coming to america

14 Days in LA? Personally, that's too much time, I would shorten up a few of those days and spend more time in San Diego. or possibly up north or even Yosimite Nat'l Park.

I will let the Southern California members chime in on this.

As far as not renting a car, it's also a matter of convenience. I just don't know how you would get around Southern California without a car spending that much time. I think it will cost you more by not having your own transport. Plus flying with all that luggage is a pain in the ass. Just easier to drive, plus you take in so much more scenery. I imagine you will need to get your clothes cleaned, and sending them out from the hotel will cost you dearly. Best to do it yourself which is easy to do as self service laundry are abundant in the states or get together with another forum member and do it at their place.

You could get away without a car here in Vegas. So even if you choose to fly from LA to Vegas, it won't be too bad. It's about a 4-5 hr drive from LA to Vegas. A 45 minute flight if you fly.

About a 6-6.5 hr drive to Vegas from San Diego, one hr flight if you fly.

The roads are not that difficult, even if we drive on the wrong side of the road. Plus these days, you can get a car with GPS.

Car rental at the moment seems a waste of money, and the girlfriend has said she wont take any poop from me stressing whilediving on the wrong side of the road in a way bussier city than here. First 7 days up in hollywood second 7 days down in ahahiem, lots to do from both bases, but trying to shave time so can also do s/d, we have already gone over our planned time by a couple. Vegas ive said one day for south of strip one day north of strip one day hoover and bum, one day crand caynon and bum,and 1 to do what ever. also need to take travel between into account. Im really trying to squeeze down south in believe me.

7 days in Hollywood? What for? Hollywood is dirty and lame and there's nothing to do except checking Hollywood Blvd and the Chinese theater... that can be done in about 3 hours total. Don't do 7days there!!!

7 days in Anaheim?? What for? There's nothing in Anaheim except for Disneyland! 3 days max is enough if you want to do EVERY single ride in both parks...

+1 on what Vegas says: you NEED a car... it's not like you have a choice here... LA without a car = can't do ANYTHING.

What are the dates of your trip? Landing where, and leaving from where? Let me know and I'll give you the broken down trip itinerary I would recommend...

I'm going to try and hook him up here if he gets to SD. He's gotta go on some rides here!

Cliff

Cliff, you should take him where you took your son. That was an awesome video, and looked like a great place to ride!! (Palomar?)

I wish I could have taken you to Newcomb's ranch...

but I'll take you to the Rock Store if you're interested. You might get to meet Jay Leno there: pic is Spamthefood and my gf at Rock Store:
5612_1120852819390_1169137868_30332599_2155148_n.jpg

Cliff, you should take him where you took your son. That was an awesome video, and looked like a great place to ride!! (Palomar?)

Thank you Elizabeth! Yes,(Palomar) exactly what I had in mind! There are a lot of great rides here with something for every one. I'm thinking I can borrow my friends Ducati, the one Jay rode, hook up the GoPro cam, Aussiejules can ride my Faster Blue One and we can record some memories!:rockon:

Cliff

I wish I could have taken you to Newcomb's ranch...

but I'll take you to the Rock Store if you're interested. You might get to meet Jay Leno there: pic is Spamthefood and my gf at Rock Store:
5612_1120852819390_1169137868_30332599_2155148_n.jpg

Jay is such a cool guy! And! he understands why we ride....

Cliff

you NEED a car... it's not like you have a choice here... LA without a car = can't do ANYTHING.

QUOTE]

LOL! Hollywood is also Universal Studio's. That's an all day thing. I've done so many shows at Universal during my glory days.

True... there's Universal Studios, there's the Getty Museum, there's downtown, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive...etc... but that's not a reason to "stay" in Hollywood! :)

You could stay in Belmont Shore, Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, etc etc and just drive up to Universal for the day... staying in Hollywood for 7 days sounds like torture to me!! :)

True... there's Universal Studios, there's the Getty Museum, there's downtown, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive...etc... but that's not a reason to "stay" in Hollywood! :)

You could stay in Belmont Shore, Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, etc etc and just drive up to Universal for the day... staying in Hollywood for 7 days sounds like torture to me!! :)

Well he's half way across the globe. Help 'em out with places to stay, listing the areas are great but also recommend some nice places to stay. The Ritz, Motel 6, etc. (Don't stay at Motel 6)

I listed about 10-12 different properties here in Vegas and gave them anywhere from a 3 to 5 star ratings with the pro's and con's. There are no 2 star hotels here in Vegas. Maybe you Southern California members could do the same.

