Crush washers - OEM or aftermarket?

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Silly question: is there any benefit from an OEM crush washer over a similar-sized crush washer from, say, NAPA?

I drained my coolant (came out looking almost like oil - overdue!), and I can't seem to find the OEM crush washer I ordered a while back. I can get another one Tuesday, or I can go to NAPA and get another copper one of similar size.

Any reason to wait for OEM? I don't mind the wait if it will seal better.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not aviation, there are no penalties for using a part from an auto part store. It's an exterior part I doubt it will have any significant effects.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! Turns out to be a moot point as I can't find anyone in the area that carries the washer. Looks like I'll wait for the OEM part.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off topic but for the oil drain plug, I use a metric, aluminum automotive drain plug washer, works fine. Never needs replacement.

As a side note, I changed the oil in my Yamaha OB engine after buying a Yamaha KIT, that includes the washer.

Originally, Yamaha used the same thin one as used in the bikes. This kit did NOT have that washer but went to the solid aluminum as well. Surprisingly, it torqued down(on the boat engine-same bolt exactly) much quicker and solidly tha the original...