Cold start Then Redline

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So im a proud own of a new R6 as of 3 months ago.:rockon: My Girlfriends family came over to visit a few days ago and wanted to check out the new exhaust I put on it. No problem Ill fire it right up. After about 30 seconds of cold Idle one decides to redline it twice real quick.:mad: I was so mad. They should know better. They are bike owners to. What can happen to the engine when this is done. How bad is this.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're in Texas.. a *cold* start is never that cold :D

at least it idles for 30 seconds. I say if idle had settled before the engine was revved, there's nothing to worry about.
Doing this sort of thing repeatedly may cause premature wear, but just once.. no biggie.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Eric, it's probably not a huge deal this one time. If you pushed on a cold engine regularly, you certainly would do some damage over time, but not just this once. Even so, whichever one of your buddies/family did that needs a good slap across the face.:BLAA:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Man thats annoying. This reminds me something. I was at the laguna seca with a friend few years ago. We were attending the night events after the races. As we were walking down this street, we saw a huge group of D-Bags lined up at the curb with their hayabusas etc. So we started talking ****, they couldnt hear us but one of them saw us look in that direction so he went ahead and fired up his gixxer and as soon as the engine came on he started redlining it like crazy for a good 4-5 seconds. I wished they high-fived after that but it didnt happen :rof:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably no harm as stated, but if that was mine, your probably getting decked right then and there, family, friend or foe....I let my cousin try out my brand new 3 day old 1986 gsxr750 which he promptly dumped...Also a "friend" once wanted to check out my brand new $1800.00 Carvin guitar then proceeded to bend the neck to see if the tone variation was similar to his..I was a little hot to say the least!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree should be fine. A cold start in 80-110 degree weather would get the oil system up to full pressure in 10 seconds easily. I would imagine it blew a nice puff of black smoke as the engine is running rich until it gets up to operating temperature.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the ECM would let the engine harm itself after a 30 second warmup in the Summer time.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Are they HD riders?

Don't rev my bike till at least 2 bars on the temp gauge (2004), probably didn't hurt it though. I for sure would not let them ride it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on it and do YOU and/or have you ever redlined it?

3 months old w/ 400 miles (just throwing out a #) and lets say OP never takes it over 8k. Not cool and it could break rings, but its not likely too. Yama'rs build process is good but the cold oil and tight clearances could scuff pistons and reduce the engines life span. Again, not likely but possible.

Words would fly and he'd owe me night out for that one. . . d/a!