end one to mid range, and then try and take up the difference at the motor end adjuster.

20K miles on the clutch should not be too many miles.... I've got 23K on mine, and it's okay so far. Depends on how harsh the last owner was -- but abuse usually shows up as slipping, not grabbiness.

An engine oil change is never a bad idea, especially if you don't know when it was done last.

Daryldaddy

Elite Member
Reaction score
central BC / Canada...on beautifull Quesnel lake
Visit site
I agree 100% with RJ2112.......but in the past I have seen warped intermediate plates ( bettween the friction plates in the clutch basket ) this caused from overheating ,such as excessive clutch slipping ,by way of no free play or operating conditions, this condition will give you clutch dragging regardless of cable settings....hopefully you just have a adjustment problem...Daryl

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are two adjusters for the cable. One is at the lever, the second is mid cable, inside the frame(by the gas tank, LS), NOT at the engine end..... This adjuster is a PIA to get to. When the cable stretches out alot, you can R/R the airbox to get to out and adjust it out....

I would clean/lube the clutch cable first before anything. If there's a lot of miles on the cable (and it hasn't been maintained)it may be worth while to replace it.

If you remove your oil filler cap, look in the hole, you'll see the clutch basket. With that open(NOT RUNNING), pull the clutch lever in. You should see movement at the clutch hub (to the right as it disengages). If there's no movement, your cable is not good....

As stated above warped clutch plates (from abuse) will also cause dragging.

Scott

billnit

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for response.

Unfortunately the cable is at maximum adjustment (lever and engine end). BTW - who decided to put that adjuster there!? Very tight between the airbox and frame!

I will have a look in the oil filler cap later as suggested as well as changing the oil over the next few days...

Assuming its none of the above and requires new plates, how much of a pain to do this is it? I take it its an engine in job?

Is it worth replacing friction and intermediate plates all together?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your cable is adjusted out all the way and you still don't have the correct adjustment, you need to replace the cable. The cable may be stretched out and is NOT separating the clutch plates causing the drag...

If your mecanically inclined the clutch is not that hard to do. You'll need a new cutch cover gasket, friction plates, possibly steel plates (if overheated/warped and possibly springs(if out of spec). Just pay close attention as to how the plates come out....

You can download a shop manual from this site and see all the details, how its done specifically....

The clutch in most yamaha's hold up pretty well, I'd pay close attention to the cable as that would more likely be your problem..

Scott

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
If the clutch is dragging, then the clutch plates are not the problem. Worn clutch plates don't drag, they slip.

The cable is probably the issue.

Just to be sure, you are tightening the cable to fix the problem, not loosening it, right? If you have too much free play in the cable, the clutch will drag just like what you're describing.

(Sometimes you have to ask the dumb questions first.)

Fred