coolant overflow when riding?

studerman1

Reaction score
Visit site
I went out for a short cruse today, and when I cam back to my garage I noticed what looked like coolant leaking form the cap.
when cold the radiator is filled to the cap. I little to much I feel.
when the bike got hot it leaked through the cap
is it just as simple as take some coolant out or is there a larger problem?

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
There should be no way it is leaking from the cap unless the cap isn't on correctly.

The cap should be carefully placed on the radiator where the tabs line up, and then turned clockwise a 1/4 of a turn until it stops. A stopper and bolt should be present to keep the cap from turning itself off. 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W Yamaha Motorcycle RADIATOR HOSE Diagram and Parts Part: #22

All overflow I believe should be coming out of the reserve tank behind the headers. (Or under the tank if you have a 2004-2006 FZ6)

I would keep an eye on the coolant temperature level that is indicated on your dash in the top right corner. At 200°-210°F the cooling fan behind the radiator should kick on to cool the coolant. Check to make sure it does, because if not, either the fan or fuse needs replaced. Check the fuse first since it is easier. (Right pod under the seat)

If you have a 2007-2009 FZ6, your cooling fan may have gotten burnt out due to a rock being jammed in the fan blades. That is what happened to me and many other S2(2007-2009) owners. A manufacturing defect on the S2 Fazer prevented the fan fuse from being blown before the fan motor went out due to being jammed. This coupled with the different fan design from the S1 meant that a rock could get perfectly jammed between the fan blade and one of the mounting arms on the fan, thus burning out the fan.

A fan is $80 from a scrapyard, I opted for a $20 automotive fan from Amazon instead. If you do end up having to replace the fan, I would look into making (or buying from forum member TownsendsFJR1300), a little strip of metal that mounts to the bottom of the radiator that prevents rocks from getting lodged in the fan. I would bet a dead fan is the reason your bike is overheating. When was the last time you flushed coolant though?

There are many threads on the dead fan syndrome on here, search in the search bar if you want to read them.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

studerman1

Reaction score
Visit site
Its a 2006 fz and the Fan I've hear running so I know that works. the temp stays in the middle or one bar above the middle. the last time I took the cap of there was not a retaining screw so that may be a problem.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Then I guess all it could be is the thermostat unfortunately.

I have never replaced that before. Maybe someone else here can verify that that is the problem.

studerman1

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I feel like an idiot... the radiator cap wasn't all the way on. so I put it all the way on and heated the bike back up. no leak! also the fan kicked on like it should. Thanks for the help!
my cap also didn't have a screw down part it was just like a normal radiator cap.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just had mine service amonth ago- mech. said the cap was low so replaced it withnew at the right pressure- it doesnt have the lock screw, I'd only fill/top up via the reservoir so prob neverneed to remove it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk