Difficulty Using Center Stand

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
As embarrassed as I am to post this thread, I need to be able to use my center stand. I'm having trouble getting the bike up to open the stand completely. Does anyone else have trouble with this? :confused:

I'm no weakling, I'm 6' and 210lbs and have gotten it on the stand before but with a friend helping with balance. My guess is i don't have the technique down. I've never had a center stand before but my attempts of using it have been from the left side and seated positions. I've tried facing up hill to see if the backward roll would help. I've put all my weight on the foot peg portion which is what did the trick the one time. I've scared my driveway and garage scratching it with the stand. I'm sure i could make a small ramp for the tires for garage use, but I'd like to be able to lube the chain on long trips, set chain slack, etc... on the road.

Is it possible the bike has been lowered?? and how would I know? I got it used a couple months ago and all I could tell that was modified was a painted windscreen. The rear spring is I believe set to factory, 3 clicks from tallest position. I'll try to take some pics this weekend to see if any of you can notice something obvious.

Any help is appreciated!

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, doesn't seem right that you can't get it on the stand. I could do it by putting my weight on the stand and pulling back on the grab rail, popped right up for me.

Put the center stand down slowly until you can feel both sides on the ground, while holding on to the handle bars. Then the bike should be balanced enough that you can let go of the right hand to grab the left hand grab rail. Stand all your weight on the center stand with your right foot and lean towards the back of the bike, pulling with your weight.

Probably about as clear as mud, but that's what I did.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's how I get the bike on the center stand. I use it all the time whether at a gas station, hot asphalt, or parking in the garage.

1. Side stand down and get off the bike to the left.
2. Right foot on the textured tab on the top of the center stand.
3. Right hand on the rear grab rail to stead the bike.
4. Left hand on the handle bars to balance and hold the front wheel straight.
5. Push down on the center stand lightly until both legs are on the ground and the bike is upright; off the kick stand.
6. Make sure the bike is equally weighted on both legs of the center stand. Put most of my weight onto the center stand through right leg.
7. Pull back with my right hand on the grab rail while performing step 6.
8. Up she goes right onto the stand.

Hopefully that'll work for you. I can't put the center stand down while I'm sitting on the bike. I have to be standing to the left side.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, you're all over it Steph! At least now I know my attempts have been somewhat logical. I bet if I tried it in soft(er) ground, it'd work, letting the stand sink a little bit.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the same height and weight as you and most of my weight is pies rather than muscle so I guess my technique should work.

Stand on the left side of the bike, left hand on the left handlebar, right hand on the grab rail. Make sure the bike is steady. Push the centre stand down with your right foot until it just hits the ground and then rock the bike side to side a little to make sure the stand is hitting the ground flat. Then press down with your right foot and pull up with your right hand on the grab rail and the bike should rock up and back onto the stand.

If in doubt put the side stand down too and then if you feel it's not going well you can lean the bike towards you onto it, have a break, and try again.

Once you've done it a couple of times it's pretty easy. Let us know how you get on.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, you're all over it Steph! At least now I know my attempts have been somewhat logical. I bet if I tried it in soft(er) ground, it'd work, letting the stand sink a little bit.

Should work just as well on soft or hard ground. My driveway was gravel, it worked well, but it was just as easy to pop it up in a parking lot.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
CMayer, wish it were as easy for me. I found it fruitless to try it seated but didn't want to leave any options untried.

I have noticed when I put my weight on the stand (step 6) it wants to fall away from me causing me to stop the attempt. I wonder if the stand is bent... hope not but I will look closer when I get home for sure.

thanks!

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
CMayer, wish it were as easy for me. I found it fruitless to try it seated but didn't want to leave any options untried.

I have noticed when I put my weight on the stand (step 6) it wants to fall away from me causing me to stop the attempt. I wonder if the stand is bent... hope not but I will look closer when I get home for sure.

thanks!
When that happens, it means you haven't put the stand down far enough yet. Make sure both sides are touching the ground before you attempt to put weight on and pull it up/back. As you put the stand down with both hands on the handle bars, gently let it stand up to the right. It will feel like it is going too far until you get the feel of it.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
You probably don't have both "feet" of the stand on the ground. Until you do it a few times the bike does feel like it is falling away. Follow the steps as outlined and as you push the stand down with your foot and feel contact with the ground before continuing: LOOK at the other foot of the stand it will probably be an inch or more off the ground even though the bike feels straight. Lean the bike till that foot is touching (dont worry it will be stable) and it will go right up following the directions outlined.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You probably don't have both "feet" of the stand on the ground. Until you do it a few times the bike does feel like it is falling away. Follow the steps as outlined and as you push the stand down with your foot and feel contact with the ground before continuing: LOOK at the other foot of the stand it will probably be an inch or more off the ground even though the bike feels straight. Lean the bike till that foot is touching (dont worry it will be stable) and it will go right up following the directions outlined.