Here's a start. I always liked the Marriott Hotel in San Diego along the Marina or the Coronada, which I think is now a Marriott as well. Expensive, but very nice. Great location, with great views.

If he lets me know the dates of his arrival along with what airport he is arriving at and which one he leaves from, I will provide a day-by-day agenda, including recommendations about where to stay and what to do.

I have 3 or 4 "tours" (depending on how much time, $$, and willingness to move around you have) ready to go that I had compiled for all the peeps that come visit me from Europe... they all call me the Cali Tour Guide :D

I can do the following loop in one day driving with my eyes closed (done it so many times between friends, family, customers...) Long Beach => Venice Beach => Santa Monica => Sunset Blvd => Bel Air => Beverly Hills => Rodeo Drive => Hollywood Blvd + Chinese Theater + Hollywood sign on the hill => Long Beach....

For stuff in Hawaii, it kind of depends on how far you want to roam. Waikiki has a lot of great places to eat and kicking back and relaxing on the beach is pretty much mandatory, however it is geared toward tourists and the prices show it. Hitting Chinatown and downtown Honolulu is worth it for the food and more reasonable prices and it isn't difficult to get to depending on where you are staying. The Ward center has some great little food joints tucked away in it that should be hit. The Yardhouse in Waikiki for beers (they have over 100 on tap) and decent food and you must hit Egg 'N Things for breakfast at least once. Here is a useful site for finding things in Honolulu Metromix Honolulu | Your Honolulu Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide

I know there are places to rent scooters but not sure about motorcycle. Unless you plan on driving around the island, there really isn't much of a need for a car here. Waikiki is easily walkable and there are plenty of taxi and shuttles to get you wherever else you might want to go. Hope that helps. If you have specific questions or things you would like input on, feel free to ask. Let me know what dates you plan to be here and I will see what else I can dig up.

Cheers!

Hate to say it but the places you are going are probably the "least of what America is". Meaning, las vegas is fake, as is LA and Hawaii might as well be another country. No doubt that you should show your family these places, but with that being said, there are MUCH, MUCH better parts of the country to visit. At least while in Cali, visit Yosemite NP, also google route 66....

Last edited:
Hate to say it but the places you are going are probably the "least of what America is". Meaning, las vegas is fake, as is LA and Hawaii might as well be another country. No doubt that you should show your family these places, but with that being said, there are MUCH, MUCH better parts of the country to visit. At least while in Cali, visit Yosemite NP, also google route 66....

I understand what your saying but I don't think these places are not part of my great country. They are a valid part of our worldly culture. So are the inhabitants. It can take a long time to experience what a place is really like. The positive and negative. Sometimes years and sometimes the time it takes to open your eyes and heart. The experience and hospitality we give others is really important. The people that receive the experience and hospitality are really important. I agree that all the places you suggest are awesome places to visit but they may be on another trip.

Oh yeah on other great things here in the US is that soft shell blueclaw crab, batter fried in between a real kaiser roll w/ tartar sauce and the fixxins. That would be in your neck of the woods! Yeah! :rockon:

Last edited:

There is no such thing as "Fake", Vegas is one of the most popular destination's in the world. People come here to see shows, gamble and drink for free, enjoy the great weather and great food. Remember, Vegas is one of the major gateways to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley. Nothing fake about that.

America is so large, that it's almost impossible to see everything on a single trip. It's true visiting parts of the west coast and not exploring the other parts of America will definatley create a void. I had suggested renting a car would be beneficial, as you are able to absorb so much more of the country by driving. I had also recommended Yosimite as well.

But Vegas, LA and Hawaii is actually more of America than you think just because it's well known around the globe and each location serves what it is intended to do. What are tourists suppose to do, come to America and say they visited Newark De, Tyler Tx, Minot ND? Not that there is nothing wrong with those places, because I've been there but it's still America, but not just very well known.

Back