difficulty starting

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
On mobile, bear with me!
So, 06 fz6 with about 17k miles or so. So, this spring I started having issues with starting. Bike runs fine once going, and doesnt have an issue restarting. Only happens afyer sitting at least a couple hours. What happens is I have to crank the bike either more than once before it fires, or for at least 5 seconds.
I have changed plugs to iridium a couple years ago. Filter has about 2k on it and changed last year.
Battery new last year and tests good, starter spins engine very well. No problems at speed either.
A couple of times, the bike has died right after just being started, and twice died while warming up.

I had an issue with a pickup that did something similar, and it wasnt keeping fuel to the injectors and so had to crank longer to pump fuel. I DO hear the pump kick whem I turn the key.

So, my thoughts are pump failing/low pressure. Injectors slightly dirty. So, I am just looking for thoughts, or things to test/how.
I am only on a second tank of fuel, and the first was preserved from last year, so it COULD just be working out old fuel. I am going to dump some seafoam and another tank of fresh gas.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adding good fuel to bad fuel = MORE BAD FUEL...

There's a procedure for checking the fuel pressure in the rail. That will rule in or out the fuel pump.

When starting cold, does is the idle SLIGHTLY HIGHER than warm idle.

What are the idle RPM's hot and cold anyway?

Do you have the shop manual?

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure i have the manual somewhere, granted its for an 07 bit I doubt there is much difference.warm-up ifle is probably slightly higher, but not excessively so. Tje digital tach doesnt lend itself to fine readings really. But idle, cold or warm, doesn't sound any different than it used to. Beimg almost in Canada, it doesnt help that by the time gas gets to me, it is already a couple weeks old. Storage was also longer this year than in years past. So, aside from rail pressure, I think I will drain the fuel and put in new and see what happens. At least good fuel won't make things worse.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If its too lean it could cause the hard cold starts but otherwise run fine.

This would be a good candidate to increase the CO values by 10 points and see if that helps.

You just need a probe or small piece of wire to enable access to the menu by grounding an unused wire and going into diagnostic mode.

Let us know if you're interested.

The other option is to turn all of the sync screws an equal amount. But I don't recall which direction.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll wait and see what fuel does before I start sticking wires in things. A sync would probably be a good idea, but I'll have to by a new digisync or morgan as my merc sticks are not in good shape anymore.