Yeah, what Chris said lol

Well put, this is what I was *attempting* to say

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
it's all technique. my bike has been lowered about an inch and i'm sure it harder than if it were stock.... but still very doable. especially since i'm coming from putting a 650+ lbs bike on it's center stand. :eek:

to help you out a little see if you can put your rear wheel on a 2x4 (or similar). this will make it extremely easy to put it on the center stand. then once you get the technique down you should be able to do it with no problem.

and speaking of technique... something that i've found that works for me but hasn't been mentioned is what part of the foot to use. i find that if i use the ball of my foot that i have a much harder time. i guess i'm not fully putting all my weight on it. but if i use the arch of my foot it is much easier. experiment and see what works for you.

oh, and not only has my bike been lowered, but i have to use a paving stone that is about 2 inches tall (so that makes the bike feel even lower) and i'm about 5'7" so i don't have the leverage that you do. it can be done. it's all about the technique and not the strength.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
When that happens, it means you haven't put the stand down far enough yet. Make sure both sides are touching the ground before you attempt to put weight on and pull it up/back. As you put the stand down with both hands on the handle bars, gently let it stand up to the right. It will feel like it is going too far until you get the feel of it.

If that's all it is I'll post a pic of me blushing with embarrassment, haha. The driveway claims that both sides of the stand are down and digging in more than I'd like. I have a couple strands of scarred concrete that I hope will fade away with time.

I'm definitely going give this a few good hug-ho's when i get home.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a hard time with my center-stand when I first got my FZ6. This video shows the easiest way to lift the bike using the center stand.

Hope this helps you out! I've found the easiest way to lift the FZ6 is to place my left foot on the center stand and push it to the ground until it makes contact. I grasp the center of the handlebars near the Yamaha logo with my left hand while placing my right hand on the passenger footrest bracket. In one motion, I press downward with my foot while lifting/ rocking the bike rearward with both of my hands. The process sounds complicated, but the included video shows how simple it really is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6jGdzn4V4]YouTube - Motorcycle Tip - How to Lift onto Center Stand[/ame]

Last edited:

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If that's all it is I'll post a pic of me blushing with embarrassment, haha. The driveway claims that both sides of the stand are down and digging in more than I'd like. I have a couple strands of scarred concrete that I hope will fade away with time.

I'm definitely going give this a few good hug-ho's when i get home.

LOL no need to be embarrassed, the reason I know is because I had the exact same issues!! No worries! Hopefully this thread will help out others as well.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
it's all technique. my bike has been lowered about an inch and i'm sure it harder than if it were stock.... but still very doable. especially since i'm coming from putting a 650+ lbs bike on it's center stand. :eek:

to help you out a little see if you can put your rear wheel on a 2x4 (or similar). this will make it extremely easy to put it on the center stand. then once you get the technique down you should be able to do it with no problem.

and speaking of technique... something that i've found that works for me but hasn't been mentioned is what part of the foot to use. i find that if i use the ball of my foot that i have a much harder time. i guess i'm not fully putting all my weight on it. but if i use the arch of my foot it is much easier. experiment and see what works for you.

oh, and not only has my bike been lowered, but i have to use a paving stone that is about 2 inches tall (so that makes the bike feel even lower) and i'm about 5'7" so i don't have the leverage that you do. it can be done. it's all about the technique and not the strength.

Thanks Dean... I've got just the piece of lumber for the job.

Yasso

Reaction score
Visit site
I find pulling up, on the back grab rail helps. Also, once the bike is steady on both contact points stand up straight on the stand. Pretty much with your left hand on the handlebars and right on the grab rail, just pushing down by standing up on the stand with most of your weight will pop it up. It takes a little bit of faith that your bike will be ok. As others have said, keep the side stand down, which can also help when you take it off the center stand. And, I believe this techniqe is easier on a firm surface.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would never have imagined it is possible to get the bike onto the centre stand while sitting on it.

Also, I have found that pulling up on the grab rail works better than pulling back. Right foot on the tab, left hand on the bars, right hand on the grab rail, push down with foot and pull up with hand at the same time. I've even done it in bare feet!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple suggestions:

First, it sounds from "falling away causing me to stop" you're afraid of dropping it. Is there another adult in your household or nearby? Perhaps if they "spot" you on the other side of the bike while you practice, it will bolster your confidence. As you tip it up to get the right foot of the stand to touch, it will feel like you're about to drop it - you won't, but you'll have to do it a few times to prove it to yourself.

Second, you could put a square of luaun (thin plywood) under where the stand is to protect your garage floor if you're trying to keep it unscratched for any reason.