Corbin or Spencer Seat Mod?

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
My first post, this is a great forum. Thanks, everyone.

I've had my '06 FZ6 for about two weeks now, and the stock seat is killing me after riding for about an hour. Should I spend the money for a Corbin, or wait a week for the Spencer mod and save about $300+?

I don't plan to ride all day after day, but I'd like to ride for 3 or 4 hours without pain.

I know the Corbin would be the best, but I wouldn't mind waiting and saving money if the Spencer will be good enough. However, I don't want to do both.

Anyone have experience comparing the two?

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Crbin seats are very very hard just keep that in mind im not saying they are uncomfromtable they are juat hard

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I find Corbin seats to be very hard and slick.

I plan to buy an extra stock seat and send mine off to either Rick Mayer or Russell Day Long.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the spencer seat for an 1800 mile trip. It too is firm but get the supracor foam.. it is pliable and feels really very good.

You won't get the plushness of the Top Sellerie seat but for the price I don't think you could even possibly regret doing it

mopardoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Check with automotive upholstery shops I had mine redone with memory foaming a little reshaping and new cover for 150.00. Way better all day seat goodluck.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I find Corbin seats to be very hard and slick.

I plan to buy an extra stock seat and send mine off to either Rick Mayer or Russell Day Long.

This is what i did and sent mine off for a spencer mod. I liked the seat but i also got it lowered so it was a lot more comfortable in that aspect too. Now i have an extra seat sitting around in the garage lol.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I had the Spencer mod and have had NO regrets at all. I rode to Tennessee and back one day to run the tail of the dragon - no discomfort at all. Don;'t remember how many miles it was, but it was an all day thing. Left around 8 in the morning and got home around 6 or 7 that night.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The problem with this question is that people who upgrade seats (or anything) usually like them and don't go on to trying something else. And for some reason when people pay for something and like it they automatically believe whatever they have is the best. So just because some people will tell what is best doesn't mean another product can't be as good or better.

My guess is any upgrade seat will be better then the stock seat. So you will probably be happy with either choice.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have a standard seat that has been Spencerised, a standard Corbin and a raised and lengthened Corbin.

Corbins are firmer than standard, but their shape makes that comfortable. As for comments about the slickness of Corbins, they are LEATHER !! If you don't treat them, especially when new, then yes they will be slick. My conditioner of choice is lexol and I would say that the more you treat it the less slick it becomes. One advantage that the Corbin has over any standard seat (spencerised or not) is that the base they use is more substantial and it blocks more of the heat form the exhaust (or so my ass informs me!!).

If you want a nicely conditioned Corbin which has seen about 1000 miles and looks and feels as if it came straight from Corbin yesterday, then PM me. I am looking for about $275 plus shipping.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
The problem with this question is that people who upgrade seats (or anything) usually like them and don't go on to trying something else. And for some reason when people pay for something and like it they automatically believe whatever they have is the best. So just because some people will tell what is best doesn't mean another product can't be as good or better..

You know, that makes perfect sense, never thought about it like that :thumbup:

wx4p

Reaction score
Visit site
More props for Spencer...

I just sent my seat for mod including Supracore and am very pleased with the result. Visually, it's near impossible to see a difference, but for me it was a very noticeable comfort improvement that is still getting better with break-in.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine lowered and shaved at a local apholstry shop, they added a thin layer of new gel foam on the top and it made a world of differance in sitting, but for my long rides I have a Airhawk air cushion, works great and can easily do a 600 mile day. Prob not the best if you are planning on doing twistys at high speeds.....

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Texcollect, I'll PM you.

I'm thought Corbin was the best option, but now I'm not sure. I didn't know they took time to break-in. I don't feel like the stock seat is hot from the exhaust, but maybe it will feel hot as the weather gets better. I just know the middle of my ass hurts.

I've got the 1" up and back bar risers coming this week. It seems like if I could be comfortable sitting further back in the pocket of the seat it would feel better.

Spencer seems like a good guy, very reasonably priced, and quick to respond to my email. I have a piece of Tempurpedic foam, I think I'll check with some local shops to see what they could do with it. For now I'll wait for the bar risers and see how it feels.

Thanks again.

PY07FZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Corbin seat. Had it for a year and a half, it's super comfortable and I can ride all day without any discomfort. I bought mine used, got a great deal $200. Wanted to upgrade my seat but didn't want to spend $$$ to buy new. Took about 2 months checking craigslist and kijiji to find it but was worth the effort. Seen 3-4 Corbin seats for the FZ6 for sale on the local craigslist recently so used ones are out there. Keeping the leather conditioned definately helps prevent the seat from becoming slicky.

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Spencer mod with the gel, I am very happy. Spencer turned it around right away so downtime was limited to shipping time. It feels great, no hump in the middle so it feels flatter. Very comfortable, definitely worth the $90 + shipping and downtime.

I'm sure I would love the Corbin but I love the Spencer for a whole lot less $.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Spencer mod with the gel, I am very happy. Spencer turned it around right away so downtime was limited to shipping time. It feels great, no hump in the middle so it feels flatter. Very comfortable, definitely worth the $90 + shipping and downtime.

I'm sure I would love the Corbin but I love the Spencer for a whole lot less $.

Did you do rider and passenger or just rider? I want to do the Spencer but will need to get both as the gal's butt doesn't like the stocker. It does come with an integrated arse warmer, though! Just asking for pricing purposes.

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do rider and passenger or just rider? I want to do the Spencer but will need to get both as the gal's butt doesn't like the stocker. It does come with an integrated arse warmer, though! Just asking for pricing purposes.

I did both, can't say how the passenger feels, I don't usually have passengers. I figured it had to be better than stock, just in case.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had Spencers do mine... I didn't have any mods done to it, just added Supracore. Excellent craftsmanship (cannot tell its been apart) , I'm very happy with the outcome/turnabout time.

Can't speak for the others, but for the price and the craftmanship, I don't think you can beat Spencers...

BTW, on my old FJR, I had a local car seat guy put gel in the seat. Did a great job but put the gel at the back half of the drivers seat (where I can't reach, unless your 6'3") Duh...